MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 26-12-17, 19:41

Default WWI Memorial Plaque

Hanno. This could be a place to start a Memorial Plaque Page.
What do you think?
Any information on what DE Co. building this was displayed at? Approximately 4'x3'
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1706-Memorial-Plaque.jpg   IMG_2191.jpg   IMG_2192.jpg   IMG_2193.jpg   IMG_2194.jpg  

Last edited by benamucke; 14-05-18 at 16:18. Reason: Add more pictures
Old 27-12-17, 13:58
Terry Warner

Very impressive casting. Without a doubt there are others like it languishing unappreciated. I happen to have a large cast aluminum bas-relief of a globe showing the two Americas. It came off a building that had been abandoned.

There are on-line corporate records sites. You can see when Dominion Express Company ceased operations. But I have no idea who they were or what they did.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 27-12-17, 14:56

Hi benamucke

Any chance of a close up of some of the names?

regards
Darrell
Old 27-12-17, 15:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell Zinck View Post
Hi benamucke

regards
Darrell
Yes I can do that. The plaque now resides in our garage. The plan was to mount it to the rear of our house under the deck.
Regards
Ben
Old 27-12-17, 15:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by maple_leaf_eh View Post
Very impressive casting. Without a doubt there are others like it languishing unappreciated. I happen to have a large cast aluminum bas-relief of a globe showing the two Americas. It came off a building that had been abandoned.

There are on-line corporate records sites. You can see when Dominion Express Company ceased operations. But I have no idea who they were or what they did.
This Plaque was destined for the scrap yard. It was purchased and stored for 15 years, lost that space and now it sits in the garage. It will be mounted to back of our house?
Ben
Old 27-12-17, 15:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell Zinck View Post
Hi benamucke

regards
Darrell
Yes I can do that. Looking for gloves shovel camera hat boots.
Regards
Ben

Last edited by benamucke; 27-12-17 at 16:26.
Old 28-12-17, 01:28

That is an amazing memorial plaque and I heartily applaud that you have taken it into safe care and custody for all these years. There are endless "right things" that can been done with it beyond mounting on a back wall, and it would to great to see it used as a learning/teaching vehicle for students, track down relatives of the fallen, remount in a armoury or rededicated by a unit that has the most persons listed on it. Have Veterans Affairs recognize the plaque of HISTORIC significance and set it in the CWM alongside the huge (and similar) T. Eaton Memorial plaque in the Lebreton Gallery (my favourite suggestion). Anyways I once more thank you for "doing the right thing" in the past by saving it and hope it is given a fitting and respectful place for display into the future.
Old 28-12-17, 04:19

Default Dominion Express history

Dominion Express seems to have been in the freight/courier business. Founded 1873, independent until 1882 when they were bought by Canadian Pacific Railway. Operated as Canadian Pacific Express from 1926. Later merged with Smith Transport, then converted to Interlink Transport about 1994 and seems to have ceased operation about 1997.
Canadian Pacific’s Dominion Express had a building put up on the northwest corner of Simcoe and Wellington streets (Toronto) in 1914. Given that the OP is Toronto based this might be the source building. They also built in Montreal about the same time. Dominion Express probably had buildings in other major Canadian cities as well as offices in many train stations (particularly those served by CP?).
Sources: http://www.dardpi.ca/wiki/index.php?...xpress_Company
http://www.trha.ca/trha/exploring-th...-express-sign/
https://spectrum.library.concordia.ca/492/
http://www.trainweb.org/oldtimetrain...s/history.html
http://www.imtl.org/montreal/buildin...on_Express.php
Old 28-12-17, 05:47

Might be worth taking a close look around all the edges and back, as there might be foundry markings on it from the company that cast the plaque. If so, they might lead you somewhere regarding the history behind it.

David
Old 29-12-17, 11:36

Default Memorial Plaque

Quote:
Originally Posted by James P View Post
That is an amazing memorial plaque and I heartily applaud that you have taken it into safe care and custody for all these years. There are endless "right things" that can been done with it beyond mounting on a back wall, and it would to great to see it used as a learning/teaching vehicle for students, track down relatives of the fallen, remount in a armoury or rededicated by a unit that has the most persons listed on it. Have Veterans Affairs recognize the plaque of HISTORIC significance and set it in the CWM alongside the huge (and similar) T. Eaton Memorial plaque in the Lebreton Gallery (my favourite suggestion). Anyways I once more thank you for "doing the right thing" in the past by saving it and hope it is given a fitting and respectful place for display into the future.
James, I've thought of giving it to the ROM but for now I will hang on to it. The Ottawa one is to far for me, although it probably is the best place for this plaque.
Ben
Old 29-12-17, 21:53

If it is a question of getting the Dominion Express Plaque from your location to Ottawa I would gladly drive down and deliver it to the CWM, the offer is open and unconditional. It is like it (and all other "orphaned" plaques like your plaque) is meant to be on display alongside the T.Eaton Memorial plaque, it just looks right on so many levels.

http://www.warmuseum.ca/collections/artifact/1369276/

Last edited by James P; 30-12-17 at 02:17.
Old 31-12-17, 02:32
Terry Warner

Send an email to Carol Reid at the CWM. You may use my name. She will send you a description and offer form. Like everything in Ottawa, there is a committee that accepts or declines donations. Be as articulate as you can and give their classification people as much research as you can. Not calling them lazy, but doing the leg work will ease the decision.

The current management doesn't accept everything people offer. For instance, she has nearly a hundred of the Feb 1917 Vimy Ridge map sheets. Most were carried by ordinary soldiers, with little to distinguish one sheet from the next. You might have good luck if (as I jest) it was carried in LtCol Smythe-Biteme's left breast pocket next to the picture frame of his sweetheart in Moose Lick, Manitoba. And, his battalion valiantly was the first over the top, the first to their objectives and the last to be relieved, thanks to his impressive leadership ... (cough) (cough)

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 01-01-18, 15:41

Default Memorial Plaque

Terry I think I will hang on to this WWI plaque for now. I have some plans of what to do.
Ben
Old 01-01-18, 21:03
HUP guy

Default Canadian Memorials Database

Veteran Affairs Canada has a National Inventory of Canadian Military Memorials numbering more than 7500. The database is searchable.

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/rememb...dian-memorials

Ben, I didn't find your Dominion Express Company plaque listed. It might be worthwhile to register it there.

Cheers,

Brian
Old 04-01-18, 11:35

Thanks for the link, will post information there.
Ben
Old 10-01-18, 21:00

Default Memorial Plaque

As James had stated...an amazing piece! You often see similar memorial plaques in older churches. About 10 or more years ago, while attending a performance of Christmas Story at the Church of the Holy Trinity (behind the Eaton Center, downtown Toronto), I noticed such a plaque mounted on a wall inside the church...it was very moving. My background is Ukrainian and hence I grew up attending mass at a Ukrainian Catholic Church(s). I had never seen anything like this in a Ukrainian church and thought that it would be great to have something like this in the church that I currently attend. I approached our parish priest about whether our church would be open to the idea of having something made up and mounted to one of the walls....the response was "most certainly". I put pen to paper, came up with a design and had the plaque made. "Act of Remembrance" is cast into the left side of the plaque with a similar message in Ukrainian for "Remembrance Day" cast into the right side of the plaque. It was mounted on a wall near the front entrance where everyone can see it as they enter church. Our parish priest has always performed a special Remembrance Day ceremony at the front of the church but is now performed in front of the memorial plaque. Christ The Good Shepherd Parish, St. Michaels Ukrainian Catholic Church, 182 Sixth Street, Etobicoke (Toronto), Ontario.
Attached Thumbnails
Remb.Day.Pla.Chrch. 001 (2).jpg   Nov.11 2017 Remebrance Day (3).jpg  
1943 GM HUA (Project)
1962 Daimler Ferret (Sold)
Old 24-01-18, 18:59

Default Memorial Plaque

R.J. Mouder (Not MouNder) 3RD Reserve Bn CDN Infantry Alliston ON.

Ben in Toronto
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1840.jpg  
Old 25-01-18, 19:17

Default WWIMemorial Plaque

W. S. Moir 60th Bn CDN Infantry born Scotland
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1843.jpg  
Old 26-01-18, 16:45

John Robinson 43rd Bn Canadians North Kippel Ontario
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1845-ROBINSON.jpg  

Last edited by benamucke; 26-01-18 at 19:30. Reason: Selling of Kippel
Old 29-01-18, 18:22

Ewart Gladstone Berry 18th Bn CDN Inf Guelph ON
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1851.jpg  
Old 29-01-18, 18:39

Thomas Cartlidge "E" Coy. 73rd Bn CDN England
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1852.jpg  
Old 29-01-18, 21:01
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by benamucke View Post
Hanno. This could be a place to start a Memorial Plaque Page.
What do you think?
Hello Ben,

I think it is best located in the WW2 Military History & Equipment subforum, so I moved it to here.

It is a great subject, as many memorial plaques can be found in public places. A quick search for "memorial plaque" on www.tracesofwar.com yeiled more than 2,700 results!

An example in the Netherlands are the memorial plaques at train stations to commemorate the staff who had fallen during WW2 - see http://www.nicospilt.com/index_gedenktekens.htm (in Dutch).

HTH,
Old 30-01-18, 00:31

Default WWI Memorial Plaques

Hanno that is a great idea.
Ben
Old 30-01-18, 00:38

Attached are two pictures of the Memorial plaque at the train station in Beverwijk, Noord Holland.
"Dirk J. Koopman" was my fathers uncle......a typical case of being at the wrong place at the wrong time. As a reprisal for a number of liquidations by the local resistance, the Germans captured 486 young man. Some people were picked up after door to door searches, others were just picked off the street.

We still don't know what Dirk was doing in Beverwijk (he lived in Haarlem)....he might be looking for work at the Steel factory, but he certainly was at the wrong place at the wrong time. He was captured at the Beverwijk train station, transported with nearly 500 others to Amersfoort by freight car, than to Germany, never to be seen alive again.

We have since found out he spent time in two camps and had to do forced labour in chemical factories. The second one was "Leuna Werke", started by BASF, but owned by IG Farben at the time. The camp was located in Ammendorf, which is where he died in early 1945.
We have managed to find detailed reports of the regular allied bombing raids on the factory, but the date he died, doesn't match any of the bombardments. However the Germans forced the prisoners to clean up rubble and unexploded bombs after each bombing raid.....who knows, he might have died from an unexploded bomb.....or spilled chemicals?

https://razziabeverwijk.nl/persoon/160/dik-koopman

Alex
Attached Thumbnails
274.jpg   273.jpg  
Old 30-01-18, 10:51

Sorry guys, it was last late last night and I hadn't spotted I posted the WW2 memorial plaque in a WW1 thread!

Hanno, could you move it to a more appropriate thread?

Alex
Old 14-05-18, 16:35

Default More Names on WWI Plaque

Last of the names on Memorial Plaque.
Ben
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2195.jpg   IMG_2196.jpg   IMG_2197.jpg   IMG_2198.jpg   IMG_2199.jpg  

Old 16-05-18, 07:44
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

Default WW2 plaque

On monument for Worthington Force near Hill 140, Operation Totalize.
Attached Thumbnails
Worthington.jpg  
Old 28-11-18, 12:58

Default Dominion express memorial

Hi
My Great Uncle Frank Hannell is remembered on this plaque. A few years ago there was a posting on the CEF Research website asking if anyone knew the whereabouts of this plaque.
Old 05-02-24, 14:34
MLU Administrator

Default Toronto Star Weekly 1922-05

Darryl R. Toews, Researcher, Manitoba Historical Society, wrote:

Quote:
"I have been researching the Dominion Express Company WWI memorial tablet and was grateful for the close up pics in the attached thread.
I wanted to add a news clipping to the thread but I am unable to register. Perhaps you could add the attached news clipping for me?"

Click image for larger version

Name:	Toronto_Star_Weekly_1922-05-06-P16.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	480.5 KB
ID:	136961