MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 20-08-03, 14:22

Default Late Chev Steering Wheels & Paint

1. Late model Chev wooden steering wheels - were they painted kahki or did they have a "wood" finish? I have seen numerous trucks restored with a wood finish but am wondering if that is because the wood wheels are so nice. My wheel appears to have remnants of kahki paint in the less used areas. Any help would be appreciated!

2. Horn buttons & steering columns - were these painted black or kahki?

3. Does anyone supply a "spray bomb" for kahki that would be the correct paint for a late 1944 Chev?

4. Does anyone have the correct paint code for this truck? The original paint appears to be an olive drab.

Thank you.

Stewart
Old 20-08-03, 15:15
Chev44

Default Wheels

I just finshed refinishing my wood wheel for my 44 Chev.
It is wood, and had a coinsiderable amount of khaki paint on it, where the rim was not worn too much.
But after sandblasting it and sanding it, I masked it off and varnished it anyway with a tough marine varnish. May not be "original" or "authentic" but the wood grain looked too nice to me to cover up again.

Brian Asbury has Aervo Khaki 35087 here in Ontario that is close to what was already on my truck, so I went with that.
As for "correct" paint, I won't even open that can can of worms. Just try to match original paint on your vehicle.

HTH
Don
Old 20-08-03, 15:54

Default Steering Wheels

Don,

I did see your truck at the farmhouse at Wymess (sp ???) behind the HD dealership. My memory may be fooling me but for some reason I thought your truck had a plastic steering wheel on it? I never did get speaking to the owner as they were never there when I stopped in. I didn't get a good look at your truck as I did not want to intrude without permission. I just viewed it from the laneway. I thought it was strange that a late model Chev had a plastic wheel although I have seen others with round gauges, lift slings, etc, and plastic wheels. They must have been built in the "transition period." For some reason (based on what I could see) I thought it looked like your truck had a Ford wheel.

Did your truck have a round or square hatch? I'm guessing round??? I think it was a Wire 3 so I would guess round. What are your plans for the roof hatch?

Thanks for the information about paint and wheel.

Where is Brian Ashbury located?

Stew
Old 20-08-03, 16:20
MLU Administrator

Default Re: paint

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Dingwall
As for "correct" paint, I won't even open that can can of worms.
The paint can of worms was opened and eaten - see paint schemes for CMP trucks and follow the links to Mike Starmer's series of articles on paint colours.
Old 20-08-03, 23:58
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Brian Asbury...

Stew
Brian Asbury
PO Box 26
Milton Ontario L9T-2Y3
1-519-853-1738
Phone/Fax(Same Number..)
Brian is not online and he travels lots so Fax or leave messages and he will return calls...
He swears he is going on line soon..
He's not a grumpy old hermit,but a nice guy that is away a lot but ensures me he answers his calls..
Alex
Old 21-08-03, 00:09
Chev44

Default Wemyss trucks.....

Hi Stew:
Actually the one I originally went to see was the one by the HD shop -I was told it definitely NOT for sale, so I asked if he knew of any others. Sure, he says, 300 yards away in a barn. So I scooted over and the rest is history.....or should I say the rest is all over my garage.....

The steering wheel in it was plastic that he put on post war, but he still had the original wood one hanging on a nail in another barn, which turned out to be the only other piece of the truck that he had left, aside from all the tire chains and two extra tires and wheels. I plan on mounting the wooden one when all is said and done, but now it's hanging on MY wall, all varnished and painted OD.

Round hatch, yes. Wouldn't have a replacement would you? I asked on this forum before but all I heard was crickets. For now, I'll be putting a new sheet of steel over the opening.

Cheers
Don
Old 21-05-05, 09:42
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Late Chev Steering Wheels & Paint

Quote:
Originally posted by S. Dafoe
1. Late model Chev wooden steering wheels - were they painted kahki or did they have a "wood" finish? I have seen numerous trucks restored with a wood finish but am wondering if that is because the wood wheels are so nice. My wheel appears to have remnants of kahki paint in the less used areas. Any help would be appreciated!
Stewart, there's a NOS Wood Steering Wheel CCKW, Chevy, DUKW, CMP (Item number: 6533942927) up for auction on eBay, seller says "the wood is painted Olive Drab and has some trace of the original bees wax covering".

Hope this helps,
Hanno
Attached Images

Old 21-05-05, 22:41

Default Strange don't know who seller is

Strange that somebody here in New Hampshire as a NOS CMP steering wheel and I don't know who it is. Guess I got to get out there again and start beating the bushes for CMPs parts closer to home.
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 22-05-05, 13:48
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Strange don't know who seller is

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil Waterman
Strange that somebody here in New Hampshire as a NOS CMP steering wheel and I don't know who it is.
Phil, the image is hosted on http://www.cckw.org/, maybe you could contact its webmaster Bill?

HTH,
Hanno
Old 28-10-05, 00:01
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Re: Late Chev Steering Wheels & Paint

It had to be relisted two times, but in the end it was sold for....US $325.00!

Quote:
NOS Wood Steering Wheel CCKW, Chevy, DUKW, CMP Brand new wood steering wheel never used. Item number: 6542247980
Sold for: US $325.00
Auction ended early with Buy It Now.
Ended: Jun-29-05 09:43:46 PDT
Start time: Jun-25-05 15:55:13 PDT
History: 1 bid (US $325.00 starting bid)
Buyer: jet5312 ( 28)

Item location: New Hampshire, United States

Seller information: sno-twister ( 2787)

Description
This auction is for an NOS Original WW2 GMC Military Wood Steering wheel.

This 18" wood wheel was original equipment on the Canadian CMP Military Vehicles and for the US Chevrolet M-6 Bomb Truck but will also bolt directly on to the US Military Chevrolet 1.5 ton truck, the GMC CCKW and DUKW vehicles.

The outer ring is made of wood and is bolted on to the inner frame. The wood is painted Olive Drab and has some trace of the original bees wax covering. There is some minor surface rust on the exposed steel spokes but should clean up easily. It does not look like it was ever installed. The wheel is in overall excellent shape considering it is almost 65 years old.

Note that this is an 18" wheel not the 20" wheel that originally came on the CCKW's and DUKW'S.
Attached Images

Old 28-10-05, 02:23
GM Fox I

Default Different wooden wheels

I'll add that there are two different Chev wooden steering wheels. This one (as most CCKW ones) has two piece spokes, with a rivet holding the centre section to the spoke sections that attach to the wood.

Canadian CMP ones are different in that the whole centre section is a one piece stamping right from the horn ring to the wood. The one on my '44 Chev even has a C broad arrow.

I can't say whether this is a manufacturing difference or if one is specfically CMP, the other CCKW.
Old 03-11-05, 18:56
T' Guns thank God t' guns

Default Hip (Ring) Replacement

Hi Don (and others in need of same):

Rob Clark has removed the hip ring on his HUP and is willing to allow me to have it copied by a metal smith in North Gower (South of Ottawa to those who don't live in th' Valley). I've spoken to a cabinet maker in the same place (both are contacts thru the volunteer fire service) who may be willing to steam the wooden parts if there is sufficient demand. I need three complete rings (steel and wood). If we can get an order for ten I think I can get them made up.

I'm up to my armpits right now (att posted to NS teaching on an international staff officer course) so if you are willing to drum up the ten orders (only six to go) I'll do the leg work in North Gower.

As for cost... I need 'em so I'll pay what it costs... in other words I have no idea what the bill will be.

Cheers! Mike
www.calnan.com/swords