MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 07-08-06, 03:56
RIP

Thanks for all of these photos. The original request was for photos of specific items with which I could illustrate a book on the many vehicles used by the Cdn Army Overseas. That book (Tools of the Trade) was published in April 2005.

Any photos now posted on this thread are for the edification and enjoyment of the MLU'ers as I will not need them.

Many thanks.
Old 02-01-07, 20:40
Senior Forum Member

Talking ... a little late, but......

Quote:
Originally posted by servicepub on May 25th 2004
I am working on a new book that will cover the acquisition and use, by the Canadian Army Overseas, of vehicles and weapons.
This will be heavily ilustrated and I have already located many new photos. However, I am still looking for additional photos of the items listed below. Unless otherwise stated the photos should be of Canadian vehicles or in use by the Canadian Army.
Although I would like never-before-published photos I can use Cdn Archives reference numbers and I will then research other pictures in the same file. Let me know if you can help in this project. Thnx
and

Quote:
Originally posted by servicepub on August 6th 2006
Thanks for all of these photos. The original request was for photos of specific items with which I could illustrate a book on the many vehicles used by the Cdn Army Overseas. That book (Tools of the Trade) was published in April 2005.

Any photos now posted on this thread are for the edification and enjoyment of the MLU'ers as I will not need them.
... well for the edification and enjoyment of MLU'ers, here is a photo of an 'Amphibian Jeep' in Canadian service and markings even........

Enjoy

From LAC: Personnel of the 17th Duke of York’s Royal Canadian Hussars transferring from a "Seep" (waterized jeep) vehicle to the Chevrolet C15A truck which serves as the unit’s bus, Weener, Germany, 13 February 1946 - PA-167682
Attached Images

Old 02-01-07, 22:27
former Resident Historian

Default GPA

P 5219692 to 5219876 and P 5219881 to 5219981, delivered under Ministry of Supply Deamand S/M 2820. However I cannot see any evidence of an account for GPAs in the 1944 Canadian report on vehicles supplied by the British to the Canadians.

My notes say:

"'Amphibian 5 cwt 4x4 SM2820' has dates of 30-4-44, 17-5-44 and 19-4-43, however, does not say to what the dates refer. Other notations on the front of the card are also meaningless to me. The card has allocations on the back, namely UK (Admin) 8, UK 330, ME 111, India 164 and S Africa 8. This totals the 621 vehicles. It appears only 386 were allocated Census Numbers at that time."
Old 03-01-07, 17:19
Senior Forum Member

Post ... and another .....

... and another for the edification and enjoyment of MLU'ers, here is a photo of a Terrapin.......

Source: LAC - PA-136822
caption: Wounded infantrymen of The North Shore Regiment being carried ashore from a Terrapin amphibious vehicle of the 79th Assault Squadron, Royal Engineers (R.E.) (British Army), west of Terneuzen, Netherlands, 13 October 1944

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
a136822-v6 terripin.jpg  
Old 04-01-07, 00:20

There are two references to the use of Terrapins during the battle of the Scheldt in Terry Copp’s new book “Cinderella Army”

(p104) “Another related issue, logistical support for the men in the bridgehead, was the responsibility of the Royal Canadian Army Service Corps, which was to establish and stock a Beach Maintenance Area. They were allotted thirty-eight light amphibious vehicles known as Terrapins, which were to be loaded 'in priority of landing' with ammunition, water, rations, rum, blankets, fuel, and flame-throwing fluid”.

(p108) “General Spry was now a very worried man. The northeast bridgehead was proving to be almost as difficult and costly as the Leopold. His first new plan was to employ the reserve brigade at the southeast corner of the pocket; he abandoned this idea after Algonquin patrols reported that most of 1037th Regiment was still holding its positions. He then decided to send 8th Brigade into the northeast bridgehead, even though this meant supporting two full brigades with a dwindling fleet of Buffaloes. The division's Commander Royal Canadian Army Service Corps came to the rescue, scrounging enough truck transport to deliver thirty-eight Terrapin light amphibious vehicles to a new marshalling area on the east side of the Braakman. The Paulina Polder, just two kilometres across the inlet, was quickly transformed into a supply dump, which was filled on a twice-daily basis.”
Old 06-01-07, 21:54
Senior Forum Member

Post ....Vickers on Carrier....

... and another for the edification and enjoyment of MLU'ers, here is a photo of a 'Vickers on Carrier'.....

Caption: Infantrymen of the Toronto Scottish Regiment in their Universal Carrier waiting to move forward, Nieuport, Belgium, 9 September 1944
(L-R): Privates L.E. Munn, F.T. Parrish, R.C. Felstead, Corporal R.G. Stewart.
Source: LAC - PA-177653

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
a177653-v6 tor scots.jpg  
Old 17-01-07, 23:10
Senior Forum Member

Post .... Wasp flame thrower ....

... and another for the edification and enjoyment of MLU'ers, here is a photo of a pair of 'Wasp flamethrowers'

Caption: Lieutenant Stan Biggs briefing Universal Carrier flamethrower crews of The Queen’s Own Rifles of Canada, Vaucelles, France, 29 July 1944
Source: LAC - PA-136830

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
a136830-v6 wasp.jpg  
Old 18-01-07, 01:18
Derek Heuring

Default Re: List of photos needed

Here's a great shot of a Churchill Ark Mk I of the 79th Armoured Division in use Feb 13th 1944. Courtesy of I.W.M. It's the one on the bottom

If you check a previous thread of mine, 18 Field Engineer Co. R.C.E., there is a good pic of a Churchill Ark Mk II.
Attached Thumbnails
ark churchill 79th armoured div feb. 13th 1944.jpg  

Last edited by sapper740; 19-01-07 at 03:16.
Old 01-04-07, 07:23

Mark

I am referring to your article above on the Canadian marked GPA in Germany. It certainly was from a batch of vehicles supplied to GB under S/M 2820 and involved 621 GPA's, with no mention of Canada. GPA "P5219935" was one of 386 vehicles allocated a "P" number. The balance 235 vehicles may have been numberless.

The Canadians had 3 GPA's overseas (REPORT NO. 141 of CANADIAN MILITARY HEADQUARTERS, SITUATION OF THE CANADIAN MILITARY FORCES OVERSEAS stated;

"The Amphibian Jeep (5-cwt Ford) was first considered by the Canadian Army in May 1943, but this like other amphibian vehicles was to be supplied by 21 Army Group (C.M.H.Q. file 1/Veh Amph/1: Extracts from Agenda for third meeting Cdn M.T. User Committee, 4 May 43; S.D.3, C.M.H.Q. to Trg 3, C.M.H.Q., 5 Oct 43). The first four were received in October 1944 (Historical file: Cdn Units 21 Army Group, "A" and "B" Vehicle Position States)."

Canadian records indicate they received their first GPA in May, 1943 at Hogs Back, Mooneys Bay, Ottawa. A further 20 GPA's were delivered in early 1944, whilst Canada had requested 25 GPA's in June, 1943. Delay had been bought about by very limited supply from the US. All 21 GPA's were attached to Pacific Command in British Columbia by May, 1944. It is most likely the 3 GPA's in use overseas were additional to the 21 GPA's and probably sourced from GB.

I notice the date on the photo is 13 February, 1946 and there appears to be a cover over the driving compartment. Is this photo (PA-167682) from National Archives Canada and have you been able to source other GPA photos from the archives?

It is a shame Canadian archives are so far away.

Ian
Old 01-04-07, 07:51
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Re: ... and another .....

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner
... and another for the edification and enjoyment of MLU'ers, here is a photo of a Terrapin.......
And for further edification one of the very few terrapins to (sort of) survive. It is in John Belfield's collection at Narre Warren.
Attached Thumbnails
terrapin.jpg  

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 11-08-07, 00:36
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by John McGillivray
There are two references to the use of Terrapins during the battle of the Scheldt in Terry Copp’s new book “Cinderella Army”
And here is a picture of two of them, taken at Domburg, The Netherlands in November 1944. Courtesy of Leo Verhagen.

Old 11-08-07, 02:25
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Re: List of photos needed

Clive

It may be time for another trip to manual central..I have the manuals for some of the stuff you want ..like the armoured truck..the Matchless motorcycle and the US M10 3-inch SP motor carriage...and other stuff..
There are some manual quality pictures you can use..
Are you gonna show up at BBB2..??

A

Old 11-08-07, 15:26
RIP

Quote:
Originally posted by servicepub

Many thanks.
Alex
I'll be there Saturday
Old 08-05-08, 12:07
Ronald Wierenga

Quote:
Originally Posted by servicepub View Post

Many thanks.

Here's a photo of a Valentine Bridgelayer with a Ram Badger in the background, the comment with this photo is on the photo (demonstration by Bridgelayer).
As far as i know 5th. Can. Armd. Div. demonstrated their tools of the trade after the war ended, this photo was taken at the Ossenmarkt (Oxmarket) in Groningen.
The picture is scanned from a book called: 32 authentieke foto's van de bevrijding van Groningen (32 authentic photo's of the Groningen Liberation).
N.V. Foresta 1970 Groningen, no ISBN available.

Hope it's of any use, Cheers Ronald.

Last edited by RWDiesel; 08-05-08 at 12:10. Reason: Forgot to post the photo
Old 11-01-20, 22:19
MLU Administrator

Default Ram Badger in Groningen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWDiesel View Post
Here's a photo of a Valentine Bridgelayer with a Ram Badger in the background, the comment with this photo is on the photo (demonstration by Bridgelayer).
As far as i know 5th. Can. Armd. Div. demonstrated their tools of the trade after the war ended, this photo was taken at the Ossenmarkt (Oxmarket) in Groningen.
Ronald's link to the picture was dead, but I was able to find the photo in an online archive:

Click image for larger version

Name:	beeldbankwo2 124900.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	299.8 KB
ID:	111388 Click image for larger version

Name:	beeldbankwo2 124900 (2).jpg
Views:	4
Size:	240.8 KB
ID:	111389
Source: https://beeldbankwo2.nl/nl/beelden/d...8-4f3897b27da5