MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 05-04-04, 20:45
Vets Dottir

Default Winnipeg Plaques RWR / P.P.C.L.I.

Hi.

I went in to Winnipeg City Hall at 310 Main St. and was VERY pleased to notice that a pillar outside the entrance has 2 plaques commemorating

1) Royal Winnipeg Rifles
2) P.P.C.L.I.

A couple of years ago I might have noticed them but they certainly wouldn't hav had such personal meaningfulness, as they do now, to me. (Remember my Uncle Rifleman Edward Smith of the RWR and my father Sargeant J.H. Jonasson of the P.P.C.L.I., both from WW2.

Unfortunately I couldn't stay long enough to write down what was on the Plaques to post for you-all,but nexttime I'm that way, I'll make a point of it so I can post in here.

Aargh... SO much History, SO little time!

Carman
Old 23-04-04, 08:56

I was at Kapyong Bks in Wpg in the early 90's for a 2 PPCLI change of comd pde, and I had some time to spare, so I wanted to find Valour Road, and I did.

There was a nearby McDonalds, so I got a take-away, and parked on Valour Road, and had my feed.

I can remember a small NFB viginette (sp) about all the three lads who were awarded the VC coming from the same neighbourhood. A few minutes long colour production, and it used to play every November on the TV. I hope it still does.

That is such a good story, and one of the best I have ever seen/read, and although I am 20,000km from my place of birth, it still makes on feel proud to be Canadian.

Regards,

Wes
Old 24-04-04, 20:52
Vets Dottir

Default Film

Quote:
Originally posted by RAEMETIFFYSGT
I was at Kapyong Bks in Wpg in the early 90's for a 2 PPCLI change of comd pde, and I had some time to spare, so I wanted to find Valour Road, and I did.

There was a nearby McDonalds, so I got a take-away, and parked on Valour Road, and had my feed.

I can remember a small NFB viginette (sp) about all the three lads who were awarded the VC coming from the same neighbourhood. A few minutes long colour production, and it used to play every November on the TV. I hope it still does.

That is such a good story, and one of the best I have ever seen/read, and although I am 20,000km from my place of birth, it still makes on feel proud to be Canadian.

Regards,

Wes
Hi Wes,

I don't remember ever seeing that film. Do you remember the name of that little "vignette" ?

I'm glad your Canadian roots go deep in your heart In Windy-Peg popl don't waste time brushing their hair because the wind is non-stop in Spring! Bad-Hair season and
Scattering of seeds (and garbage... but the street cleaners have finally started sweeping up the sands and stuff thats left after winter thaw.

Take care,

Carman aka Karmen aka Yappy etc
Old 24-04-04, 21:45
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re Valour Road

VD,

It was a television commercial of about 30 seconds' duration, but moving in the extreme. I remember it well, along with the one about the telegraph operator in the Halifax explosion.

Both were surprisingly great, but niether touched me the way that old Bell canada commercial did... the one with the young fellow calling his grandpa from Dieppe to say... "Thanks".

G.
Old 24-04-04, 23:49
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re Valour Road

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
VD,

It was a television commercial of about 30 seconds' duration, but moving in the extreme. I remember it well, along with the one about the telegraph operator in the Halifax explosion.

Both were surprisingly great, but niether touched me the way that old Bell canada commercial did... the one with the young fellow calling his grandpa from Dieppe to say... "Thanks".

G.
A commercial. Wow. If its a given to run it every Remembrance Day for years then I MUST have seen it ... the call from Dieppe to thank grandpa sounds familiar. That poignant call would certainly bring tears to a many eyes. Ah.

Regards the Halifax Explosion. I saw a TV movie about it a few months back. Amazing story.

K.