MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 21-05-10, 01:50

Default M38A1 Cdn2 engine vers American engine

The Canadian Cdn2 engine block in my 67 jeep cracked last month. I am in the process of replacing it with a U S engine block, serial # MD 124310. I am removing the 100 amp generator, all the 3 belt pulleys, along with the distributer, fuel pump, carb, starter and manifold from my Cdn2 engine. These items will be put on the rebuilt american engine, then installed in my jeep. My question to everyone is there any noticable difference in the two engines?
I would also like to find a 67/68 block to rebuild my original engine, and then install that one back into my jeep. I live down in the Chicago area, and there are very few canadian engines around here. Does anyone know the whereabouts of a good one that would fit my needs?? Also if it is in Canada... what are the custom regs on crossing the border with it? One more thing.. I am looking for a blank or replica of the data plate that is mounted on the wheelwell behind the passenger seat. Thanks
Richard
7105 96879
CFR 67-07832
Old 21-05-10, 02:24
carrier mech

According to my Canadian parts manual, on the page re the Cdn2 engine, you have listed the bulk of the variation between the early engines and the Cdn3. There is a different crankcase vent valve listed, and the primer system was standard on the Cdn2. Otherwise, it was basically the 60 amp alternator and the triple pulleys. As well, there is a different spark plug wire number given (all 4 alike: NSN 2920-21-848-9008). For all remaining parts on the Cdn2 engine, we used a manual which covered both the M38CDN and the M38A1CDN Jeeps.

Canada customs will not care about you bringing a Jeep engine block across. While our customs can be quite inane about many things coming into the country, they do not check you leaving, as is more becoming the norm when leaving the USA.
Old 21-05-10, 03:38

Default Have you been in touch....

...with Jim Fraser..... jeep collector par excellence.... he is listing Jeep parts for sale in the Sales section of MLU...... give him a call....

Boob
Canada
Old 21-05-10, 04:22
Terry Warner

Sarge, PM sent.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 21-05-10, 23:47

Rob,
So you see no problem that I will encounter in using the earlier american engine and adding all my Cdn2/3 parts.. correct. But what is the different fuel primer and engine crank vent that you mentioned..., will it cause a problem by not letting the engine function properly? or do I need to change something? Thanks Richard
Old 22-05-10, 01:42
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retsarge View Post
Rob,
So you see no problem that I will encounter in using the earlier american engine and adding all my Cdn2/3 parts.. correct. But what is the different fuel primer and engine crank vent that you mentioned..., will it cause a problem by not letting the engine function properly? or do I need to change something? Thanks Richard
There should be no problem at all. Hard to say which valve is different. It is likely the PVC valve down by the side pan, next top the fording shut off valve. But the basic engine is the same.