MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 31-01-18, 06:07

Default Radio in Movie

I saw the movie 'The Day the Earth Caught Fire' made in 1961, during my midday break today.

The cast were listening to a message to the nation on a Wireless Set 19.

It had the power supply and appeared to have all it's correct wiring, even both aerial leads running off somewhere. I found it quite impressive.

Incidentally no-one touched it or fiddled the dials.

One actor said they were running it from their own power so it would not be cut off during the speech,

The only item I queried was the Military speaker sitting on top and no headphones in sight, But still very plausible.

In 1961 the set 19 may have been new or at least in excellent condition.

.................................................. ..................

I always get a chuckle when war movies use a BC611 handy talkie with the aerial cap still on.

Name:  bc611.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  16.8 KB

For information the BC611's aerial cap has to be removed and the aerial withdrawn to switch on the batteries.
In war this radio is very handy when your throat gets sore from shouting to the next trench.

cheers rod
Old 31-01-18, 12:27
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default movie

I watched the beginning of that movie . Leo McKern, the Australian actor was in a leading role. Didn't see the 19 set, I must have gone outside ! Another thing the movie makers always leave out is sound of the genemotor whining away , it makes quite a decent noise , like a jet engine .

That horrible ridiculous Pearl Harbour movie has scenes of a guy using a BC 611 , he is talking to a P40, the pilot is flying around evading zeros !
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 31-01-18, 14:58

In the Paramarines movie there is a dialog between two using radios that are not on the same frequency. In operation pacific John Wayne makes a announcement to the crew of the submarine. He is talking into a loudspeaker. The radio in the tank in Sahara (original) is a hodge podge of various radio parts. Some recognizable as from the SCR-508 and other sets. I guess because of my 35 years tinkering with the sets, I notice those things.
Old 31-01-18, 20:06
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

There are several issues with the 19 set. A close look shows that the only aerial lead is attached to the "B" set connector. The "A" set has nothing. The power supply doesn't have a dogbone but a connector that comes straight out. There is a hole to the top right where a fuse holder was. It looks like the connector where the control box cable should connect has something taped there. The top of the power supply has an opening where it looks like it's been pushed in. The panel meter shows zero volts.

It would have been better if the CR100 beside it was used.

However this is the movie industry and props are props. I once rented a Canadian Marconi receiver to the production company of "Sanctuary" including a psu that would light the dial lights. Didn't use it. Put it on the table and played pretend.
Old 01-02-18, 05:36

Default Wireless be Damned....

Hey Rod....I don't know anything about wireless radio, but any body that can get to watch a 1 hour 36 minute movie over a mid day break......MAN... I WANT YOUR JOB! Cheers.....Robert
Old 01-02-18, 11:24

Bruce you must have good eyesight,

Robert, at my age mid day break can start at 11.30 and finish at 3.10 after coffee

Makes you wonder who the movie company's use for research,

rod