Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 23-01-07, 21:22
Mr. HUP

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Gough
Hi Rob,

I think the C8A 'wreck' that Mike found is located in that wonderful Eastern Canadian province that you did the travelogue on recently.

see Map Reading Skills

http://www.mapleleafup.org/forums/sh...6441#post66441

Brian
Hi Brian,

I may need to narrow down the location somewhat - Diesel is getting expense, but the tour of the Picture Province would be nice...

As far as I am concerned, any HUP wreck will do! By the way, do you have any CMP six bolt sixteen inch split rims for sale or trade?

Cheers,

Rob
Old 24-01-07, 04:21

Default Re: Re: Re: Another

Quote:
Originally posted by RHClarke
Er, Mike,

Just out of idle curiosity, where did you see this wreck? Bob? Didja see this post?
hi rob

brian is correct, it lies down here in lobster land.......the old road between welsford and fredericton junction at clarendon. trying to buy it would be a waste of time....i have tried. at first i got a very long story about how it belonged to "the man of the house" who had passed on and that it was some sort of memorial to him. later i find out that it really belonged to the son....who still has the body and a ton of parts in a barn.....still not forsale. i have left a card with both the owner and the mother of the owner(whose property it rests on) incase they change their minds. about once a year i take a drive up to see if it still remains and to see if there has been a change of heart. no, i have no interest in a hup, but if salvable, i would like to see it go to a good home.

mike
Old 25-01-07, 21:42

This is an unpublished snapshot that Jan Vandevelde, an RE WD/CO owning friend picked up recently out of curiosity over the motorcycle. The original is a bit indistinct but our best guess is that it is an Ariel.

My limited CMP recognition skills can pick out a Chevrolet badge. Could anyone provide any further information?
Old 27-01-07, 21:53

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Another

Quote:
Originally posted by mike mckinley
hi rob

brian is correct, it lies down here in lobster land.......the old road between welsford and fredericton junction at clarendon. trying to buy it would be a waste of time....i have tried. at first i got a very long story about how it belonged to "the man of the house" who had passed on and that it was some sort of memorial to him. later i find out that it really belonged to the son....who still has the body and a ton of parts in a barn.....still not forsale. i have left a card with both the owner and the mother of the owner(whose property it rests on) incase they change their minds. about once a year i take a drive up to see if it still remains and to see if there has been a change of heart. no, i have no interest in a hup, but if salvable, i would like to see it go to a good home.

mike
Speak for yourself Michael!! I have been after that truck for the past 15 years!! I will set out to trap, kill, and skin any certain"Ford" type vehicle and trailer combinations including the "crew" thereof that attempts to pass into Sunbury County in a desparate but futile attempt to import any more further CMP veh into the general vicinity of Hammond Ont!!!!
Cheers, Bill
Old 27-01-07, 23:32
Mr. HUP

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Another

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mulholland
Speak for yourself Michael!! I have been after that truck for the past 15 years!! I will set out to trap, kill, and skin any certain"Ford" type vehicle and trailer combinations including the "crew" thereof that attempts to pass into Sunbury County in a desparate but futile attempt to import any more further CMP veh into the general vicinity of Hammond Ont!!!!
Cheers, Bill
Knowing full well the dire consequences of trespassing into Wild Bill territory makes this even more of a challenge! But, out of respect for my elders, I will stand down and will concentrate on the hunt closer to home...like Manitoba!

PM on the way to you, Bill.
Old 27-01-07, 23:32

bill.....how, in all our collective conversations, did i miss that you had an interest in that truck???? duke of hammond and pit crew be warned.....confuscious said a lot of things, but the most important one he forgot....never mess around with a man who ownes a diamond t.......let alone two of them!! mike
Old 27-01-07, 23:49
Mr. HUP

Default Take 'er easy, bye.

Quote:
Originally posted by mike mckinley
never mess around with a man who ownes a diamond t.......let alone two of them!! mike
I never intended to get you Herring Chokers' panties in a knot. Please accept my humble apology.

Do note, that the "crew" have plenty of parts for trade - Hey Bob! What's that about a trailer frame?

By the way, the CMP hunting is looking pretty good in Northumberland County and points north...
Old 28-01-07, 16:34

Default Knotted Knickers

Surely, only in jest I say. Yes, I have been after this truck for a number of years. When I first came across it, it was in very restorable condition, but sadly it has deteriorated to the point that it is not even useful as a pattern. The "parts" that are in the barn(also deteriorated) have been allowed to sit in the annual puddle that acumulates in the rotten barn and are just about to return to the earth. Sad tale, but it's the old story of "I'm gonna fix 'er up one of these days". BTW Rob, I have spies in all corners of the "Picture Province" who have been forwarned about the nefarious activities of "Upper Canadians" attempting to make off with our historic artifacts. Descriptions of truck/trl combinations and the "crew" have been circulated by carrier pigeon! BEWARE!!
Cheers, Bill

PS Got the PM
Old 28-01-07, 23:39
Mr. HUP

Default Re: Knotted Knickers

Quote:
.... BTW Rob, I have spies in all corners of the "Picture Province" who have been forwarned about the nefarious activities of "Upper Canadians" attempting to make off with our historic artifacts. Descriptions of truck/trl combinations and the "crew" have been circulated by carrier pigeon! BEWARE!!
Cheers, Bill

PS Got the PM
Bill, Bill, Bill.

Yes I live in Upper Canada, but you know where my heart really lives. I have family and friends all throughout Nouveau Brunswick who know of my interests. Perhaps we can strike an accord, and network? I would hate to have to skulk around such a beautiful part of United Canada, forever watching my back for the lobster shell and gut ambush!

Chances are, the only time you will see the "crew" is going to or coming from Nova Scotia. But, rest assured, we are looking northwest and not down east for our next haul.

Yours in good faith,
Old 29-01-07, 00:57

Default Peace..........

Rob, as you know, I am a peaceful man! I may start an earnest search for a good home for the recently acquired T, and go on the hunt for another CMP. The Burton LAD will accomodate another CMP, but not quite enough room for the T. So..........
Cheers, Bill :
Old 29-01-07, 02:01

Default Re: Peace..........

Quote:
Rob, as you know, I am a peaceful man! I may start an earnest search for a good home for the recently acquired T, and go on the hunt for another CMP. The Burton LAD will accomodate another CMP, but not quite enough room for the T. So..........
Cheers, Bill :
..........bill, .....if i only had a proper garage
Old 29-01-07, 22:24

Default Does this mean.....

.... we are no longer going to the East coast this weekend????

I see we will need to apply camo paint to the Furd....and armored plates........less Uncle Bill sees us........

Awright... truce for now...... tiz too snowy outthere now anyways........ were to do we go hunting next Rob....????

BooB
Canada
Old 29-01-07, 22:53
MLU Administrator

And now a recent pic . . . taken at IAF Museum, Palam, India. Source: www.warbirdsofindia.com
Attached Thumbnails
palam_iafm04.jpg  
Old 03-02-07, 01:17
Derek Heuring

Default Re: In the background

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Webb
Just came across this pic with a 15 cwt CMP in the background (missing a mudguard) and wondered what similar pics you people may have come across where the CMP was incidental to the photograph.
[/URL]
Here's a shot of the 20th Field Engineer Co., R.C.E. building "Monty's Bridge" in August of 1944. Is that a 30 or 60cwt in the background?
Attached Thumbnails
r.c.e. monty\'s bridge aug. 12, 1944  caen.jpg  
Old 03-02-07, 01:28
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner
Caption: Private James Sproul of the 10th Field Regiment, Royal Canadian Engineers (R.C.E.), hanging washing on the line, Castel Frentano, Italy, 20 December 1943
Source: LAC - PA-137428

Love this pic, Mark! I try to recreate such a scene when I go to living history encampments and show and tactical battles. While many of the other units have their shelter halves lined up in ranks and files with everything neatly put away, I'll have my long johns hanging from a clothesline, old wool socks that are in the middle of being darned, a half empty bottle of French wine, a table made of ammo crates and a folding chair that I nicked from a local church. Now that's realism! Derek.
Old 05-02-07, 05:55

ROYAL AIR FORCE OPERATIONS IN MALTA, GIBRALTAR AND THE MEDITERRANEAN, 1940-1945.
Operation DRAGOON: the Allied invasion of Southern France. The crash tender of No. 111 Squadron RAF lined up with the flying control 'tower' and vehicles at Sisteron in the south of France, as aircraft of the squadron fly in from Ramatuelle.
Attached Thumbnails
cl_001058.jpg  
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 08-02-07, 11:08

Caption: Bombardier W.J. Black of the 1st Field Regiment Royal Canadian Horse Artillery (R.C.H.A.) pushing Sergeant-Major Jimmy Walker's motorcycle out of the mud, San Pietro, Italy, 26 November 1943
Source: LAC - PA-140560

The motorcycle looks like a Norton to me.

Last edited by Rob van Meel; 08-02-07 at 11:16.
Old 08-02-07, 11:13

Caption: Infantrymen of Le Régiment de Maisonneuve moving through Terborg, Netherlands, 1 April 1945.
Source: LAC - PA-131712

Left hand Motorcycle looks like a Norton to me, too!

Last edited by Rob van Meel; 08-02-07 at 11:23.
Old 08-02-07, 11:22

This is an unpublished snapshot that Jan Vandevelde, an RE WD/CO owning friend picked up recently out of curiosity over the motorcycle. The original is a bit indistinct but our best guess is that it is an Ariel.

Timing cover in sheet metal, and it being OHV: Ariel W-NG to me.

Rob
Old 12-02-07, 06:50

Infantrymen of the 2nd Canadian Infantry Division marching through Caen during Bastille Day celebrations, Caen, France, 13 July 1944.
Date: July 13, 1944.
Photographer: Bell, Ken., Photographer
Attached Thumbnails
a162472-v6.jpg  
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 12-02-07, 06:51

Band of the 2nd Canadian Infantry Division playing during Bastille Day celebrations, Caen, France, 13 July 1944.
Date: July 13, 1944.
Photographer: Bell, Ken., Photographer
Attached Thumbnails
a162473-v6.jpg  
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 12-02-07, 16:02

Default No wonder all the roofs have dents

If you have ever wondered why all CMPs seem to have dented roofs. Pictures like these explain why every other one seems to have some one sitting or standing on the roofs of the cab or sitting on the canvas which they got to by walking on the cab.
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 12-02-07, 18:14
Mr. HUP

Default Re: No wonder all the roofs have dents

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil Waterman
If you have ever wondered why all CMPs seem to have dented roofs. Pictures like these explain why every other one seems to have some one sitting or standing on the roofs of the cab or sitting on the canvas which they got to by walking on the cab.
Phil,

As a young gunner in the '70s, I spent a lot of time on the roof of the deuce and a half spreading out and rolling up cam nets. The hoods and roofs were not meant for traffic, and as a result it was pretty easy to spot gun tractors in the armouries.

Besides offering a nice "roost" from which to watch a parade, I suspect that the need for camouflage contributed to the dents. Even with air supremacy in Italy and NWE, vehicle cam helped make your truck attract less attention (from panzers or low angle of sight air defence gunners).
Old 12-02-07, 18:27

Default Thats it the dents are camo

That’s a great answer in inspections, "Sir that vehicle is not damage it has a disruptive panel treatment to improve its camouflage characteristics”

Also handy explanation for judging at MVPA events where some of the judges don’t understand if the paint is not uneven and it doesn’t have runs in frame paint then it is not authentic.
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 12-02-07, 18:58
Mr. HUP

Default Re: Thats it the dents are camo

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil Waterman
That’s a great answer in inspections, "Sir that vehicle is not damage it has a disruptive panel treatment to improve its camouflage characteristics”

Also handy explanation for judging at MVPA events where some of the judges don’t understand if the paint is not uneven and it doesn’t have runs in frame paint then it is not authentic.
Phil, It is called character. I remember setting up a new army unit on an airbase where we had to quarantine all of our tactical vehicles. The base Transportation Officer condemned all of our trucks. He grilled me over their condition stating that the army trucks were in "horrid" shape when compared to the ground fleet of the local tactical air squadron. I stated that the difference was due to the fact that our tactical vehicles were actually used off-road. Not satisfied, he asked me why there were so many mangled fenders and bumpers. He damned near had a kitten when I told him that we drove the vehicles at night with the lights off and reversed them into woodlines without ground guides!

If you are going to restore a factory fresh CMP, then you can expect some level of perfection, but it must be remembered that even the factory took liberities with the quality program. If you are going to restore a truck to an "operational" level then it is no holds barred in my opinion. Army wrench benders made do using materials at hand, which did not always meet OEM specs.

It is my practice to respond to the critical "purists" by indicating that they are most welcomed to contribute authentic parts or fund a full restoration. All have declined so far. The funny thing is that the purists are not really pure - they use modern fuel and oil...

Love them dents!
Old 13-02-07, 06:43

Ok so the truck is not in the background, but that is because "IT IS THE BACKGROUND"

Title: Headquarters of The Governor General’s Horse Guards during Exercise SNAFFLE, Sussex, England, 10 August 1943.
Date: August 10, 1943.
Photographer: Unknown., Photographer
Attached Thumbnails
a177094-v6.jpg  
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 21-02-07, 23:14
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: In the background

... found this photo:
Attached Images

Old 21-02-07, 23:17
Senior Forum Member

... and this photo:
Attached Images

Old 22-02-07, 00:02
Senior Forum Member

... and one more:
Attached Images

Old 22-02-07, 09:55
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Re: In the background

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner
... found this photo:
Thanks for reposting it. I posted the same pic here yesterday, but the posting (along with many other ones) got wiped by the hiccup in the software. I can tell you MLU will move to a new ISP in the VERY near future!

Here's another picture from http://www.flickr.com/photos/photosnormandie

"Le soldat René Corby du régiment de la Chaudière"
Attached Thumbnails
p010001-resize.jpg