MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 03-12-07, 03:38
Allan Cameron

Default The Memories Recovered Project

Hey guys,great site! I wanted to let you know about what I'm doing here in Alberta,but very shortly to continue across Canada.
Please check it out...www.memoriesrecoveredproject.com It will be updated and content added hopefully soon,but it gives you the idea of what I'm doing and why I'm doing it.
By the way,does anyone know if it is true that Farley Mowat lives in Cape Breton(St.Peter's to be exact) part of the year? I'd love to have him sign my copies of "My Fathers son", and the others as well. I'll be heading to Cape Breton and Amherst, Nova Scotia as well over the Christmas holidays to do interviews with The North Nova Scotia and Cape Breton Highlanders for the project,which is currently going through the application process to soon be a non profit organization.
Anyway,enough babbling!
Cheers all!

Last edited by Cammy; 03-12-07 at 03:46.
Old 03-12-07, 04:01
Vets Dottir 2nd

Hi Cammy, from one of the few "Gal's" on board in MLU.

I just visited your site and am really impressed with what you're doing and what drives you (I also love the animated and music into, great mood and entrance) I can hardly wait to see what other content you add as you go.

I especially love knowing that you're hoping to get these interviews and knowledge into the public and the schools. And even more than that, am glad of any and all people who are helping vets to tell and share their stories and recognizing and appreciating them INDIVIDUALLY and PERSONALLY for what they've done for all of us, and what that costed/costs them.

I watched a program today called the Reservation Soldiers (or some such) and found it really moving to hear the young people. What awesome rolemodels these young mena and women soldiers will be. Lotsa proud relatives and friends!!!! Putting awareness out in the general public will go far to breaking some stereotyping and maybe make people look a little deeper than preconceived notions before speaking and acting. That would be cool

Welcome to MLU

Karmen (nickname)
Old 03-12-07, 05:21
Allan Cameron

Thank you Karmen! I'm trying to do what I can to give back to the veterans. I will give them a voice, as well as the chance to document their experiences here in Canada and overseasfor historical and educational purposes.
I also want to make sure their family has documentation of their expoits firsthand in dvd form, which I feel is as important as having it for history's sake.I learned this as since I first started the actual interviews in October of 2006,four of my veterans passed away.
It is at this point that the families undestand why I'm doing this project; to hear directly from the actual veteran what they did and why they did it all those years ago.
I feel so lucky to be able to do this as legions andindividuals are starting to donate to the project,which will allow more interviews to be documented.
Again, thanks for the kudos, and I'm sorry to babble on but it is truly my passion !
Cheers!
Old 03-12-07, 05:50
Vets Dottir 2nd

Please keep babbling on as this is what MLU is all about, the veterans and history, and why Geoff's brilliance started this brilliant site.

I'm really big on understanding for families wanting and getting more family history and understanding of their family. A major beauty of the Vets telling their stories is that the younger generations, especially FAMILY, understands their elder relatives and generations better, and therefore values them more. The telling of the stories brings them closer together through knowing and understanding each other better.

The older generations were so quiet about everything to the younger ones.

I know, for myself, learning the histories and stories about my own relatives who served, I learned a lot more than just that. I learned to UNDERSTAND them better (that whole generation in fact), value and appreciate them better as human beings and for what they contributed to life. Amazing people, all of them, dealing with amazing events and life and world changing things they faced and dealt with and lost so much in the dealing wit it all. I see them deeper and better now when I look at Vets or soldiers ... ignorance needs a light and the Vets stories are the light that does away with the ignorance and lack of respect, as far as I'm concerned.

Enough already ... I babble too. Which is one of the reasons they call me Yappy in here Oh well.

Karmen
Old 03-12-07, 10:32

A really great effort, wish you every success.

What is the music at the begining.

Regards

Col
Downunder
Old 03-12-07, 16:19
Allan Cameron

Hey Col,thanks for the good word. The site has little in the way of content right now,but I hope that will change with a new web guy.I plan on adding actual interviews. My old web guy didn't have time to make changes or add content, but they did build the site as a donation which was great!
As for the theme music,I'm not sure what it is.Very heroic though!
Justy a word on your veteran status.I will be eventually interviewing Vietnam veterans here in Canada,and wanted to say thank you for your contribution during that conflict. What was your role if you don't mind me asking?
Cheers!
Old 03-12-07, 20:12

I was a C130 Hercules Loadmaster in the RAAF.

In order to avoid large amount of info, that could be a overkill, put your questions to

herkman@bigpond.com

Regards

Col
Old 03-12-07, 22:47
Paul

Default Re:- The Memories Recovered Project

I would like to take this chance to wish you all the best in your efforts with the site.

I am at present undertaking a private venture for the Canadian Virtual War Memorial project in tracking down and taking photographs of grave markers of Canadian Servicemen who are buried here in Northern Ireland. John Brehault of the Memorial kindly supplied me with a list of those known to the Museum, and I am making reasonable progress.

Should you come across a requirement for any photographs from here, I will gladly try to help if I can.

Paul.
Old 05-12-07, 00:08
Allan Cameron

Thanks Paul, I will defiantely keep that in mind. If I can be of assistance to any of you,just let me know as well.
Cheers!
Old 06-12-07, 03:24

Default Great Idea

Congatulations Cameron and I wish you the best of luck.
As you will be passing by my doorstep over the Holidays, please PM me your itinerary and plan to drop in for a cuppa'/shotta'/ mugga' whatever.
I am involved with The1NSHighrs(N)Association (the current incarnation of not only the North Novies, but also the Pictou Highlanders) and may be able to help you in your search.

Cheers

Wayne
Old 06-12-07, 04:55
Allan Cameron

Hey Wayne, thanks for the invite! We should get together to have a chat about what I'm trying to do, as I want to get back to my "homeland" and do interviews in the new year.
Not enough veterans are being documented,and I know for a fact the North Novies have a heckuva European battle history,just like many many other battaillons and regiments.
I will be staying in Enfield,a stones throw away from you for most of my stay.I will be in the area on the 16th- 27,so send me an email (alcammy@hotmail.com) in that timeframe, and we'll have a cuppa/shotta/muga whatever...
Cheers!