MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 20-05-10, 09:16

Default Radio installation in M38 and A1 1/4 ton truck

This Handbook covers the installation of the C42 radio set in the M38 and M38A1 series jeeps.I have copied the diagrams only out of the handbook as there are 30 + pages of info.You can use the diagrams for a reference to mount the hardware.Make sure you have the right mounting info for your jeep before drilling holes.

Derk.
1943 Bantam T-3 1/4 ton trailer
BSA folding airborne bicycle ser#R5325 (early)
Old 20-05-10, 09:26

Default more

The radio mounts shown here are for the M38.The M38A1 had a tray bolted to the fender and the 2 brackets that were mounted to the radio slid into the tray and were bolted down underneath the front of the tray.Does anybody have a picture of the adapter tray I am talking about?

Here is the radio installation in my M38;

For the installation and mounting of the ATU and aerial mast for the M38A1 CDN2 series jeep,it was this bracket on the left rear corner.

Derk.
1943 Bantam T-3 1/4 ton trailer
BSA folding airborne bicycle ser#R5325 (early)
Old 20-05-10, 10:39

Default Thanks for the info!

This is fascinating and extremely interesting information. Thanks for posting this!

Craig Tanner
Burton N.B.
Old 22-05-10, 15:34
Terry Warner

Default C42 radios

You posting brought back memories (mostly bad). The C42 installation I used in 1976 had a 3-sided sheet metal shelf that mounted above the radio. Each of the assorted control boxes were mounted there. The only other pieces were the Antenna Tuning Unit on a base behind the spare tire carrier. This resembled but was different from the RT524 Antenna Mounting Unit base.

The C42 has no noise acctuated squelch. Entire generations of radio operators have hearing loss from listening to that blasted growling in one or both ears! The switch sequence starts with the Power Supply Vibrator moves to the right. But the job isn't done until the operator gets the needle on the ATU swinging from left to right centred between the dots while the pressel switch is depressed.

When we received the RT524 and PRC77 sets, absolutely no one was unhappy to get rid of the C42s and PRC510s.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 22-05-10, 15:56
M38A1 CDN3

Terry:

At least the C42 had a squelch, even though it was "old squelch" (noise operated). At the time it was a vast improvement over the WS No 19, which created no end of operator fatigue.

Ref the 3 sided shelf...if you were using a vehicular set up, that shelf should have been removed. The shelf was used only for classroom or National Survival set ups, with the ATU and Simulator ATU mounted on the shelf.
Old 22-05-10, 21:59

Default C-42

thanks very much for posting this info Ill just use it for installation of C-42 to my latest restoration of 1966 Landrover S11A cheers malcolm
Old 23-05-10, 16:01
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Skagfeld View Post
Terry:

At least the C42 had a squelch, even though it was "old squelch" (noise operated). At the time it was a vast improvement over the WS No 19, which created no end of operator fatigue.

Ref the 3 sided shelf...if you were using a vehicular set up, that shelf should have been removed. The shelf was used only for classroom or National Survival set ups, with the ATU and Simulator ATU mounted on the shelf.
Well, the shelf was part of the installation (at least for Sher H Jeeps c.1976). If we were doing it wrong, go back in time and tell off the Sergeant Major. As I recall, it was a handy place to put the misc. component boxes and cabling, without drilling any more holes in the body. Yes, it was tall but there were extra places to put your note book, RP4 ration boxes and mittens. The wooden crates for National Survival deployments were stacked up at the end of the drill hall. I don't remember ever using them. Someone more 'referenced' than me can explain the various little bits on that particular checklist.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 24-05-10, 12:54

Default C-42 radio

here's a couple of pictures of my set plus atu...ready for fitting...just awaiting reurn of vehicle from the workshops....cheers malcolm
Attached Thumbnails
C-42 & ATU 001.jpg   C-42 & ATU 002.jpg