MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 22-07-11, 03:04

Default 13 Cab rebuild

Hey Guys, I am new to the CMP world and waas hoping that some of you guys could point me in the right direction.
I am rebuilding a C60 13 cab,and had to totaly rebuild the rear of the cab, my question is what are people using for the W brace, as there was nothing left to it when i removed it.
I have made all new angle iron door jams, and the peices with the curves.
Thanks Jason
Old 22-07-11, 09:08

Default Rear of cab braces

Hi Jason,
The bottom sections of my braces were rusted away. I just got some strips of panel steel and folded them to the correct shape to make up the full length.
A full length piece would be difficult but you could do shorter lengths and weld them together after folding.
Cheers, Terry
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1073.jpg  
Old 22-07-11, 18:40

Default Braces

When I rebuilt the Braces on My Cab 12 a local Building Supply had stakes that held the Styroform Forms in place/They were a perfect match.Unfotunatly these are out of production.

Another good source for Free Metal is the local Motorcycle Store. The Crates that Bikes and quads are shipped in have pre formed Metal in them.
Jeff
Old 23-07-11, 21:25

Default Strange you should mention posts

Jeff your comment about the braces looking like post for concrete forms. When I was redoing the my Pattern 12 and looking for cab braces I found some fence posts which were a near perfect match.

In the end I cannibalized the old cab back and used the original braces though everything else on the back was new. One funny point though the new angle iron for the top, bottom, and sides was stamped (see picture).

Finding that CMPs are made up using common off the shelf parts makes real sense, they were rushing to get into production, so making special tooling when somebody was already set up to make a similar part makes real sense. This could also explain some of the difference in CMPs which confuse dating or whats original. Things like diamond plate with different patterns. Why bumpers have different cross-sections etc.

Cheers Phil
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0794.JPG  
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 25-07-11, 03:29

Hey Guys Thanks for the replies, I will have to go for a walk around base to see if i can come up with something.
Jason
Old 27-07-11, 04:10

Default Angle iron....

For anyone needing to replace them...... it is not a standard size but can be easily ordered from fabricating shops..... I beleive 1.75 x 1.75..... they usally only stock 1.0 or 1.5 or 2 x2 .......

Note that the original was fabricated from 3 pieces..... two curved ends and a straight central piece.... which is not a bad idea as it lets you do the bends then weld the central straight piece but allowes you to make the overall dimension exactly for the width you need....... Phil has good documentaion on how to slice the angle iron... heat....bend... and fill the gaps with Mig welding..... once the flap grinder has gone over it you cannot tell the difference.

Also.... not that the angle iron piece at the bottom of the back wall is exactly the same as the angle iron located at the halfway point between top and bottom section....even the bolt holes are the same..... therefore if you have access to a spare cab ...even if the bottom section is rusted... you can salvage the midway angle iron for the bottoom of your restoration.....

So Jason...... when are we going to see "in progress pictures" of your baby.... to bad you are so far away.

Bob
Canada
Old 27-07-11, 16:56

Hey bob thanks for the information...there's not much to see, I am looking for a frame more more than anything, we were out looking at a HUP last night that's in the area but now after looking at the photos that the frames are different.
Old 28-07-11, 00:45

Default Vive la difference....

Hi Jason

Yes very little from a HUP is standard to a CMP..... here we call the HUPs CMP Wannabee..... I'm gonna get killed for this

Having said that.....What does the HUP look like...complete body or cut up behind the cab to make a pickup..... any pictures....?

So what you are starting with for your C60 is a door handle and you need a frame...axles..... better look at the two in Fredericton they might give you a head start....

Stay tuned.

Bob
Canada
Old 28-07-11, 02:08

Evening Bob, I dont have for some reason any of the body but it has not been cut up, still has all the doors, we are gong back soon to take a closer look, I do have a picture of the frame and engine on my black berry if i can figure this out ...its new.
With the c-60 its just parts, I have most of the cab and dataplates...I was just getting tired of jeeps need something more challanging..but cmps seem a bit easy also short of the things you cant make.
What i would like to do is use this frame and engine and put my cab on it,and sell/ give/trade the data plates, finding anything cmp down in this neck of the woods is tough.
there may be a fello that wants the hup body also...I dont know just thinking out load.
If every thing worked the way i mentioned we could get all this very cheep.
Attached Images

Old 28-07-11, 03:30

Default Keep in mind Rob Clarke....HUP Master.....

At the barn in Ottawa, Rob is the HUP guy...... if you have body parts...possibly doors/roof hatch hardware he might be very interested....

Let me know what you discover if you contact the Fredericton guy whose friend has CMPS.

I am more involved with cab 11 / 12 and Grant into cab 13 dump/radio trucks....

Stay in touch.

Bob
Canada
Old 28-07-11, 14:08

Hey Bob on a side note were you vacationing down in Prince Edward Island two summers ago at some cottages near Summerside?
Old 28-07-11, 17:33

Default Nope.....

...but maybe next year.

You are probably referring to Brian Gough from Oshawa who is a regular fixture in Summerside.

Bob
Canada
Old 28-07-11, 18:27

Could be I dont remember his name but we vacationed at the same spot for a few days, he was into hups, cmps and bren gun carriers...older fellow mabey late 50s to early 60s.