MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 30-12-05, 04:55
Vets Dottir

Default Hmmmm ... 2006 is a cumin in ...

Well ... 2005 is soon to come to a close and for me, well, it's been one helluva different year than any I've ever had. There are SO many highlights, and a few major low-lights ..... new courses in life set, and some old courses finished ... my eldest sister who meant so much to me, is gone, which is still so hard to comprehend. I still go to pick up the phone and then get tears in my eyes when I remember ... "Oh yeah, and oh shit dammit, she's gone". This was the first Christmas for us (family) without her. While I'm used to not having daily contact with her, her immediate family isn't. And they're still, understandably, upset with me because I failed my promise to be there when the end came. My understanding was that there would vbe no prblem before I left, therefore ... but still ... it was me who promised, and me who failed. I can't fix what i didn't do and the hard felings, as far as I'm concerned are justified. That's really sad ... but ... It's been hard on them this year .... but they're managing. I have SO many meories of my sister Susie ... all good ... she was my light when I was a child.

... and so many new people and places have come into my life thios year .... many through my MLU connections. You people in here are quite wonderful .. especially you Aussie folks who do SO much to uplift spirits and cause LAUGHTER ... which is an amazing gift that you all freely give, and give so well

Ooops ... phone just interrupted me, my youngest daughter calling to say she's home from Christmas holidays with sweethearts parents, and she understands and is more accepting of my tears when we say 'goodbye" ... cause her "sweethearts Mom cried to say goodbye too and I understand more when you cry when we say goodbye, mom" Ahhhhh ... I love that child to pieces ...

Mommy's are like that ya know. When their kids live far-far-away and visits are few ... parting is such sweet sorrow (SHUT UP YOU COLD HEARTS)

2005 ... WHAT did you bring me? Other than job rejections because of health and lack of needed skills rejections? (the skills I HAD I can no longer do CRAP! : Meetings and exposure to people and experiences I would not otherwise have had without my MLU and/or Sunray connections ... while some experiences (like deteriorating health and abilities crap) I could do without, but the people I've met? The MLU-ers? Excellent!!! Even those who don't think much of me! You've all ADDED to my life and experiences. I thank you for that.

Don't stop!

Holy crap ... have I really had rides in carriers and been in a Remembrance parade in Canada's capital riding with Navy Vets who "were there" ... ???

Yes ... so many things have happened ... and life carries on, continues ... whatever will tomorrow bring?

And you guys and gals? YOUR 2005??? What are your high/low points? What do you hope for in 2006?

I'll leave you-all with that opening ...

May good things happen for ALL of you MLU-ers and loved ones for 2006 ...

(What did I learn this year (2005) ??? Hell ... other than to not jump to soon, I'm still processing ... leave me alone, eh? LOL ... and JON where the hell are my Tim Tams? LOL
:love: from Ma
Old 30-12-05, 07:19
Pops

Well, I think I'll start with the high point:

Chris turned up back in the Winter time, brought some snow, helped with shearing and best of all, we had plenty of rain, which gave us the best spring for 15 years. Better than the drought we've had for the last few years.

Kathy's high point was my absence for Corowa and the trip through the high country. She had the house, the sheep and Tassie all for herself.

Low point:
With all the hay we made, we had to move some of our treasures out of the shed to make room for the hay. It worries us to have our lovely Blitzes not to have under cover.
Old 30-12-05, 09:20
Richard Notton

Default Re: Hmmmm ... 2006 is a cumin in ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
Cumin?
That's the stuff good curries have in them.
Pay attention VD/PW.

Cumin (Cuminum cyminum L.)
Main constituents
The fruits contain 2.5 to 4% essential oil. In the essential oil, cumin aldehyde (p-isopropyl-benzaldehyde , 25 to 35%), furthermore perilla aldehyde, cumin alcohol, a- and ß-pinene (21%), dipentene, p-cymene and ß-phellandrene were found.

In toasted cumin fruits, a large number of pyrazines has been identified as flavour compounds. Besides pyrazine and various alkyl derivatives (particularly, 2,5- and 2,6-dimethyl pyrazine), 2-alkoxy-3-alkylpyrazines seem to be the key compounds (2-ethoxy-3-isopropyl pyrazine, 2-methoxy-3-sec-butyl pyrazine, 2-methoxy-3-methyl pyrazine). Also a sulfur compound, 2-methylthio-3-isopropyl pyrazine, was found. All these Maillard-products are also formed when fenugreek or coriander are toasted. (Nahrung, 24, 645, 1980)

Description
Cumin is the dried seed of the herb Cuminum cyminum, a member of the parsley family. The Cumin plant grows to about 1 to 2 feet tall and is harvested by hand. Cumin is a key component in both Chili Powder and Curry Powder.

Uses
The flavor of Cumin plays a major role in Mexican, Thai, Vietnamese, and Indian cuisines. Cumin is a critical ingredient of chili powder, and is found in achiote blends, adobos, garam masala, curry powder, and baharat.

Origins
Historically, Iran has been the principal supplier of Cumin, but currently the major sources are India, Syria, Pakistan, and Turkey.

R.
Old 30-12-05, 09:27
Commonwealth NOT Europe

Good points in 2005-

Continuing contact with all the friends that I've made thanks to the internet -and the list grows despite computer breakdowns that have now led to a new machine just before Christmas

I've recently had an operation which should mean that my health will be better in 2006

My daughter gained a place at college (Art & Graphic Design), despite bad exam results at school - she got in based on her portfolio of work, which says a lot for her ability.

My family is still together, with no losses in 2005 - as a lot of them are 'knocking on a bit' this frankly came as a surprise.

Bad points -

Didn't win the damn lottery, so finances are still hand-to-mouth all the time and likely to get worse not better

Tony the Traitor is still in No10 and surrendering like crazy to Europe & especially to the french (the small 'f' is deliberate!).

the Crazy Frog is still threatening to release more records - if I ever see that frog I'll leave tyre-tracks all over it.

A wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age!! (Meatloaf)
Old 30-12-05, 10:28

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveCox

Bad points -

Didn't win the damn lottery, so finances are still hand-to-mouth all the time and likely to get worse not better

well mate we have something in common at least.

good points of 2005

Managed to celebrate my 23rd wedding anniversary with my wife Kathie....how she has put up with me all these years god only knows.

Still managed to keep in touch with all my internet friends even though I too had to rebuild my computer.

A kind friend (he knows who it is) sent me some fantastic model kits for free. This meant that even though I had a shortage of cash I at least could still do my models when health allowed.

Won the section of the garden competition we entered and enjoyed the new rose garden we managed to put in.

Managed to come through some bad health scares OK and the health has stabilised a bit for now.

Got an electric power wheelchair which has given me a lot of my independence back for the first time in 4 years. Even better it did not cost me a cent as the Govt. and other charitable agencies supplied it to me.

Learnt a lot from the rest of you MLU'ers in the way of vehicle ID's and looking at new photos you have posted for my pleasure.

Met a lot more friends through this wonderful world of internet.

Bad points of 2005

still tight on money things but have enough to get by.

got ripped off for the first time by a Canadian 'mate' I met on the internet modeling site and lost $50 Canadian Dollars plus bank fees. Plus because of cash shortage have to go without the Resicast Bren carrier update set he was to send me.

SO cheers you lot may 2006 be better both health and financial wise to you all

cheers
Cliff

Last edited by cliff; 30-12-05 at 10:36.
Old 30-12-05, 12:39
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Ripped off.....

Cliff...
With the world wide net and the possibility of being ripped off...it soon becomes known that responsibility for honesty is the responsibility of all of us....
These rip off artists need to be identified and at best,blackballed..
As statement like....
"It is my humble opinion(This statement is important) that (Insert name here) from (place here) did not satisfactorly complete our contract...i.e that I sent (amount) for (x product) and have never recieved (x product)...
(You can't be sued for an opinion....)

A statement like this does a couple of things..
1. Gives others a heads up that this person may be a rip off artist...
2.Give a formentioned weasle an escape hole to come back with ..

....."I have been trying to contact you to let you know that your (product ) is now on the way...sorry for the delay but I was (insert excuse here) for (x amount of time)...

3.Lets the weasle know that every time he sticks his head out ,its in a hell of a pile of cross hairs....

I have been sending manuals around the world for my 10th year now and have never lost a manual or a payment ,although many a weasle has tryed to con me...
"Send me your bank account # and I'll transfer the money right away " is a favourite.
I got old too fast and smart too late ,but I just didn't fall off the turnip truck last night....

Hope you and the missus have a great new year..
May the bearings on your buggy never seize.....
Post you message here so that your friends can help you out...Our reach is long....

Last edited by Alex Blair (RIP); 30-12-05 at 15:47.
Old 30-12-05, 14:04
Senior Forum Member

Talking Re: Hmmmm ... 2006 is a cumin in ...

Quote:
.....and JON where the hell are my Tim Tams?

SEE RELATED THREAD REGARDING TIM TAMS.......he ate them cause I told him to........

Old 31-12-05, 00:32

Default Re: Re: Hmmmm ... 2006 is a cumin in ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner
SEE RELATED THREAD REGARDING TIM TAMS.......he ate them cause I told him to........

LOL I have a couple of packets in the fridge.....for a short time only though.

Cheers
Cliff

PS> Alex thanks for the kind words.
Old 31-12-05, 05:56
M38A1 CDN3

Quote:
Originally posted by FV623
Cumin?
Pay attention VD/PW.

Cumin (Cuminum cyminum L.)
Main constituents
The fruits contain 2.5 to 4% essential oil. In the essential oil, cumin aldehyde (p-isopropyl-benzaldehyde , 25 to 35%), furthermore perilla aldehyde, cumin alcohol, a- and ß-pinene (21%), dipentene, p-cymene and ß-phellandrene were found.

In toasted cumin fruits, a large number of pyrazines has been identified as flavour compounds. Besides pyrazine and various alkyl derivatives (particularly, 2,5- and 2,6-dimethyl pyrazine), 2-alkoxy-3-alkylpyrazines seem to be the key compounds (2-ethoxy-3-isopropyl pyrazine, 2-methoxy-3-sec-butyl pyrazine, 2-methoxy-3-methyl pyrazine). Also a sulfur compound, 2-methylthio-3-isopropyl pyrazine, was found. All these Maillard-products are also formed when fenugreek or coriander are toasted. (Nahrung, 24, 645, 1980)

Description
Cumin is the dried seed of the herb Cuminum cyminum, a member of the parsley family. The Cumin plant grows to about 1 to 2 feet tall and is harvested by hand. Cumin is a key component in both Chili Powder and Curry Powder.

Uses
The flavor of Cumin plays a major role in Mexican, Thai, Vietnamese, and Indian cuisines. Cumin is a critical ingredient of chili powder, and is found in achiote blends, adobos, garam masala, curry powder, and baharat.

Origins
Historically, Iran has been the principal supplier of Cumin, but currently the major sources are India, Syria, Pakistan, and Turkey.

R.
Heh, heh, heh..Glowworm...why did I instinctively know that you would post such a reply?
Old 31-12-05, 06:08
M38A1 CDN3

Quote:
Originally posted by cliff
well mate we have something in common at least.

good points of 2005

Managed to celebrate my 23rd wedding anniversary with my wife Kathie....how she has put up with me all these years god only knows.

Still managed to keep in touch with all my internet friends even though I too had to rebuild my computer.

A kind friend (he knows who it is) sent me some fantastic model kits for free. This meant that even though I had a shortage of cash I at least could still do my models when health allowed.

Won the section of the garden competition we entered and enjoyed the new rose garden we managed to put in.

Managed to come through some bad health scares OK and the health has stabilised a bit for now.

Got an electric power wheelchair which has given me a lot of my independence back for the first time in 4 years. Even better it did not cost me a cent as the Govt. and other charitable agencies supplied it to me.

Learnt a lot from the rest of you MLU'ers in the way of vehicle ID's and looking at new photos you have posted for my pleasure.

Met a lot more friends through this wonderful world of internet.

Bad points of 2005

still tight on money things but have enough to get by.

got ripped off for the first time by a Canadian 'mate' I met on the internet modeling site and lost $50 Canadian Dollars plus bank fees. Plus because of cash shortage have to go without the Resicast Bren carrier update set he was to send me.

SO cheers you lot may 2006 be better both health and financial wise to you all

cheers
Cliff
Cliff: can you give details of who the Canadian is who ripped you off?

Maybe we, here, can apply some leverage.
Old 31-12-05, 06:39
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Cumin?
Pay attention VD/PW.
Okie-dokie Master R., I gitchyer drift ... and I thank ye for the education on cumin ... (cumin through the rye?) I LOVE currie!

Sumer is i-cumin in
a 14th century English round

Sing, cuccu, nu. Sing, cuccu.

Sumer is i-cumin in,
Lhude sing, cuccu!
Groweth sed and bloweth med
And springth the wude nu.
Sing, cuccu!

Awe bleteth after lamb,
Lhouth after calve cu,
Bulluc sterteth, bucke verteth,
Murie sing, cuccu!

Cuccu, cuccu,
Wel singes thu, cuccu.
Ne swik thu naver nu!

New Years Eve here now ... hmmmm ... and me without my resolutions yet : ...

VD/PW sends and never ends .... HAPPY NEW YEAR's over there in that there house to all of you-hoo live there
Old 31-12-05, 06:47
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Cumin?
Pay attention VD/PW.

R.
And absolutely essential for good guacamole!
Old 31-12-05, 06:49
Vets Dottir

Here is a fun site to browse ...

http://www.fathertimes.net/traditions.htm

And copied from that site (see below) how to say Happy New Years in other languages/countries ...

Quote:
How New Year is said around the world

Arabic: Kul 'aam u antum salimoun

Chinese: Chu Shen Tan

Czechoslavakia: Scastny Novy Rok

This one's specially for Hanno and our other Dutch Friends!

"Dutch: Gullukkig Niuw Jaar"

Finnish: Onnellista Uutta Vuotta

French: Bonne Annee

German: Prosit Neujahr

Greek: Eftecheezmaenos o Kaenooryos hronos

Hebrew: L'Shannah Tovah Tikatevu

Hindi: Niya Saa Moobaarak

Irish (Gaelic): Bliain nua fe mhaise dhuit

Italian: Buon Capodanno

Khmer: Sua Sdei tfnam tmei

Laotian: Sabai dee pee mai

Polish: Szczesliwego Nowego Roku

Portuguese: Feliz Ano Novo

Russian: S Novim Godom

Serbo-Croatian: Scecna nova godina

Spanish: Feliz Ano Neuvo
Prospero Ano Nuevo

Turkish: Yeni Yiliniz Kutlu Olsun

Vietnamese: Cung-Chuc Tan-Xuan
Ma Yappy
Old 31-12-05, 07:03
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Hmmmm ... 2006 is a cumin in ...

Quote:

May good things happen for ALL of you MLU-ers and loved ones for 2006 ...

:love: from Ma

Hope all y'all have a happy and prosperous New Year!

Old 31-12-05, 07:24

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Skagfeld
Cliff: can you give details of who the Canadian is who ripped you off?

Maybe we, here, can apply some leverage.
Jon if you go to this link
http://armorama.net/modules.php?op=m...d=61053&page=1
you can see the guys name and also see just how many people he did rip off and this is only on this modeling site as I know other threads on the same person exsist on other model web sites. The excuse was almost always that Canadian Post is slow or they lost it.

I send my $50 Canadian Bank cheque to the address below and I know he cashed it

Byran Gray
2186 Brianna Way
Orleans,Ontario
K4A 4E3
Canada

I have no other way to get hold of him but I do know that a few folk have got their money back from him but there are a lot like me that have not.

Cheers & Thanks
Cliff
Old 31-12-05, 07:39
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Re: Hmmmm ... 2006 is a cumin in ...

Quote:
Originally posted by sapper740
And absolutely essential for good guacamole!
Hmmmm ... there now, you see? Your mention of guacamole got me salivating for the avacado in the fridge, so i just had to slice it open and eat it with a spoon, straight from the "shell" ... YUM ... (added a tad of salt. No cumin :P )
Old 31-12-05, 11:46
Richard Notton

Default Re: Re: Re: Hmmmm ... 2006 is a cumin in ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Skagfeld
Heh, heh, heh..Glowworm...why did I instinctively know that you would post such a reply?
Ah. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

My transparency is showing perhaps.

R.
Old 31-12-05, 12:06
Richard Notton

Quote:
And copied from that site (see below) how to say Happy New Years in other languages/countries ...
Ma Yappy
You forgot these, please permit me to act as your avuncular, and so pay attention, :

С Новым годом
Καλή χρονιά
Dedwydd Newydd Blwyddyn

R.
Old 31-12-05, 12:25

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Hmmmm ... 2006 is a cumin in ...

Quote:
Ah. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

My transparency is showing perhaps.

R.
Now Now R do come along,

there are standards to be met Old chap how can your ‘transparency be showing ‘?? do try to concentrate, or are you indulging in some form of linguistic jape perhaps ?

by the way Happy New Year to you and indeed to all MLU members for some I suspect it's already here or is it there?.

Pete

Old 31-12-05, 15:14
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default You are not alone....

Quote:
you can see the guys name and also see just how many people he did rip off and this is only on this modeling site as I know other threads on the same person exsist on other model web sites. The excuse was almost always that Canadian Post is slow or they lost it.

Byran Gray
2186 Brianna Way
Orleans,Ontario
K4A 4E3
Canada

I have no other way to get hold of him but I do know that a few folk have got their money back from him but there are a lot like me that have not.

Cheers & Thanks
Cliff
Cliff
I don't know or have ever heard of this guy,although he lives in a suburb of Ottawa...
I don't know or am involved with too many modlers...
Two that I know ,Don Dingwall and Dana Neild,are both active here on MLU and are top quality modlers and honest individuals...They might know him..
From reading through the correspondence on the link you posted ,it seems to be a reocurring problem..I know shipping to OZ from here takes two months alone,by surface...
I have sucessfully sent everything from manuals to Maple Syrup to OZ from Ottawa,and it always got there ,although my buddy had to go to customs and armwrestle the dudes there for his Maple syrup....
Or some such feat of endurance...He got the word to them that he wanted to be notified when it was there immediately...
It got there and he loved it...
Anyway I hope this helps to get the word out...
Old 31-12-05, 16:17
MLU Administrator

Quote:

This one's specially for Hanno and our other Dutch Friends!

"Dutch: Gullukkig Niuw Jaar"
Ma Yappy, een gelukkig nieuw jaar too you too!!

H.
Old 31-12-05, 18:31
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Hmmmm ... 2006 is a cumin in ...

Quote:
Hmmmm ... there now, you see? Your mention of guacamole got me salivating for the avacado in the fridge, so i just had to slice it open and eat it with a spoon, straight from the "shell" ... YUM ... (added a tad of salt. No cumin :P )

Ah yes, I do love avacados! Hey Ma, speaking of food, why don't we start a thread about New Years and food traditions? Here in the South there is a very popular tradition of eating Black Eye peas and corn bread on New Year's Day in order to bring good luck for the rest of the year. (....and y'all thought it was Bowl games and beer lol!) I don't know the origins of this but it is so prevalent round here that a local bank drops off a can at every door throughout the city as a promotion.
Any one else wish to share their New Year's tradition?

CHIMO!
Old 31-12-05, 21:43
M38A1 CDN3

Quote:

Byran Gray
2186 Brianna Way
Orleans,Ontario
K4A 4E3
Canada

Cheers & Thanks
Cliff
OK, Cliff...we have the necessary info. I see that Alex Blair is in the loop as well.

Stand by and we'll see what we can do.

Regards
Old 31-12-05, 21:59

Default Re: You are not alone....

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex Blair
Cliff
I know shipping to OZ from here takes two months alone,by surface...
Alex another guy in Canada sent me some cast resin model parts to help make the Tamiya Grant tank kit into a Commonwealth one and they took only 6 days airmail. I was pleased to say the least because of all the bad things I had heard about Canadian postal services.

cheers and thanks again
Cliff
Old 31-12-05, 22:12
M38A1 CDN3

Quote:

Ma Yappy
...in Arabic, its "Sa'alam alikum"...the answer to which is "Alikum sa'alam".

"Happy New Year", as such, doesn't exist the Arabic lexicon.
Old 31-12-05, 22:33
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hmmmm ... 2006 is a cumin in ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete Ashby
Now Now R do come along,

there are standards to be met Old chap how can your ‘transparency be showing ‘?? do try to concentrate, or are you indulging in some form of linguistic jape perhaps ?

by the way Happy New Year to you and indeed to all MLU members for some I suspect it's already here or is it there?.

Pete

Given the size of the bugger, I don't suggest he'll ever be transparent, but at least he's shrunk a bit since that delightful Mrs. Notton told him to work for a living...

Happy New Year to you all from MLU TAC HQ!
Old 31-12-05, 23:57

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hmmmm ... 2006 is a cumin in ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
Given the size of the bugger, I don't suggest he'll ever be transparent, but at least he's shrunk a bit since that delightful Mrs. Notton told him to work for a living...

Happy New Year to you all from MLU TAC HQ!
Quite so my dear chap

Here's to 2006

Pete (Part time Officer and Gentleman)
Old 01-01-06, 00:19
Dog Robber

Time later for reporting on the good and the bad.

Time now for Pat and I to wish all of you, our dear friends, a very Happy and Prosperous New Year 2006.
Bill & Pat Murray
Old 01-01-06, 00:27
Vets Dottir

Hmmmm ... wish I could have done THIS tonight Sounds like fun!!! Ringing in the New Year with Scottish sounds. sights, and tastes (I love haggis, tastes just like buckwheat sausage!!! ... perhaps another year

Quote:
The Stroke of Midnight at the Gibson House Museum invites you to attend a Toronto New Years party with Scottish flair. This Toronto New Year’s Eve celebration features an evening of music & song, along with fabulous holiday foods & drinks. This Scottish Toronto New Years party wouldn’t be complete without a little taste of haggis prepared in the historic kitchen.
Old 01-01-06, 02:24
Senior Forum Member

Talking

... and so another year passes......

Denise and I would like to wish all here a very Happy New Year and Best Wishes in the forthcoming year.

Cheers