MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 17-04-21, 23:11

Hi
Thanks again for selling the bumper brackets and providing the drawings. It is made of HEA 160 profile.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210404_164049 – kopie.jpg  
Old 17-04-21, 23:51
VMVC

Default Ford CMP- Bumper and brackets

Hi Ivo,

Very glad to see the finished product and my drawing was of use to you. Well done!

Cheers,

Jacques Reed
Old 03-06-21, 04:02
VMVC

Default Roof dolly holder- Ford CMP

Good Day,

I have been a bit quiet on the restoration front lately. Seems since I reached my 70's last year the demands on my time has increased. No major medical problems for me but a few routine medical requirements often cut into the good available days to do something more enjoyable. The Covid crisis has also put more pressure on the available time. We have been doing a lot of baby sitting our grandkids to help out our son and daughter-in-law with their reduced income and longer working hours. Toddlers and workshops just don't mix however!

I did manage to knock up this dolly for my roof a month ago.
I got annoyed with it always being in the way, and by having it movable I can rearrange the shed as required. I can also store it above heavier things on the floor which gives me extra space and still be able to get to the items below if required.
It could also come in handy for transporting it as there is some repair work to be done to it, or to transport it if I can find a Sunshine roof. It fits nicely in the bed of my ute.

I had the old windscreen frame laying around and about $40 worth of 30mm RHS and bolts was all it took to fabricate it one weekend.

Money well spent to avoid aggravation!

Next project is a small spray booth for the same reason above.

Anyway, I am still around thankfully in these unsettling times.
Hope this is of some interest.

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0313a.JPG  

Jacques Reed
Old 03-06-21, 04:51
Graeme Jamieson

Great idea Jacques.
Old 03-06-21, 12:27

Default Wow!

I reckon it would serve another purpose perfectly Jacques.

Modified (Shortened) Roofs could very accurately have the missing bit put back in using this.
It would hold the front and rear, at the correct position to reinstall the correct length of steel in the gap.

Very very handy bit of kit in a fabrication work shop.
Old 03-06-21, 16:01
Mariano Paz

Hi Jacques
Your contributions are always welcome!
We always wait for your correct answers!
Thanks for sharing!
Regards!

1944 Ariel W/NG
1945 FGT FAT
Old 05-06-21, 00:35
VMVC

Default Ford CMP information

Quote:
Originally Posted by m606paz View Post
Hi Jacques
Your contributions are always welcome!
We always wait for your correct answers!
Thanks for sharing!
Regards!
Thanks Mariano,

I don't always get it correct, but always happy to be corrected. In doing so everyone learns. With a wealth of knowledge on this forum someone, somewhere, always has the right answers or can point you in the right direction.

Cheers,

Jacques Reed
Old 10-06-21, 02:46
VMVC

Default Ford CMP truck- Front Curtains, Cab 13, Australia

Good Day,

I posted some information on Harry Moon's threads on side screens for CMP vehicles. As I noticed a different design between those for Ford and Chev trucks I thought it might be better to post it on my Ford CMP thread rather than further hijack Harry's. My apologies to you Harry.

The height of the frame is the same for both 15-1/2" but I noticed a difference in the length of the frame, 34-1/2" for Chev models and 32" for the Ford model.

I had a look again at the photos I took of the original curtain that was attached to an Australian Cab 13, F-60L and the one from which I derived my drawings. Luckily I had laid a steel rule on it to verify the size and it does prove, at least, that the Australian Ford curtain frames were only 32" long.

I may one day get back to the property to double check all the dimensions. Hopefully the owner wont be in a hurry to get going somewhere and I can have enough time to do it. After 6 years I am sure it will still be there- just a bit rustier.

Cheers

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0018 (2) length.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	439.3 KB
ID:	122524
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0013 (2) length.jpg   IMG_0017 (2) length.jpg  

Jacques Reed
Old 10-06-21, 02:59

Default Unique Aust Curtain

Hi Jacques,

Perhaps we should point out that the side curtain shown in your images is for the '44 pattern Australian cab which had a flat-frame, de-mountable door with external hinges on pins welded to a forward insert in the door frame, which I think was about 2 inches wide, and an external door clamp at the rear end which snigged into a slotted plate welded to the exterior of the cab.

Maybe this different configuration accounts for the difference in length, although the actual 'window' opening above the door was still the same length, I think?

Mike
Old 10-06-21, 03:15
VMVC

Default Ford CMP truck- Front Curtains Cab 13

Hi Mike,

Thanks for that great info. I cannot remember what the door looked like, I thought it was the same as mine, double skinned, but I have seen a photo the same type curtain on a double skinned door. Perhaps a post war use of what was on the surplus market at the time then, even if it was not the correct one for that door?

Guess this means back to the drawing board! At least for the one for my doors.

Cheers,

Jacques Reed
Old 10-06-21, 03:22
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Side curtain

Hi Jacques, the pegs that slide into the door look like they are straight, for a lightweight canvas door, I wonder whether that makes any difference to the main part of the curtain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Reed View Post
Good Day,

I posted some information on Harry Moon's threads on side screens for CMP vehicles. As I noticed a different design between those for Ford and Chev trucks I thought it might be better to post it on my Ford CMP thread rather than further hijack Harry's. My apologies to you Harry.

The height of the frame is the same for both 15-1/2" but I noticed a difference in the length of the frame, 34-1/2" for Chev models and 32" for the Ford model.

I had a look again at the photos I took of the original curtain that was attached to an Australian Cab 13, F-60L and the one from which I derived my drawings. Luckily I had laid a steel rule on it to verify the size and it does prove, at least, that the Australian Ford curtain frames were only 32" long.

I may one day get back to the property to double check all the dimensions. Hopefully the owner wont be in a hurry to get going somewhere and I can have enough time to do it. After 6 years I am sure it will still be there- just a bit rustier.

Cheers

Attachment 122524

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 10-06-21, 03:30

Hi Jacques,

The curtain for the standard, double skin, 'non-demountable' door has a step in the bracket that slots into the bracket on the inside face of the door. The step spaces the curtain so it sits on the outside edge of the door, with the underside of the step sitting on the top flat of the door. With the Aust '44 pattern door, the depth is only the thickness of the frame material, I think about 1/8th or 3/16th, plus its canvas covering, hence the straight, flat mounting bracket visible in your images.

There was a whole raft of 1950s-era CGCF-marked door curtains floating about at one stage (20+ years ago??) I'm reasonably sure that Blitz enthusiasts such as Keith and Euan have examples. These were the stepped design for the double skinned door, but the canvas covering had a smaller plexi? window than the WW2 version.

Mike
Old 10-06-21, 04:04
Film maker, CMP addict

Default 1959 replacement side curtains

The 1959 replacements were all for the Chevrolet turnbuckle type front flap and I think had a larger clear window than the originals. Billy Drew had a truck body full of them in the 1970s, tied together in pairs which from memory he sold for $6.00 a pair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cecil View Post
There was a whole raft of 1950s-era CGCF-marked door curtains floating about at one stage (20+ years ago??) I'm reasonably sure that Blitz enthusiasts such as Keith and Euan have examples. These were the stepped design for the double skinned door, but the canvas covering had a smaller plexi? window than the WW2 version.

Mike

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 10-06-21, 04:16
VMVC

Default Ford CMP truck- Post War Front Curtains Cab 13

Hi Keith,

These are the ones. Fifties made Billy Drew's. Made with round bar and has the turn posts for the Chevy CMP.

Gee, thought I was on a winner then Mike popped my happy bubble!

Still would rather get it right and at least I haven't fabricated the wrong ones for my truck. Sometimes it pays to procrastinate.

Kind Regards,
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2848a.JPG  

Jacques Reed

Last edited by Jacques Reed; 10-06-21 at 04:37.
Old 10-06-21, 04:23
GM Fox I

Quote:
Hi Keith,

These are the ones. Fifties made Billy Drew's. Made with round bar and has the turn posts for the Chevy CMP.

Gee, thought I was on a winner then Mike popped my happy bubble!

Still would rather get it right and at least I haven't fabricated the wrong ones for my truck. Sometimes it pays to procrastinate.

Kind Regard,
What kind of tires are those and where did you get them?????
Old 10-06-21, 04:33
VMVC

Default Ford CMP truck- Original Dunlop Trak Grips

Hi Bruce,

They are original NOS 9-00 x 16" Dunlop Trak Grips.

For display only due to age. Bought them years ago from a business nearby that had a Marmon Herrington also for sale. They had been in a windowless shed for many years which saved them. Wish I had bought the Marmon too at the time. The seller said the tyres were to go with the truck but when I pointed out the Marmon had 18" wheels he agreed to sell them separately.

Attached photo taken in the days of 35mm film so a long time ago.

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
1991-08a.jpg  

Jacques Reed

Last edited by Jacques Reed; 10-06-21 at 04:48. Reason: added photo
Old 10-06-21, 04:44
GM Fox I

Quote:
Hi Bruce,

They are original NOS 9-00 x 16" Dunlop Track Grips.

For display only due to age. Bought them years ago from a business nearby that had a Marmon Herrington also for sale. They had been in a windowless shed for many years which saved them. Wish I had bought the Marmon too at the time. The seller said the tyres were to go with the truck but when I pointed out the Marmon had 18" wheels he agreed to sell them separately.

Cheers,
Well they look terrific. I was really hoping you'd say they are new made by some firm in China ready to ship!!
Old 10-06-21, 04:52
VMVC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Parker View Post
Well they look terrific. I was really hoping you'd say they are new made by some firm in China ready to ship!!
Thanks, Yes me too. Probably the most difficult parts to source for the 15 CWT's.

Cheers,

Jacques Reed
Old 10-06-21, 05:22
VMVC

Default Ford CMP truck- Front Curtains Cab 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cecil View Post
Hi Jacques,

Perhaps we should point out that the side curtain shown in your images is for the '44 pattern Australian cab which had a flat-frame, de-mountable door with external hinges on pins welded to a forward insert in the door frame, which I think was about 2 inches wide, and an external door clamp at the rear end which snigged into a slotted plate welded to the exterior of the cab.

Maybe this different configuration accounts for the difference in length, although the actual 'window' opening above the door was still the same length, I think?

Mike
Hi Mike,

I have attached a photo of the type of side curtain you mentioned attached to a double skinned Ford door. Same as my pictures and drawing. This was the red herring for me. Note it is flush with the inside of the door and stops short of the front of the door sill. This makes sense as you mentioned for a flat frame door.

I apologize to whomever I copied the photo from, Keith maybe? Lifted it a long time ago and enlarged it. I cannot remember the source. Would like to acknowledge where it came from just the same.

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
ford curtain 2a.jpg  

Jacques Reed
Old 12-09-21, 02:34
VMVC

Default Ford CMP- radiator mounting bolts

Good Day,

Been a bit quite lately as Melbourne's Covid 19 lockdown restricts my travel to 5 km from home.

I have been revisiting the radiator mounting arrangements on my Cab 13.
Years ago I bought a Dennis Carpenter radiator mounting bolt and pad set similar to an original set used on my truck as shown in the attached.

The Spares Parts List shows a rubber insulator No. 8124 at the lower bracket of the radiator. I was not really happy with the use of the springs and washers there as the 11/16" diameter hole in the radiator bracket is much larger than the 3/8" bolt allowing a fair bit of movement. The hole in the chassis support has been enlarged over time also from this movement.

A parts truck had an original bolt No. 22237 on it and a mismatched one on the other side.

I Googled part 8124 and found the attached link.https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/27430874...53.m1438.l2649

I don't plan to use 80 year old rubber parts but it shows what they look like.

Thought I might go with a Nolathane polyurethane bushing of similar size.
Interested on any thoughts on the subject.

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0184a mlu.jpg   insulator radiator 67-8124 mlu.jpg  

Jacques Reed

Last edited by Jacques Reed; 15-09-21 at 23:18. Reason: Changed radiator bracket hole size from 3/4" to 11/16"
Old 12-09-21, 04:12
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Radiator mounts

Be handy to have a source of supply when you find a nolathane replacement insulator. I love all this detail, thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Good Day,

Been a bit quite lately as Melbourne's Covid 19 lockdown restricts my travel to 5 km from home.

I have been revisiting the radiator mounting arrangements on my Cab 13.
Years ago I bought a Dennis Carpenter radiator mounting bolt and pad set similar to an original set used on my truck as shown in the attached.

The Spares Parts List shows a rubber insulator No. 8124 at the lower bracket of the radiator. I was not really happy with the use of the springs and washers there as the 3/4" diameter hole in the radiator bracket is much larger than the 3/8" bolt allowing a fair bit of movement. The hole in the chassis support has been enlarged over time also from this movement.

A parts truck had an original bolt No. 22237 on it and a mismatched one on the other side.

I Googled part 8124 and found the attached link.https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/27430874...53.m1438.l2649

I don't plan to use 80 year old rubber parts but it shows what they look like.

Thought I might go with a Nolathane polyurethane bushing of similar size.
Interested on any thoughts on the subject.

Cheers,

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 27-11-21, 23:32
VMVC

Default Ford CMP- Replacement Radiator Insulators- Nolathane

Keith,

I found a closer match to the size required for the radiator insulators.

Just received them after a 3 week wait for the post.
According to Nolathane's own technical info they can be machined to fit other applications. They give tool angles and feeds required on a data sheet. I just have to turn down the collar that fits through the radiator mounting holes.

Working on a mandrel to hold it in the lathe. Will see how it all goes.

Name:	IMG_0170a.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	126215

On a completely different subject: I posted the attached photos on another site which may be of interest.

Yesterday I painted the headlight buckets a close match to the original reddish brown primer. They had been in just red primer for a long time.
Looking at available colours in aerosols of many brands, the closest match I could find was Mission Brown by White Knight paints sold at good old Bunnings. Although it was in gloss, a coat of clear satin took away a bit of the shine. It may not be a perfect match but it looks better than the red primer and give the buckets a bit of extra protection. Reassembled. last photo.

Name:	IMG_0164a.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	126216 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0167.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	126217 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0173a.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	126218
Cheers,

Jacques Reed

Last edited by Jacques Reed; 28-11-21 at 06:37. Reason: added photo, corrected typo
Old 28-11-21, 22:12
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Bushes

Good find Jacques! And you've also done a great job with the colour of the headlamp buckets.

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 21-01-22, 01:06
VMVC

Default Australian CMP- Holden 15 CWT GS Body- Bows

Good Day,

Sometimes when you have been searching for info for a long time it just drops in your lap. The following is a case in point.

I have looked for original dimensions of the bows for a Holden Body Works 15 CWT GS body for my Ford F-15A. Found a few photos of them over the years but was unsure of their originality or the quality was too poor for estimating or scaling sizes. Have seen some with a crank in them where they fit the body and perhaps they are also genuine but a variation. Will stick with these anyway.

On a Facebook group I follow the original photo of a Chev C15-A was posted recently taken from the militaryimages.net website. Probably an archive photo also. It is a wartime photo so leaves no doubt in my mind to the accurate representation of the bows. My GS body is identical to the one in the photo.

On MLU a while ago an original drawing of a 3 ton Australian GS body was posted. It specified 1" gas pipe for the bows. It also showed an outside radius at the bends of 6". A bit of an assumption but I assumed the same 6" outside radius would be used on the smaller body hoops. The scaling was consistent with that size radius which was reassuring. The radiator brush guard is also 1" pipe but heavier Schedule 80. The OD is the same however and a spare one fits well in my holders.

1" pipe schedule 40 is 1.314" OD. That fits in perfectly with the space at the original holders on my body. Knowing the inside distance between the side of the bows, 83" and the distance from the top of the sides to the bottom of the sides, 25-1/2" it was relatively easy to scale up the dimensions. The length of the lines shown are specified at the time of drawing. A bit of reverse model making!

So hopefully this is accurate. At least it is better than the dodgy 3/4" pipe bows that came with the truck. Always happy to accept better info if it comes to hand.

Attached Thumbnails
CMP canvas bows 2.jpg   GS body bows 2.jpg  

Jacques Reed
Old 21-01-22, 01:35
Mariano Paz

Hi Jacques!
GM H pics belong to oldcmp.net
https://web.archive.org/web/20061212...t:80/c15a.html
Regards
Attached Images

1944 Ariel W/NG
1945 FGT FAT
Old 21-01-22, 01:54

Default Pretty close ...

Hi Jacques,

According to MGO Equipment Order LV6/GEN/MT13/4 issued 11 December 1944, the following sizes apply to the Ford and Chev canopy frame:

Width of main vehicle body: 6 feet 10-1/4 inches (not overall width)

Width of canopy frame centre to centre of frame pipes: 7 feet 2 inches for Aust No.2, 7 feet 1/4 inch for Aust No.1.

Overall height: 3 feet 7 inches
Corner radius 6 inches

Didn't know you were looking for this info.

Mike
Old 21-01-22, 02:59
VMVC

Red face Canopy Frames Holden 15 CWT GS body

Hi Mike and Mariano,

Thanks for that info. The 6-11" is the actual measurement taken off my body at the pads where the frames rest against. Pads are 1/4" thick steel so pretty close to Equipment order dimensions when added to width of vehicle body. My centre to centre equals 6-11" + 1.315 (one x pipe OD) = 7' 5/16"!

If I deduct 1/2" from the centre height and the side height I pretty well have nailed it!

Thanks Mariano for supplying the source of the photo also. I owe you one too Keith. Looked at that site long ago but didn't remember that photo.

Cheers,

Jacques Reed

Last edited by Jacques Reed; 21-01-22 at 03:36. Reason: corrected height adjustment
Old 21-01-22, 03:50

Bingo! well done, that man!
Mike
Old 21-01-22, 04:01
VMVC

Default Revised Drawing- Holden 15 CWT GS body canvas frames

Thanks Mike again for your help.

I have attached a revised drawing for anyone who want to use it.
Took off the 1/2"s at the middle and sides.

As an old draughtsman I should have realized they don't like using fractions if they don't need them!

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
CMP canvas bows-rev.jpg  

Jacques Reed
Old 06-07-23, 05:15
VMVC

Default Ford CMP Logbook holder- Plans

Good Day,

I posted these drawings I made a few years ago, recently on the MLU Facebook page. Thought it might be useful to those who are not on FB.

The logbook holder, from which I took the measurements, was on an Australian assembled F-15 built in 1944 based on the data plate. Whether it was the same as other holders fitted to trucks built in Canada I cannot say. The lower rear of the cabin where it attaches was definitely Australian built as was most of the cabin sheet metal.

I did this drawing "Old School" with T square and triangles before I found the Paint.net app. I found it great for drafting. The ability to have separate layers for the object, dimensions, notes, etc make it easy to make corrections and move lines and shapes around. You don't erase things either you don't want erased by having components of the drawing on different layers.

I mentioned on MLU FB I have been a bit quiet lately on MLU. My only brother passed away suddenly 2 months ago. He lived 1200 km away and had no partner or kids, so I have been trying to settle the estate from a long way away. It is doable but time consuming and stressful. Trying to get back to the things I enjoy now so perhaps you will hear more of me in the future.

Hanno, for some reason I can post images again. Don't know what caused the problem but looks OK now.

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
logbook holder 1.jpg   logbook holder 2.jpg  

Jacques Reed