MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 10-09-17, 23:15

Default Looking for Deepwater Fording and Wadeproofing CMPs

Hi All

With all of the flooding taking place was wondering about the Deep Water Fording and Wadeproofing intstructions for CMPs .

I've search a little and can only find this thread http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...ight=deepwater

There must have been detailed instructions does anybody have a copy they can share?

My C60S Pattern 13 had evidence of extensive waterproofing but was this for storage, wading, or full blown deepwater fording is unknown. Mine still had the hole into the bellhousing on the carb side sealed with cosmoline some kind of fabric. The distributors bottom side was similary covered, along with evidence that the dip stick had been sealed as well.

Today I did a study of the height above ground all of the wheel bearings, transmission, fan etc which once I get it compiled I'll share.

One thing is pretty clear given the choice of driving one of the family cars through 2-3 ft of water it will be the CMP I'll be driving.

Cheers Phil

PS No we are not in any of the recent the flood area but if our area ever got the 10+ inchs of rain the roads coming in would be flooded, we look down on the top of the flood control dam. One road way in is designed for it with a 200 yard wide dead level area at the stream crossing to allow water to go over the road in a wide thin sheet. Worst we have ever seen is 6 inchs deep. The other way out is down grade of the spillway and discharge from the dam and has been washed out a couple of times.
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 14-09-17, 21:54

Default What is the lowest componet that will stop the engine

Hi All

Been working away on understanding deep water or even shallow water fording in CMPs. Surprised that no one seems to have a full manual on this topic.

Started by doing some basic measurements on my Pat 12 C60L which I will share shortly once have them in a format to share. In going through and listing the various components, their height off the ground, susceptibility water entering and most important would water entry stop the truck in short order.

Was very surprised that the first two versions of this list I missed a big one that would stop the truck in fairly short order. Of the would stop the truck it was also the lowest being only 33 inches up.

Any guesses as to what it is?

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
Old 14-09-17, 22:24

Default waterproofing

I remember my uncle telling me that during the war, in preparation for D-day, he was assigned for many days to waterproof CMP's and Jeeps. He landed himself, I believe driving a CMP on the day after D-day. I recall him describing how disturbing it was to see all of the "debris" in the water as he went to shore.

I will see him in early October, and Ill ask if he remembers any of the details of the waterproofing procedures. He might remember some details, but the stories tend to move quickly through many memories once he starts, so I may not get a complete picture of the waterproofing steps.
Old 14-09-17, 22:33

I have a full stack of manuals, photos and instructions on preparing vehicles for fording. From the photos it seems to be all done in UK in preparation for D-Day. Keith Webb photographed a bit of my material a few years back but I will scan some originals for the forum.

I will pull them out and put some stuff up.

Seem to remember it involved bucket loads of linseed putty wrapped around everything that could get wet such as electrical, fuel vents etc.

Will follow up.

Lang
Old 14-09-17, 22:51

Default Photos on depths

Hi All

Started with Pat 12 because of these photo
079821.jpg
Shows the fairly steep launch down the ramp not something you would be doing with the same truck every day
094303.jpg
Probably fairly common operation driving through streams wading for the Pat 12 Fording for the Jeep.

0900009.jpg
Pat 13 the guys on the roof you got to wonder may have done this a time or two.

I suspect the first and last trucks pictured would get attention after landing, the truck crossing the stream oh just another stream and on with the job.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
Old 14-09-17, 22:57

The guy standing in the water giving directions, in the last photo seems to be quite "comfortable" with things too!
Old 15-09-17, 23:23

Default Deep - Deep water fording

Hi All

I know that I started this thread to talk about CMP deep water fording but this one just has to be mentioned, as the recent storms were the stimulas for starting the thread.

Sorry Hanno I will mention and thread and the photo as a links as the forum it is on claims copy right protection that I will honor.

The thread is https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...ne-Rescue-Help

The captions sayes it ran like this for five hours.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP