MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 23-04-06, 11:24
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Brave man!

Hey Alan, you should've come up and said hi!

I was on top of the Matilda, then the Buffalo.

Keith

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 23-04-06, 12:17
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

He probably didn't recognise you with all the other cameras about. The Auction featured on the Channel 9 and Channel 10 news tonight.
Old 23-04-06, 12:40
Film maker, CMP addict

Default And the ABC were there

Quote:
The Auction featured on the Channel 9 and Channel 10 news tonight.
They were doing a piece on the collection and auction for the Collectors program.

My program will be for you chaps to enjoy.

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 23-04-06, 12:56

Hi Keith,
I thought it might have been you.

Did you happen to film the humber sale as i thought i paid $2250 but the auctioneers say $3250 if it was on film we could check!
Old 23-04-06, 12:58
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Filming

Quote:
Originally posted by alan coulson
Hi Keith,
I thought it might have been you.

Did you happen to film the humber sale as i thought i paid $2250 but the auctioneers say $3250 if it was on film we could check!
I'm pretty sure I didn't; by that stage I was running low on Batteries and tape but I'll have a look tomorrow.

From the notes John made it appears to have been the higher amount.

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 23-04-06, 13:01

No ,worries just check my email box.
Must of been to excited at the time!!

Nearly bought the 6x6 blitz but the wife would of killed me!!
Old 25-04-06, 02:38

Alan
The Humber was the truck I was interested in and I agree that it went for the $3250...Bugger, I thought no one else would be interested in it , I just love all those hatches for everything, and that its got just about everything you could possibly put on a truck. Have fun.
Richard
Old 25-04-06, 04:19

Richard,

I went on Saturday to have a look and when i seen the humber with all those features i had to have it!
When i get it going you can have a drive no problem!
Old 25-04-06, 08:58
Richard Notton

Quote:
Does anyone have manual's for one of these i think i need it!
You will indeed be looking for manuals in the plural. Around this time the British army split the "manual" into several segments dealing with maintenance and repair at several levels. Typically, the drivers manual with some basic data, unit field repair, unit base repair, REME field repair and REME base repair.

Each document goes into a successively deeper level and there would be a technical description and an illustrated parts list too - handy document as the assemblies are shown in exploded view.

The RR B Range engine has its own manual being a common type used in 4, 6 and 8 cylinder versions.

None of these are that uncommon here and often seen on dealers tables, it may be a different story in Oz I'm afraid.

If the truck has stood for many, many years un-run and almost certainly un-inhibited, may I suggest you bring the engine to life in a careful manner, this may well save it from severe damage in the first few revs owing to all the dry bearings.

It is a conventional wet sump configured RR B60 Mk.5A or 5K engine and with some consideration of the breather locations as we don't want to make a mess, absolutely fill it with oil until it will take no more and let it sit a day or two, then drain down to the correct level, motor it on the starter for a few seconds with the plugs out and then go for it.

This works for almost any engine too and I have seen a few wrecked with scored bores, picked-up bearings and scuffed cams where well-meaning people have succeded in getting a chuff out of a long unrun engine.

R.
Old 25-04-06, 09:41

Richard.
Thanks for the info and good advise!
If you ever come across any manuals let me know.
Old 25-04-06, 19:24
Richard Notton

Quote:
Richard.
Thanks for the info and good advise!
If you ever come across any manuals let me know.
I'll keep a look out, I expect Clive E, who frequents these parts has some though and I do have the RR engine manual for B Range engines TSD 702 and the EMER for them too, Power S 522 IIRC.

R.
Old 26-04-06, 02:33
Phil

Hey there Alen!

If you are after any info in particular I may be able to help you out one way or another... I only have photo copy manuals for my Humber.

BTW if you are chassing any parts let me know as i have some NOS parts and 1 other Humber as a parts truck too.

Well have fun with it. They are an interesting truck and good to drive when you get over the fuel consumption 7.5~9mpg

Phil...
Milt Land Rovers
Inc:- 58 "gun buggy", 60 FFW, 70 FFW, 71 10 seater Wgn, 69 GS.
M3 Stuart Light Tank "hybrid"
FV1600 Humber FFW/cargo
Mk1 Ferret scout car (waiting restoration)
Various trailers
Inc:- K38, "Ben Hur" 1 ton, 200 Gal "Humber" water tank Tlr, Aust jeep, Landrover recovery.
Milt Radios
etc etc...
Old 26-04-06, 13:43

Phil

I'll keep that in mind!
Went back to the museum today to arrange pickup ,not much has been moved out yet.
Spoke the John he tells me it should still run so keep fingers crossed,also happy to see it had the winch on this vehicle.
One question whats all the hydraulic piping for under the bonnet and in front of radiator?
Old 27-04-06, 06:10
Phil

Hi Alen!

Well some of the pipeing is for the engine oil cooler. Then seeing the vehicle is semi submergeable just about everything has a breather and or grease nipple.

One good part with them because of their design many parts are interchangable with other vehicles... champ, ferret etc

eg
*brake components (drums,shoes etc) Humber <--> Ferret
*engine (most of it) Humber <---> Ferret
*engine bolt ons (water pump, starter etc) Humber <-> Ferret <-> champ <-> and RR "B" series engined item.
*electrical items & fittings (instrament cluster, lights etc) Humber <-> Champ, Ferret, etc and even some items off 101" Landrovers and other ex-milt Landrovers.

As far as I know most other most other parts like diff, gearbox, body work etc are prity much unique to the FV1600 series vehicles.

Oh by the way I noticed that your grill is battle dammaged... well I happen to have a couple of NOS 1's

If you want to chat about Humber things let me know and i'll pass on my phone number to you.

Phil...
Milt Land Rovers
FV1600 Humber FFW/cargo
Various trailers
Inc:- K38, "Ben Hur" 1 ton, 200 Gal "Humber" water tank Tlr, Aust jeep, Landrover recovery.
Milt Radios
etc etc...
Old 13-05-06, 12:27

Phil,
Sorry for late reply the computer was bogged.
If i could give you a call would be great.
Got the humber cranking over no problem oil light goes out no funny noises so it's looking good so far.
Old 04-06-06, 03:01

Default Humber 1 Tonne or Humber Pig varients

Hi, I'm new to this so you'll need to be patient with me. I'm researching my late father military service. Dad served with the Queens Own Highlanders (British regiment) during 1960's. Seaforths during 1950's. Does any one know if there are any humber pig varients in Australia ?? Also seeking anyone with a 1 tonne Humber in Sydney willing to let me take a few happy snaps for my own records.

If any one has any photos of the HUMBER PIG serving in BAOR (British Army Of The Rhine ) during the 1960's can they please get in touch also. With particular reference to any serving with my dads regiment.

You can email me at my e-mail address.

Many thanks Sonny

Just a foot note, congratulations to all you vehicle collectors/restorers, judging by some of the photos on here you're doing an awesome job.
Old 18-08-06, 09:04
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Should anyone be willing enough to join the ranks of the Aussie Humber owners, there are 2 1940 ( !) Humbers for sale for a very reasonable price ( !!) on e-bay. Item no 250019581664. No connection with the seller.
Old 18-08-06, 10:25
Phil

Ummm yes.... well I sent off a email to the seller setting them on the right track about them. I wonder if they will update there discription?

Its not the 1st time I have seen the old 1 Ton Humber miss represented...

There was a car auction mob here in Brisbane back in the 90's advertising one as a "WW2 Rols Royce amphibious wepons carrier" with a asking price of $20,000. It never got sold.

Phil...
Milt Land Rovers
FV1600 Humber FFW/cargo
Various trailers
Milt Radios
etc etc...
Old 09-05-07, 04:02
02 BK 09 ; 02 BK 32

Hello everyone, I am new here, and stumbled across the thread on a routine Humber Google search. I have never seen so many great photos or so many people talking Humbers in one place.

I have just sold an FV1601A rescued as a rusty wreck from a welsh barn 7 years ago and have just taken on another - Funny enough it is just a few numbers away on the production line, my old one was No. 232, this is No. 209. (The UK military reg numbers matched the vehicle number hence 209 is 02 BK 09 and 232 is 02 BK 23 etc.)

This new one is the worst looking wreck I have ever attempted - I got this free and could not break it up - I think that these are astonishing vehicles and rare as 'the proverbial' , so worth a shot. Also durable as hell - previous posts commented on the complex maintenance - true enough but I have never seen another engine that matches the RR B series ability to drive the wreck out of the bog that it was driven into 25 years ago. Forget all that Landrover stuff, splashing through water with rubber gloves & WD40 on the distributor - the Humber will operate all day every day underwater if prepared and the instruments, switches and lights will all carry on working too.

I have tried to attached pics of the old one but I can't get to grips with the size thing - give me B60 points any day. I won't attach photos of the beast just yet - it is so bad that I feel I need to explain my sanity more that I have space for in a first message - it is long enough anyway.

Regards,
Tom
Portsmouth
UK
Old 09-05-07, 10:17

Tom. Doing up these non-armoured Humbers is quite a challenge. You may know this already about 02 BK 09.

Date in service 16/3/53
Struck off 29/7/64
Sold 30/9/64
Engine No.3487
As you may know most were sold off at Ruddington & I have most records for there including sale price, but this went from Ashchurch & I have no details I'm afraid

Are you aware of:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HUMBER-FV1600/

I have:
FV1601 (rusted away & spares for the rest)
FV1609
FV1612
FV1620
UK
Old 09-05-07, 10:56
02 BK 09 ; 02 BK 32

Hi Clive - no I did NOT know about the Yahoo group - which is funny as I have been chasing round after Humbers for years. And NO, I did not know the information about 02 BK 09, but this matches the 'B' reg number plate that she is wearing. Thanks.

I thought I knew a fair bit about these machines but you and other people on this forum know a lot that I don't - so I am glad to have bumped into you and look forward to getting onto the Yahoo group. A big thank you to MLU for making this possible!

Yes, they are a challenge but good fun too - during any stripdown you ar full of admiration for the engineering at the same time as cursing how damn difficult the parts are to pull out due to extreme waterproofing etc. - it's all about attitude - some people play with stationary engines just for fun but once something has wheels people expect the thing to be practical!

The fact that 02 BK 09 is nearly dead (in some people's eyes it is already ACTUALLY dead) - is quite liberating. Most owners of 1950s Rolls Royce engines do not feel at liberty to open them up themselves - as I must do because some plonker took out No1 spark plug 25 years ago....sure, it will be NASTY in there, but if I can get that beast to drive herself out of the hole she has sunk into on 5 cylinders in a cloud of smoke that will be great, and if the vehicle ever comes to anything I can get another B60 later on. Also I have always liked the photos of the open cab versions - 03 BK 52 - but Les Freathy posted pics of a different one on this forum too - but would NEVER chop the top off such a rare vehicle. But when you see 02 BK 09 you will see that the roof is really finished - rusty, then hit with a JCB - so I can actually progress with a lot of freedom with this machine. I was going to build a replica of prototype 112 WK as an off-roader but now feel that I can achieve 03 BK 52 - but Les's photos look like they have an easier-to-make sidescreen / door top arrangement.

I would say that almost ANY rusty Humber wreck could be buit into a 112 WK replica - as log as you start with a decent chassis - to take to off-road events and show the Toyota boys some proper deep fording.

All those Australian trucks - it is so dry that even the dead burnt one in the Bush is better than ANY (except restored ones) that you find here in the UK. I love our weather - the spring is so green here - but it makes our Humbers collapse into a soggy mess of rust and moss.

You are not far from me - I would love to see yours sometime. When I work out how to compress pictures to '700' I will put some pictures up.

I have tried to attach 02 BK 32 as found in 2001

Regards,
Tom
Attached Thumbnails
humber07.jpg  
Old 09-05-07, 11:17
02 BK 09 ; 02 BK 32

Well that worked, here is another picture. Needless to say it was worse than it looked - there was a 4 inch gap where the gutter and part of the roof had been down one side and along the back, the passener step fell off when we moved the vehicle, as did the spare wheel cover locking nut bracket. Also the back axle was broken, driving only on the front wheels, no exhaust at all, fuel pump membrane collapsed - it had been in a shed in Hay-on-Wye for 25 years without moving. Still, she fired up OK and we actually DROVE her home after a few hours work, including a quick re-paint and a roadside repair when the palm of my glove became the fuel pump diaphragm.

Don't ask. Just don't ask. Still, she made it - 275 miles in 10 hours. Ears ringing with the boom of the exhaust, screens open to avoid poisoning ourselves. Apalling handling on the front axle alone. The ONLY thing that worked well were the 24V headlights - stuck on main beam beacause at that stage I could not find the cunningly disguised dip switch - so the travellers we met going the other way had the blood vessels in the back of their eyes illuminated. We could barely hear their frindly hooting over the roar of an unsilenced B60. When we arrived in South London at 7am we were trailed for half a mile by a Police car as the exhaust echoed like thunder off the building fronts - but he obviously wanted his breakfast and decided he had not seen our convoy -we went down in a friend's 1944 Dodge WC52 - and he pulled into Streatham Police Station.

We used a LOT of petrol that day.

Needless to say I am now older and wiser, a responsible family man with 2 young boys - and would NOT do anythig so irresponsible now - but 02 BK 32 is now a very tidy machine - still more work to do for the new owner - there always is - but she is certainly a survivor, when, despite how good she looks in the pictures, she really was marginal when I got her, another couple of years in that leaking shed and she waould have been beyond any hope.

Regards,
Tom
Portsmouth
UK
Attached Thumbnails
humber08.jpg  
Old 09-05-07, 11:26

Tom. Nice to meet you although I am surprised we haven't come across each other before. I am working on the FV1620 getting it ready for the reunion of the Para Sqn RAC reunion. Here it is last year at Bovy Camp (not museum)

Then week after that got to finish the FV1609 which is back to bare metal on most of it.

But armoured stuff takes a lot of time to rust thats why yours are so rare. Which I supose is not just the thiness of metal itself but many will have been in breakdown role & out all weather in our salt laden roads.

I assume I will see the two FV1604s of Chris Pearce & John TC at Horndean. Although I am into Land Rovers they are no2. I suppose Humbers represent my childhood of the Dinky toy era & the toys are just a bit bigger now.
UK
Old 09-05-07, 12:29
02 BK 09 ; 02 BK 32

Hi Clive, nice to meet you too. The FV1620 looks really nice, a better standard than I can aspire to at the moment with stuff as life with kids doesn't leave much time for Humbers or in fact anything. They are boys, and they see a rive in a military vehicle as a good thing, so that helps...

It's funny that you mention the Dinky versions. That;'s what got me started on this, I dug a Humber 1-Ton up in the garden, than as time went on, I had an Austin K9 and saw other types that matched the classic Dinky range, so the Humber became notable for it's absence on the scene - the toy is pretty common, unlike the real thing. This mystery, plus the fact that from the toy I could see that the Humber was a damn fine looking vessel - I think one of the best looking British trucks ever produced - with the long nose and US style low windscreen, but also those lovely, big chunky wheels at each corner that ensure that it looks better than any of the classic US '50s picy-ups - not to mention great 'military' detailing - hatches and big ironmongery to offset the pretty '50s styling and make sure you don't forget that this is a military machine through and through, unlike the converted 4WD removal trucks that the MOD were later forced to adopt because of cost saving. The Humber is a great size too, proper 'big truck' feel to drive but really easy to park and does not take up the whole street like an RL or something.

A lot is said about the poor performance, espcially from the Australian tradition where 4.25 litres is no big deal (hey guys, we were still driving 900cc cars back then!)- a big, heavy, complicated truck to move a small payload - but I really think that to make sense of the thing you need to go back to the original CT concept that these were designed for - in that context a vehicle that will operate in the most harsh conditions and will NOT fail, and WILL get you up the beach even if the landing craft stops short, WILL get you home and will be infinately repairable with no component that cannont be completely stripped and re-built - I cannot think of many vehicles that would match the Humber as long as it is well maintained. Sure, some weaknesses, the back axle, etc. but it barely got past prototype stage before it was axed - and the rusty body, but they had lived their service lives before the rust became a big deal.

So of it is compared with conventional trucks to do conventional jobs, yes it will come second place, but it can do some stuff that a conventional truck just can't do. The failings of this vehicle (and it's little brother the Champ) were all really about attitude and perception of the user. They specified a Champ. and then decided that they wanted a Landrover instead, and then tried to use the Champ as a Landrover...well it makes a pretty poor Landrover for a lot more effort.

As a last aside, as far as I can see the Dinky toy is actually a model of prototype LYN69, not of the actual production vehicle.
Old 10-05-07, 12:23

Default Humber FV

Hi Tom,
Its Ok, its Ok..... you 're preaching to the converted. I first saw one of these a few years back, but had just started restoring my Blitz, so was'nt game to bring it home. Regretted it since of course. Now that I've all but finished I am on the look out for the next project, which I hope to be one of these beasty's. Its amazing how many of these are actually lurking around, and like the Champ are a much maligned vehicle, until you speak to someone who actually owns one.
Anyone know how much one of these actually weighs?
Cheers
Rich.
Old 10-05-07, 15:24

Default Re: Humber FV

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Coutts-Smith
Anyone know how much one of these actually weighs?
Cheers
Rich.
Kerb weight with fuel, tools, spare wheel etc but less driver

Front 2,044lb 928kg
Rear 1,624lb 737kg
Total 3,669lb 1,664kg

Laden Gross Total 4,480lb 2,032kg
UK
Old 11-05-07, 10:21
02 BK 09 ; 02 BK 32

Hi Rich - Oops! I have some learning to do - I have never felt the need to join a Web Forum ever before....so I need to learn not to write an essay each time. I guess that after years obsessing about these things (it took me seven years to find mine...) I have a lot to get off my chest.

There seem to be more lying around in Australia than here - that's because in this country they rusted to a soggy mess within weeks of being parked up when their career as a tow truck was finished....

I also need some software to resize my photos. Here is a VERY rusty humber that went on eBay a few months back.
Attached Images

Old 11-05-07, 10:24
02 BK 09 ; 02 BK 32

And another picture. Just check out where the tow hook bracket is in relation to the rest of the body.
Attached Images

Old 11-05-07, 10:28
02 BK 09 ; 02 BK 32

And another picture. When the dashboard falls to bits with rust you know it's rusty....and remember, as I know from my orange one, they always look better in photos than they actually are.

On the previous picture, I meant the tow hitch bracket on the back of the chassis (4 holes in the rectangular plate ) and not the recovery crane
Attached Images

Old 11-05-07, 14:08

Default Humber Fv

Clive,
thanks for the weights. Should be able to sneak one home on a good trailer. Once heard the Humber described as a 3ton truck built to carry a 1/4 ton, but was not sure how close to the mark it was.
Tom, those pictures are frightening, we may have some rust problems right on the coast but I tend to think of rust as that brown dust you rub off before you start painting.
By the way, is the drive layout coventional 4x4, (motor, G'box,transfer case, splitting to front and back diffs)or is it like the Champ (Motor, G'box,Back diff/transfer, front diff)? For that matter do they have 2 speed transfer case, or just a low first?
Love the positioning of the winch... when you get stuck you can winch out, but the reason you got stuck was the winch dragging on the ground. Does the winch pull from the front, or just from the back..can' remember seeing any fairleads at either end??
Hooroo
Rich.