MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > Your Relatives

Notices

Old 10-03-13, 16:55

Default 1/4 Royal Scots (Territorial Force)

I have just learned one of my Great Uncles served in this Regiment during World War One and was with them in France during the summer of 1918. He was a Corporal serving as an Acting Sgt.

Can someone clarify for me: (a) How to interpret the "1/4" (I think it defines the relationship between Btn and Rgt) and (b) what a Territorial Force was in the British Army.

This particular relative was born and spent his life in Scotland.

Thanks,

David
Old 10-03-13, 22:49
Terry Warner

The 1st is likely the battalion number. The fourth is a bit of a puzzler. It may be the 4th Regiment of the Royal Scots. Some units were always numbered, regardless of logic. However, history tolerates the right way, the wrong way and the army way.

As an aside, there were some regiments (ie. badged regiments) that raised dozens of battalions that fed the giant yawning mah that was the Western Front, depots, replacements and remusters.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 12-03-13, 19:14
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: 1/4 Royal Scots

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
Can someone clarify for me:
Quote:
(a) How to interpret the "1/4"
David;

In answer to your first question:

- In August 1914, with the outbreak of the Great War, units of the Territorial Force were given the option of serving in France. Upon the outbreak of war, The Royal Scots consisted of two regular battalions (1st and 2nd), a reserve battalion (3rd) and seven Territorial Force battalions (4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, and 10th). With the seven Territorial Force battalions of The Royal Scots, having all volunteered for overseas service, in September 1914, a duplicate of each Territorial Force battalion was raised (except for the 2/6th, which was raised in March 1915) to take their place in home defence duties. To differentiate between the battalions that had volunteered for overseas service and their duplicate battalions that took their place in home defence, the Territorial Force battalions that had volunteered for overseas service were designated the 1/4th, 1/5th, 1/6th, 1/7th, 1/8th, 1/9th, and 1/10th, while their duplicate battalions were designated the 2/4th, 2/5th, 2/6th, 2/7th, 2/8th, 2/9th, and 2/10th.

Quote:
(b) what a Territorial Force was in the British Army.
In answer to your second question:

- The Territorial Force (TF) was the volunteer reserve component of the British Army from 1908 to 1920. The Territorial Force was formed by the Secretary of State for War, Richard Burdon Haldane, following the enactment of the Territorial and Reserve Forces Act 1907, which combined and reorganised the old Volunteer Army with the remaining units of Militia and Yeomanry. With the exception of the Foot Guards, the Irish regiments, the King's Royal Rifle Corps and Rifle Brigade, the infantry regiments formed a total of 207 battalions of the Territorial Force. On formation, the Territorial Force consisted of 14 infantry divisions, and 14 mounted yeomanry (cavalry) brigades. The Territorial Force was formed on 1 April 1908 and was reconstituted as the Territorial Army in 1920.

Cheers
Old 13-03-13, 17:57

Thank you so much, Mark.

I only just discovered this Great Uncles Marriage Cert from July 1918 in Edinburgh Scotland and it gave both his civil occupation as School Teacher and present occupation as Sgt in the 1/4 Royal Scots, posted at that time in France.

Sadly, his Service Records were one on the many lost while in Storage in WW2 during the London Blitz, but I did find the Index Cards related to his Medals, which confirmed his Regiment and Number and also clarified his rank as Cpl/AA Sgt.

Another little bit of the family puzzle sorted out.

Best regards,

David