MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > Auction and Classified Ad Site Heads Up

Notices

Old 21-08-15, 02:35
GM Fox I

Default That's it, I'm done with e-bay

I used to like e-bay because every once and a while you got a deal, or sometimes it was outrageous but if you really REALLY wanted it, at least you could.

Then came the 'helpful' global shipping service that outsourced shipping and duty to Pitney Bowes. That doubled the winning bid amount which made it very deceptive. Still, if you knew, you could low ball your bid keeping this in mind. Problem is, the low bid made winning anything very rare.

But then came the final straw. I found an item with a 'best offer price' and before making an offer I asked the vendor about shipping, and whether he used the 'global ' service which I knew would double the price. "Shipping at cost" was the reply. So I offered $32US and it was accepted. The invoice comes in at $101. I contact the vendor to have him correct the obvious error. No, says he, that's correct. This thing is the size of a plump paperback and might weigh 5 pounds. I go on line to the US Postal Service to get a real price and, well, he's right. They only ship 'express' and, while he did pad it a little bit, it was close to the quoted shipping cost.

So now I figure that even if I was tempted to buy something, the shipping would make it prohibitively expensive. I just don't need it that bad.

I also figure it was part of a master plan.

Step 1: get people used to the great deals available on the internet. Shipping?....a pittance when compared to the savings.

Step 2: wait for the brick and mortar stores to go out of business.

Step 3: jack the shipping when the poor saps have no other choice.
Old 21-08-15, 03:03

Default post office

it's not ebay it's the post office changing there options for parcels going out of the US, only one choice, no more regular parcel option, now the shipping will break the bank, this started just over a year and a half ago,
Old 21-08-15, 03:27
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank v R View Post
it's not ebay it's the post office changing there options for parcels going out of the US, only one choice, no more regular parcel option, now the shipping will break the bank, this started just over a year and a half ago,
Don't care if e-bay scuttled the USPS or vice versa. I'm done.
Old 21-08-15, 04:14
Tony Baker

I do think ebay has contributed to this mess, by narrowing the options sellers are permitted to use. Their fees to sellers have risen substantially also, and they now take a cut of shipping fee. Ebay is not my friend now either.
Old 21-08-15, 04:37
MUTT Guy

I actually went so far as to close my EBay account after 15 years. This was the only way I could ensure a moment of weakness wouldn't bring me back.
It was actually being a Seller than really soured me. Between EBay fees, PayPal Fees and U.S. To CAD Conversion, I was taking a beating on sales. And then to top it off, PayPal would occasionally hold the buyers payment in escrow for two or three weeks for no rhyme or reason. Just terrible.
Old 21-08-15, 05:50
carrier mech

I have a place an hour away that holds the parcels for me on the US side. So I end up paying just the US shipping (often free), $3 for each parcel, and the 2.5 hour round trip.

Doesn't make sense for a single item, but when I time it right and place a number of order at one time period, the savings really add up.
Old 21-08-15, 13:37

Ebay started tightening the noose around the casual vendor a few years ago. When the site was originally set up, it was far more "friendly" to use. Then the rules changed, some due to abuses on both the vendors and buyers sides, but most often to increase the profit margin while at the same time lessening the liabilities of ebay. I have basically stopped selling on the site after "losing" two parcels and having paypal claw back the payment. (The buyers in both cases were shrewd and used the rules to their advantage. Even after they indicated to me that they didn't want to pay for p of d shipping. This was a couple of years ago before the changes required p of d.) Left me vulnerable, and I had to go to proof of delivery shipping to protect my sales. But, proof of delivery is expensive shipping.
A fellow had a lot of Cdn army cloth for sale late last winter. It was listed with GPS. The lot was listed at a reasonable rate, about $30 US for the items. The shipping was over $25 and the duties were, IIRC, about $15. This was for about 15 Canadian shoulder titles that could be easily shipped in an envelope. So, the carrying charges were more than the lot... When I messaged the vendor, showing him that USPS quoted significantly less rates, and that the goods in question were duty exempt (returning Canadian historical material) his reply told me to basically f*** o##. So I did. A vendor who does not consider shipping outside GPS, is really limiting their market. Unfortunately, it seems that many vendors are not aware of the charges added to the lots as they are automatically generated based on the buyers location. And, now ebay UK is using something similar to the GPS.
Like Bruce, I am pretty well done with ebay.

Last edited by Bill Alexander; 27-08-15 at 13:35.
Old 21-08-15, 16:22

Default Ebay on the downhill slide

Less and less is for sale. Anything in the US I use a US postal outfit and go pick it up myself. Lucky with that as It's not far off my regular routes and once you get the hang of it I almost never get asked to stop for inspection or taxes.
Made the mistake a couple of times as I was in a hurry for something and paid the price to have it come to the door. Ebay out of the UK has been pretty good, haven't felt burned by the shipping charges.
I still use Paypal as it is easy and not much more for the seller to pay than a direct credit card.
Old 22-08-15, 01:41

Not certain, but weren't eBay and PayPal owned by the same people at one time and didn't they recently sell off PayPal? If so, maybe they are now short cash and tightening up the screws.

I have noticed there seems to be more flipping of items than in past years. Seen it a lot with military pocket watches that get sniped at the last second and within a week you see the new owner flogging it with a significant mark up.

David
Old 22-08-15, 08:08
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

I was watching a recent auction for a B2 spy set. The auction was still live and had bidders. The lister closed it saying the item was no longer available.

The same item has now been listed by a different vendor for 4 times the previous price. It seems that ebay has become a place to advertise your wares and then make a deal privately, thus avoiding all the fees.
Old 24-08-15, 16:52

I agree with the aspect of flipping items. Have seen it happen too often in the recent past now. And, the reserve bid is a killer too. You think you have aced a bargain in a bid, but the item is removed and re-listed. One other thing, there are no measures in place to prevent a vendor from getting a different email account and different ebay account, then bidding up his own item. Just my two cents worth on this. Thanks Bruce.
Old 24-08-15, 18:11
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

I followed the new sale for the B2, it had a BIN price of 3500 GBP. It became "no longer available" as well. I calculated by closing the auction and selling privately the lister saved 250 GBP or 520 bucks Canadian. Not small change.

I agree with Bruce P. I think the little hobbyist seller is being forced out and replaced by online marketers.

Is there an alternative? Selling to our peers via groups like this is one avenue but the exposure is small. However I personally would rather deal with the people I know though than try to make mega bucks online. A lot of my radio kit went to friends and fellow Western Command members quite cheap before I relocated. A few Brits here did ok as well.

Bruce
Old 24-08-15, 22:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce MacMillan View Post
I followed the new sale for the B2, it had a BIN price of 3500 GBP. It became "no longer available" as well. I calculated by closing the auction and selling privately the lister saved 250 GBP or 520 bucks Canadian. Not small change.

I agree with Bruce P. I think the little hobbyist seller is being forced out and replaced by online marketers.

Is there an alternative? Selling to our peers via groups like this is one avenue but the exposure is small. However I personally would rather deal with the people I know though than try to make mega bucks online. A lot of my radio kit went to friends and fellow Western Command members quite cheap before I relocated. A few Brits here did ok as well.

Bruce
I didn't buy any of your radio gear, just your Cam nets. you were more than reasonable. Ever coming back for a visit?
Old 25-08-15, 00:20

Arrow I'm sorry I have to agree

Hi

As I said in my title - I'm sorry I have to agree, E-bay and Paypal started off as a good concept to sell stuff people to people as a good idea that seemed to work well. Until the money started to be the driving factor.

For years I was a bad ebay customer I'd decide what an item and its shipping cost was worth to me and that is what I'd bid to start. Almost never entering a second bid, and yes there are certain things that I really wanted that I would pay more for.

Like many of you I have watched stuff be offered then suddenly disappear to come back at a higher starting price.

I still have some searches looking for particular items but I stick to my rule now of what is it really worth to me and that's all I'll bid. I have not done any new searches in at least a year because from my way of thinking they have reworked their search engine to make searches less specific so that you have to look at a lot more stuff. Also the number of totally unrelated items that will come up in a search just goes to show how people have learned to game the system. Does ebay care only if they don't get their cut.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 26-08-15, 17:01

I WAS eye-balling an almost new tech manual for PRC-10 radio on ebay for only 0.99.
However, shipping via USPS is $27.50!
Old 26-08-15, 23:09
3RD ECHELON WKSP

I truly believe the fairest prices are found between collectors on places like MLU and various other web forums.
Ebay has become the land of ridiculous pricing, either bids being shilled, closed and opend again or by persons who really do not know what the actual value of the commodity is.
Who knows better what items are really worth, other than collectors?
Sure, it is great to make a ton of money dealing stuff on ebay but at the end of the day it does not help the collector community one bit.
We have all been victim to it. You often see people referencing eBay as the baseline for evaluations on anything.
Send eBay and Paypal a message by not dealing there.
And then there is the fact that eBay has become so restrictive to what can and cannot be sold or advertised.

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 27-08-15, 00:53

Default Collector to Collector

Hi All

Chris raises an interesting point, "collector to collector" that I have notice over the last few years, even with some of the noted wheeler dealers in are local club events. Some of them now seem to have two prices one for the person they expect to sell it again and a lower price to those who they know actually will use it on their own vehicle.

This even seems to now include whole vehicles.

With this type of thinking there is hope for the MV hobby.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 27-08-15, 16:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Waterman View Post
Hi All

Chris raises an interesting point, "collector to collector" that I have notice over the last few years, even with some of the noted wheeler dealers in are local club events. Some of them now seem to have two prices one for the person they expect to sell it again and a lower price to those who they know actually will use it on their own vehicle.

This even seems to now include whole vehicles.

With this type of thinking there is hope for the MV hobby.

Cheers Phil
You are exactly right Phil. My experience was everything was "unobtainium" Until I showed up with my Truck, a little rough and missing things. Others saw the "sweat Equity" I had invested and the doors opened to help and access to unobtainium.
Old 30-08-15, 23:34

Default Epay

Gents what kills me with Epay is the game some sellers are playing with us. Recently i bid for a WW2 item . I was ready to pay top dollar not looking for a bargain. I was bidding against competitors that had 50-60 percent activity with the seller in the past 60 days and opted out when i felt i was being taken to the cleaners with an extravagant counterbid , again .

Then they put it back up for auction a couple weeks later...

It is in my opinion it is unacceptable when auctions are rigged by the the seller. Same as in live auctions. When in an auction a couple of guys always bid higher than you do on everything you bid on whatever the item , it is rigged.

If that is not a turnoff , i don't know what is . I have made complaints when answering Epay's customer feedbacks but never received an honest answer.

I am done with Epay also.
94 LSVW
Old 31-08-15, 01:03
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Ebay has become greedy and so have the vendors, plain and simple.
It used to be a fun dealing site that has turned into big business. Now the fun is gone.
I have been finished for quite some time now myself, first as a seller and now as a buyer.

1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,

Old 31-08-15, 01:07
carrier mech

I have always hated schilling (the act of bidding up one's own material), and won't deal with auction houses that allow it.
Old 31-08-15, 12:15

I agree guys. But shilling has been, and always will be, an aspect of auction. It is not uncommon to place friends at an auction to bid up the price of a vendor's item. Unfortunately Ebay has left the doors wide open to this. I don't mind going head to head with them for an item of interest. However, as I mentioned before, the shipping costs have gone ballistic, which is now making purchasing something on ebay rather redundant.
Old 21-07-18, 03:28
GM Fox I

Default Has ebay changed again?

I remain true to my word about never dealing with ebay again but I do check up from time to time to see how silly prices are going. It used to be that if I bookmarked something and it sold I could click on my bookmark to see what it sold for. Now when I click on an ended auction, or even my history viewing items, all I get is an ebay page that says "ebay found these similar items for you". What's up?
Old 21-07-18, 03:45
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Ebay is BS and I quit many years ago. They have artificially inflated the values on almost everything and have soured the collector market. Nowadays people think everything they have for sale is gold, merely because of precedences set by overzealous bidders who are out of touch with reality.
Add in the fact of Pitney Bowes and USPS raping Customers and thats enough for me.

1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,

Old 21-07-18, 03:56
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris vickery View Post
Ebay is BS and I quit many years ago. They have artificially inflated the values on almost everything and have soured the collector market. Nowadays people think everything they have for sale is gold, merely because of precedences set by overzealous bidders who are out of touch with reality.
Add in the fact of Pitney Bowes and USPS raping Customers and thats enough for me.
Have you noticed the shipping charges from the USA are almost always double the price of the item. Then you throw in a jr.trudeau $.70 Canadian dollar. You'd have to want the item pretty bad to deal with that markup.
Old 21-07-18, 13:34

Bruce, if you ever buy anything from the UK, get it shipped to me, I can then get it to you at the best price I can find.

Kevin
1941 Standard Mk1 stowage Carrier, light stone.
10 cwt wartime mortar trailer.
1943 Mk2 Daimler Dingo.
1943 Willys MB.
1936 Vickers MG carrier No1 Mk1 CMM 985.
Old 06-08-18, 03:06
GM Fox I

Default Well it just gets better and better

I had bookmarked an ebay item just to see what happened to it and when I went back I got this message in a banner at the bottom of the screen:

"By clicking on an item or other link on the website or Accept, you agree to the use of cookies and other technologies to process your personal data to enhance and personalise your experience across the eBay portfolio of brands, including eBay or third-party advertising tailored to you, on and off our sites. Additionally, third-party companies, who we partner with, may store cookies on your device and use similar technologies to collect and use certain information for advertising personalisation, measurement and analytics"

Well holy crap. Just what the hell are you agreeing to, and with whom and for what purpose??? Granting unknown third parties the right to put things on your computer?? They really want you to allow all that just to view an ebay item??? There is no 'decline'. If you want to go further you have to agree or quit. So...I quit.
Old 06-08-18, 20:43

I use a re-shipper for stuff from the USA... so pay local rate shipping to them... and for heavy stuff in the UK, I pay the courier to collect from the seller... rather than let the seller charge me to have it shipped.

That said - it is rare I buy anything from epay.

Tim
Old 07-08-18, 14:26

Has anyone received the Siskens law firm letter re: the class action suit against
UPS? I have, anyone who was ever raped for brokerage fees is apparently a part of the class. A bit off topic, but we Canadians have been severely bent over by UPS.
1952 M38 CDN
Old 08-08-18, 01:50

Hi

Kindly bear in mind that it's not always the sellers.

I sell on ebay. I'm an infrequent seller but have been at it for 11 years now. Some of you have bought from me so I can honestly say this. First off, I sell in order to make money to buy and keep things that I like to have. Stuff in my "theme". I certainly am not an expert on everything that I buy to sell but try to learn enough to be dangerous (to myself) and usually get things cheap enough to sell on for a bit of profit. Sometimes I'm lucky and there more profit to be made. I have my own set limits; I don't deal in MVs, large bits or weapons, and try to stay with Commonwealth uniform and "accessory" Militaria. Antenna's to Force Z patches. That sort of thing. I do not make my living this way but also do not use my household income to fund my hobby.

Everything that I sell, I clearly and honestly describe, list a starting price usually not far above what I paid for it and most often well below retail/market (if I know) and offer a winner shipping costs. These are based on experience over time. I do not subscribe to their Global Shipping Program. I put a Domestic, US and "everywhere else" shipping price in the sale details. Tracked and insured in almost every case. Domestic and US Letter (so a cloth badge or something flat like a document) I usually send for free. Airmail letter abroad only if the value is negligible. Even then I don't allow sales/shipping to some countries. In fact I use the exclusion lists and do not ship to many parts of the world. Italy, Russia, China and S. Africa among them. Too many burned me in the past saying it never arrived. Packages or Parcels go Tracked and Insured. Anything listed for or likely to make more than $75 goes tracked and insured anywhere.

Very labour intensive and requiring a certain amount of familiarity with shipping options based on package sizes and weights. Lots of communication with Buyers. I also do not live next door to a Post Office. If I overcharge, I refund to the half dollar. If I undercharge, I eat it. May as well; my fault and I probably did just make money from the person.

I don't think that I'm like the sellers you all are talking about and believe me, I'm almost giving up on ebay too but as a seller. Fees (ebay, Paypal, Shipping, GSP etc etc) aside, dis-honest buyers was always my biggest turn off. I'd like to help out my buyers with cheap shipping but too often that is recipe for failure. One guy paid me in stamps, once long ago, because I never specified that I would not take stamps!! Many begged for cheap un-tracked shipping and then "it never arrived" and I send back all the money cuz Ebay says so. Even when I show them the begging emails!! I learned that unless I know you, you get squat for consideration.

IMHO, ebay always favoured the buyer but now, due to seller "protections", it's the sellers that are forced to not offer in-expensive shipping. Sure many overcharge and eBay's GSP it a cash-grab but I guess that's the beauty of a free market economy; you don't have to buy it. Ebay is not a mom and pop operation anymore and little guy sellers like me have a hard time dishing out 17+ % of any profit back to fees as much as these buyer complaints above but at least I sleep well at night know that I go out of my way, as a seller, to not screw over a buyer.

regards
Darrell