MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 22-02-13, 02:51

Default Peter Ford's 13 cab Ford

Hi guys , looks like Peter Ford's son is looking for a home for his dad's Ford 1500 cwt cab 13, they are looking for a museum home for it , also may be option of purchase from the family, hope it finds a good home,
regards Frank
Old 22-02-13, 03:46
carrier mech

Peter's truck was actually a KL with a cargo box on it. There was a display at Camp Dundurn back around 95/96. It was the first trip and display for Peter's truck, and he had a grin from ear to ear when he successfully made the maiden voyage from Saskatoon to Dundurn with no problems.
Old 22-02-13, 03:47
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Peter Ford

For those newer members who perhaps don't know, Peter Ford was an absolute legend of the CMP world. Sadly I didn't get the opportunity to meet him, but did correspond with him from time to time.

Peter was one of the original people interested in, and passionate about Canada's wartime contribution in terms of military vehicles.

I'm sure there are some Canadian members who can fill in more details.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 22-02-13, 15:02

Default Photos From CMP 84

Hi All

For those of you who are new to MLU since CMP 84 was last discussed, a brief description of the event is in order, I was lucky enough to have been invited and attended.

Bill Gregg and Peter Ford were the main force behind a 1984 Historical Symposium which was held at Bill Gregg Home and showcased his extensive collection. But what was most interesting thing was that over three days a symposium was held we got to listen to and talk with many of the key people (14 individuals) behind the development of the CMP . For three days we talked and learned about CMPs and the Canadian Army in WWII.

I have posted all pictures (200+) I took at the Seminar on my web page. http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/CMP84.htm they are viewable in small file size or click on the image to view Hi Resolution.

At the bottom the page you will find printed hand outs for the symposium including the bios of the speakers.

I will forever be indebted Bart Vanderveen, Peter Ford, and Bill Gregg, for intriguing me with CMPs. The order of the names reflects the order I was lucky enough to get to know them. All true gentlemen willing to share their knowledge.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 22-02-13, 19:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Waterman View Post
I have posted all pictures (200+) I took at the Seminar on my web page. http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/CMP84.htm At the bottom the page you will find printed hand outs for the symposium including the bios of the speakers.
Wow, what an amazing event! And what I wouldn't give to have been there!

Thanks for the post Phil, I'm finding it fascinating and informative. I love the way they conscripted the local garage mechanic to maintain the armoured fleet! Nice job on the pics too, esp. the B&W photos, they're highly evocative of WW2 pics. After seeing these I'll definitely be doing some B&W in future, it's easily done with my digital camera. I wouldn't worry about finding the colour negs though, I doubt you'd find anyone to print them nowadays!

Last edited by Tony Wheeler; 22-02-13 at 20:23.
Old 22-02-13, 19:59
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Video

Tony - see this thread.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 22-02-13, 20:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Webb View Post
Tony - see this thread.
Yes I found it when I checked New Posts, which was about 10 seconds after I posted mine! I came back to delete my question but you got here before me!
Old 10-04-16, 13:07
MLU Administrator

So where did Peter Ford's CMP end up? Is it now owned by an MLU member?
Old 10-04-16, 17:04

Hanno.

Peter's son was on the Forum a few years ago but I cannot recall which thread.

David
Old 10-04-16, 17:47
MLU Administrator

Thanks David! Your reply triggered my memory and I did did some searching here on MLU. This is the last message I came across by Chris Ford, so I presume the truck is in one of the museums mentioned below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Ford View Post
1. For a myriad of reasons I decided to sell the rental property with the garage where my dad's CMP was being stored. It sold immediately and the truck must be moved by March 8th (incidently my dad's birthday). I contacted Marilyn Gurney, President of the Organization of Military Museums of Canada (OMMC) who forwarded my willingness to donate the truck to a museum. I received replies from:
New Brunswick Military History Museum;
The RCA Museum in Shilo; EME Museum (which I don't know where it is);
saskatchewan military museum (which is new, and I don't know much about);
Canadian Militaria Preservation Society (http://youtu.be/QDfMighZEiU);
and The Calgary Highlanders Regimental Museum and Archives.

I was wondering if y'all had thoughts about these establishments. I remember my dad speaking of Shilo fondly. I have interest in the truck staying in Sask. and perhaps helping out a fledgling museum, but wonder about it's long-term durability. In general I wonder if a museum will take the truck but never show it.

Colin, you had offered appraisal services. I have attached three pics. The hood is the cab, but can easily be put back on. I would be very thankful if you would be willing to share your knowledge here. In terms of mechanics, I believe the master cylinder for the brakes needed to be replaced and the it had been suggested to sleeve the brake lines. The fan belt is loose and both water pumps leak. The engine starts easily and runs great. (I find that incredible for a 70 year old truck with few tune-ups. - take that Honda!)

Do museums want the truck in running condition? Do they keep it that way? Would it be worth fixing the mechanical stuff before donating?

Old 10-04-16, 19:12
carrier mech

It did not make it to the Shilo Museum. Kind of a shame too.....too many Chevs in the collection now and not enough Fords.

Peter's truck was originally a KL. He had the proper KL deck sitting in the yard, and as well the folding blacksmith's table was in his garage being used as a workbench.
Old 22-08-19, 16:36

Dear forum members,

In 2013, I donated Peter Ford’s KL 1943 Ford to the Regimental Museum in Calgary curated by Captain Peter Boyle. The museum was in the process of major renovation at the time, but hopefully is well established now. There, I was told, it would be kept indoors, in running order, under the care of a knowledgeable and caring mechanic. I have not yet been updated as to whether it is on display at this time or when it might be, but it was my hope that it would be and that I could take my family to see it from time to time. I hope it’s home will be a good one.

Sorry it couldn’t be Shilo, Rob! It was a base my dad would mention now and again, and just in the way he would say it, you knew he had great respect for it, and driving not too far from it the other day, brought that back to mind.

Another loose end:

CMP 84 convention- I started to digitize my copy of it a long while back and completed half. Then major renos happened in my basement. I will attempt to refind and finish the digitization and I think I could put it on YouTube. Sadly, the audio is indeed difficult to understand. Too difficult for an amateur like me, but perhaps others with more contextual understanding could make more of it and even subtitle.

Update: The 5 reels of the 1984 CMP Seminar can be viewed on Youtube here:
Reel #1: https://youtu.be/zivENLfZcb4
Reel #2: https://youtu.be/Dg3Ow_yqt9g
Reel #3: https://youtu.be/je2FeuUCSBE
Reel #4: https://youtu.be/dtDhnMqkBIY
Reel #5: https://youtu.be/fDQR7IW2LD4

Last edited by Chris Ford; 24-08-19 at 20:47.