MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 24-04-04, 04:04

Default The Motorcycle Thread

Greetings,

Just wondering why there isn't a forum for motorcyles??

Mike
Old 24-04-04, 05:07
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Hmmmm...

Although I have owned and ridden motorcycles since 1970, this is a Canadian & Commonwealth military history site. That would be the simple explanation.

If you're referring to WW2 MILITARY motorcycles, please feel free to bring up the topic in the SOFTSKIN forum. If postwar MILITARY motorcycles, you may use the POST WAR forum.

Thanks for your interest.
Old 24-04-04, 16:30

Greetings,

Yes, I was referring to WW2.
I have a Norton and BSA and as you know there is little if any help in the restoration of these.

Mike
Old 24-04-04, 17:15

Default Go for it!

By all means, post your pics, questions and comments in the Softskin Forum! At least one of us has a father who rode motorcycles through WW2, and if you're nice to him, I'm sure he'd be delighted to post the famous picture again...

Feel free to start an motorcycle thread anytime.

Old 24-04-04, 17:56
In Vino Veritas

Default Re: Hmmmm...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
[B]Although I have owned and ridden motorcycles since 1970,

Really?! Me too, though t was a Honda 50cc minibike at that time, I've a RC51 1000 I'm riding now though a WWII thumper would make my day. I can get from one end of town to the other in First gear in 3 minutes....have to stop twice you know.
Sean
Old 24-04-04, 19:31

Default Motorcycles

Hell, we'll start with this one, at least for non-military stuff and general discussion. We can always start a military motorcycle thread in one of the vehicle forums!

Sean... my first ride ever was a 1966 Suzuki X-6 belonging to a friend of mine. I remember getting up to the ton at one point. I was hooked...

Won't go into everything I've owned and/or ridden, but my pride in the early seventies was a Zundapp GS125 I rode in enduros. Now I own a 1978 Yamaha 500 single, which I bought in 1985, stripped to the bare frame, and rebuilt in my image. Put it up beside a stocker and you wouldn't recognize the two were the same....

It needs another rebuild now, but bits are still available. Strip to the bare frame again, then strip the engine for seals, bearings, a new piston and ring set, and a valve job (need hardened valve seats now for this shitty gas). I'll live with my 3/4 cam, 38mm Mikuni, custom oil feed/cooling system, Supertrapp exhaust, custom-made rearsets, yadeyadeyade. You get the picture! I'm particularly proud of the homemade bracketry for my modifed Rickman half-fairing.

The whole package weighs in about 325lbs, and on mountain roads, I can take anything. It'll rev 1000 rpm over redline, but the big bikes will clean me on straights.. and I don't care! I can still bust the ton, and it tracks beautifully.

As you might have gathered, I like the older stuff. I'd still like to find either another Zundapp or a 1975/76 Husky 250 WR. Miss the dirt!
Old 24-04-04, 20:15
In Vino Veritas

Default RD350...

...Yammies are a hoot, they migrated into the RZ350 and RZ500's. I raced a used RD350 at Gimili years ago, after the YZ125 dirt racing years of course. The RD would corner like a thought but as I got TALLER : I needed a litre bike to get the same kick in the pants. Would have kept my GSXR 1100 bug light bike but someone stole it ( may their rotting corpses be picked bare by ravens after some painful illness ) . The RC51 is so powerful is scares the crap out of me, seriously. Might actually have to find a RZ500 two stroker, smoke, noise, speed....cooool
That 500 single must thump pretty good thumpa thumpa thumpa.
Sean
Buddy of mine had a Husking Fuskie, solid bike man, especially considering it only weighed 8 or 900 pounds....
M38CDN 1952
Other stuff
Old 24-04-04, 22:41
Commonwealth NOT Europe

Default M/cycles for the REAL rider

I thought that at least Canada would have upheld their end of the traditional motorcycle market.
Honda, Yamaha, Kwakizaki, Suzuki - sound like the sort of noises you make after 10 pints of best bitter with cider chasers. Is it true they run on rice extract instead of petrol?

I had a motorcycle as full time transport for many years, only passed my car test when the kids came along. Passed my 'bike test on a Harley Davidson (Aermachi) 2-stroke, had a japcrap for a couple of months ( 95mph into a ditch trying to follow a 20-year old Norton round a bend!) Triumph Bonneville, then a Norton single-cylinder cafe-racer. No electric starts or overhead whatsits, the Norton even still had a decompression lever so that you could start it without breaking your ankle!; as a jap-loving friend found out when he nearly castrated himself on the steering damper, in this case a 2 1/2" wide wing-nut............change a head-gasket by the side of the road in 15 minutes with just a 9/16 whitworth spanner.......
and of course the help of a couple of LOL
With a high-compression head fitted the smell of Castrol-R in the nostrils....

A wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age!! (Meatloaf)
Old 24-04-04, 23:06

Default Re: M/cycles for the REAL rider

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveCox
I thought that at least Canada would have upheld their end of the traditional motorcycle market...
My best bud STILL has a running 1969 Triumph Tiger 500 twin, so shut up. When we ride, we ride together, in past for a week at a time (haven't done it since he's had his rug-rat).

He also has an early seventies Trident 750 (the original green-tank one), albeit in boxes at the present time. Pretty much ready for assembly, though.

BTW, I got my driver's license on a 1957 Morris Minor, and my first ever car was a 1959 Austin-Healey Sprite.

I built my Yamaha as the ultimate evolution of the old BSA 441. It was a gesture of respect...
Old 24-04-04, 23:40

Default Re: Re: M/cycles for the REAL rider

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
I built my Yamaha as the ultimate evolution of the old BSA 441. It was a gesture of respect...
Geoff,
Now you're talking, BSA, my all time favourites. Bought a B50, new in '73, what a machine, oil in frame, lighter than a 441, that was the true evolution. Also had a couple of B40 ex- military machines built up as trail bikes and a B25 Gold Star, good for 95 mph. Then there is my WM20, the 1941 warhorse..............

Richard
Old 25-04-04, 09:14
Commonwealth NOT Europe

Default Ooops

Sorry Geoff.
I seem to have touched a nerve with my last post, and never considered Yammy's big one-lunger as an evolution of BSAs unit construction Goldie.
Getting onto Goldies brings back memories of my friend's racing DBD34s, and from there to the time I ran my Norton on public roads with an oversized Amal and open megga exhaust.
Also a Trifield - Triumph 350 twin in a Royal Enfield Crusader chassis.......

The things we did in our mispent youth...... deliberately riding close to mods on their scooters and then cracking the throttle so that we could see if they would fall off.....

Again - appologies if I falsely accused you of being overfond of rice-burners.

A wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age!! (Meatloaf)
Old 25-04-04, 10:21
RIP

Default Re: Go for it!

Quote:
By all means, post your pics, questions and comments in the Softskin Forum! At least one of us has a father who rode motorcycles through WW2, and if you're nice to him, I'm sure he'd be delighted to post the famous picture again...

Feel free to start an motorcycle thread anytime.

Hey Binnington-Wall.I'm the only one on the MLU Forum who has a dad sitting on a motorcycle during the war whose photo has been recorded on the forum.As far as any input on bikes,have no clue.He wouldn't sign for me getting a motorcyccle when I was a teenager.Hell,I don't even know what type of bike he was sitting on,in the photo.Have a good beer evening old friend.
Old 25-04-04, 13:29
Member since 1998

Default re Motor bike forums

There are other forums around that deal with WW2 motorcycles such as BSA WM20's and others. I use to visit one forum site on BSA WM20's but the topics and self-appointed experts ruined it for me. You don't put jap carbys or clutches on a BSA just to make it go better, you ruin it. If you want a pussy bike buy a jap one
I owned a 42 BSA WM20 for over 20 years and it was a great bike, not flash or fast, but it always made me smile when riding it around. To me, that's what it was all about.
Old 25-04-04, 16:40

Default Re: Ooops

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveCox
Sorry Geoff.
I seem to have touched a nerve with my last post, and never considered Yammy's big one-lunger as an evolution of BSAs unit construction Goldie.
Getting onto Goldies brings back memories of my friend's racing DBD34s, and from there to the time I ran my Norton on public roads with an oversized Amal and open megga exhaust.
Also a Trifield - Triumph 350 twin in a Royal Enfield Crusader chassis.......

The things we did in our mispent youth...... deliberately riding close to mods on their scooters and then cracking the throttle so that we could see if they would fall off.....

Again - appologies if I falsely accused you of being overfond of rice-burners.
Dave,

No apologies necessary! Here, have one of these and one of these on me. I have no love for rice rockets either... as a matter of fact, if someone were to give one to me, I'd only ride it as far as it took to ensure it actually worked, then sell it! Then I'd probably buy an older Ducati 750SS, or perhaps a 1973 BMW 750 (the flame orange one), after, of course, I found my Husky. Oh yeah, I'd also be in the market for a mid-seventies Montesa 250 Trials bike... and of course always on the lookout for restored WW2 bikes. Geez, the list goes on...
Old 25-04-04, 16:43

Default Re: Re: Go for it!

Quote:
Originally posted by Garry Shipton
Hey Binnington-Wall.I'm the only one on the MLU Forum who has a dad sitting on a motorcycle during the war whose photo has been recorded on the forum.As far as any input on bikes,have no clue.He wouldn't sign for me getting a motorcyccle when I was a teenager.Hell,I don't even know what type of bike he was sitting on,in the photo.Have a good beer evening old friend.

Hey Mr. Sharry Gipton!

Could you repost that pic of your dad here, for the record? We can ID the bike for you...
Old 25-04-04, 17:07

Default Re: Dave

I should add that older bikes - I'm talking 50s through 70s, British and otherwise - are getting harder and harder to find over here. I don't know where they're all hidden! I can tell you In the early seventies, we used to go to motocross events to watch the BSA 441s race against Rickman Triumphs... amazing.

One of these years I have to get over to the Isle of Man for their antique bike race.

PS: Although they're totally politically incorrect now, I LOVE the sound and smell of high-performance two-strokes!
Old 25-04-04, 17:10
RIP

Default Mr.Hanno has posted the photo

Sorry,don't have the means to post it.Maybe Hanno can repost it
Regards
Old 25-04-04, 17:56
In Vino Veritas

Default Yadda Yadda RICE ROCKETS boo

Hey , you hit the starter you go ride, its pretty much that simple. I would love a stable full of all sorts of bikes, Harley's flat tracker and Cafe`racer , My Buddies Triumph Bonneville ( though he drives a CX650 Honda daily and has a early 70's 650 Yamaha he completely rebuilt to represent a cafe racer of the era ) , Big Norton Commando , Indian Scout, WLC, Zundapp 750, a bunch of BMW's , the one with the powered sidecar....but reality is if you need if for reliable cheap transport it had to be a Jap bike. Even the new Triumphs are considerablely more than comparable Jap stuff, and don't even talk about Harley, Buell or KTM...
Here is a bike even CMP lovers will have to bow to.... http://www.honestcharley.com/V860.htm

Sean

Ps. I've had many Harley guys oow and aw over my racers, cause they appreciate a well built/designed bike, they just don't like knock offs, either do I. If you love bikes I'd ride with ya, I'm not fussy.
M38CDN 1952
Other stuff

Last edited by Snowtractor; 25-04-04 at 18:23.
Old 25-04-04, 18:08

Default Re: Mr.Hanno has posted the photo

Quote:
Regards
If you have it, send it to me! I can do it.
Old 25-04-04, 21:37
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Mr.Hanno has posted the photo

Quote:
Regards
Garry;

This is the picture, isn't it.

Sorry Hanno, Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
3a.jpg  
Old 26-04-04, 00:12
RIP

Default That's him

Thanks Mark.By the way motorcycle guys,what kind of bike is it??
Old 30-04-04, 00:10
Richard Notton

Default Re: Re: Dave

Quote:

One of these years I have to get over to the Isle of Man for their antique bike race.

OH! Didn't know you're into that classic racing stuff. My nephew seems to be quite reasonable at it, well, someone gives him a bike to race.

Try plugging Luke Notton into Google Geoff.

R.