MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 25-05-04, 04:44
Vets Dottir

Question Deisel Vehicles run with Veggie Oil

Interesting story. My question is what this oil would do to the vehicle?

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/sto...0726576860.htm

Don't toss out your used cooking oil: Hmmm ... what do you all think?

Yappy
Old 25-05-04, 06:18
Art Johnson

Default Art Johnson

Hey Carman how in the world did you get into this subject? Canada was a leader in using vegetable oil for I/C engines during WW II. Much of the research came from the National Research Council. They produced an oil pan plug which had a chemical coating on it that led to the modern oils we have now. After the war you could by these plugs in Canadian Tire.
Old 25-05-04, 06:26
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Art Johnson

Quote:
Originally posted by Art Johnson
Hey Carman how in the world did you get into this subject? Canada was a leader in using vegetable oil for I/C engines during WW II. Much of the research came from the National Research Council. They produced an oil pan plug which had a chemical coating on it that led to the modern oils we have now. After the war you could by these plugs in Canadian Tire.
Hi Art ... ... it was a headline news story online today and I just thought, "HUH? Is this for REAL?". I guess I really HAVE been in the closet a lot, cause I've NEVER heard of veggie oil for fuel but I see the idea has been around and actully used for a long time. GO CANADA!

Amazing what we don't know even after 50 years! I've only had my licence about 6 years and haven't had a vehicle for th last 3 so don't pay much attention to vehicle type news.

Art... I hope you're well and enjoying being back in Canada

Carman
Old 25-05-04, 08:49
Richard Notton

Default Re: Deisel Vehicles run with Veggie Oil

Quote:
Originally posted by V_D
Interesting story. My question is what this oil would do to the vehicle?
Karmen, I have to get a tad serious and technical for once

We've been doing bio-diesel for ages here where an imperial gallon costs $9.43 Canadian.

When Rudolf Diesel first came up with the idea of a compression ignition engine, where the compressing of just air in the cylinder was enough to ignite the injected fuel, he wasn't thinking of fuel oil at all like we have today. He used a waste product that was stockpiling by the millions of tons, coal dust. The essence of the engine was to consume this free fuel at the time; he used a HP air injection system back then but the ash produced by coal dust wrecked the engine quite quickly.

In fact many innocuous things will explode quite well if vaporised either by heat or mechanically, the injectors of a diesel engine do this by spraying the fuel through apertures measured in microns using tens of thousands of pounds pressure to do so. The spray is actually like fog being so fine.

This allows every miniscule drop of fuel to be surrounded by air and therefore burn. Almost all oils will therefore burn quite happily when atomised like this, indeed, try cooking flour; just a good pinch in a short cardboard tube (plain or self-raising), like a toilet roll tube, and puff a SMALL cloud into the air. Light it with your Zippo and beware it will go off with a quite violent woomph.

Flour mills have to take extreme caution about ignition sources and there have been serious explosions demolishing the complete buildings in the past.

Over here it is common knowledge that old cooking oil, allowed to settle, filtered and treated with a few percent of a catalyst like turps substitute, makes perfect diesel fuel. In some areas people clearing the shelves of supermarkets have caused so much hassle to the stocking systems that they limit people to 2 litres each.

Having made the oil here, we have to tell the authorities its to be used as a road fuel and pay the miniscule taxes to make it wholly legal, but with fuel taxes at some 85% of the total price you can bet the loophole will be closed soon.

South Africa grew most of its diesel fuel during the days of sanctions, it doesn't take many acres of sun flowers to make enough oil to run your Land Rover for a year, try a Google search for bio-diesel, there's heaps of info on it.

Maybe, I'll wake Ball-Spinnington, or maybe we'll enjoy the peace and quiet. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

R.
Old 25-05-04, 09:09
Vets Dottir

Talking Re: Re: Deisel Vehicles run with Veggie Oil

Quote:
Originally posted by FV623
Karmen, I have to get a tad serious and technical for once

Maybe, I'll wake Ball-Spinnington, or maybe we'll enjoy the peace and quiet. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

R.

Wow... I thanks for the Deisel-Veg 101 ... I feel stupid EEK ... I'll read it a few times and do some searching. Just got off the phone with my youngest after listening to and doing round-and-round pros and cons about some life decisions... am quite spinny myself right now (doesn't take much to spin my little neurotransmitters anyways. SHUT UP MARKO and SUNRAY! )

SOOOOOOO... the SUNRAY is NOISY and DISRUPTIVE is he? a motor mouth is he? Have you thought of duct tape with a little hole for a straw so he can still drink beer and smoke ... but quietly? Take pictures!

Seriously though ... thanks for going all serious on me, for a change :P Interesting stuff.

Karmen
Old 25-05-04, 10:14
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Re: Deisel Vehicles run with Veggie Oil

Quote:
Originally posted by FV623
Having made the oil here, we have to tell the authorities its to be used as a road fuel and pay the miniscule taxes to make it wholly legal, but with fuel taxes at some 85% of the total price you can bet the loophole will be closed soon.
Karmen, coincidentally, there was a feature on this subject on Dutch television last night. Although the EU has made it mandatory to have 2% of the vehicles running on renewable fuel sources, our government is not taking any concrete steps to realise this. They are afraid of loosing the huge excises charged on fossil fuels. But I believe private initiative will soon force them to take action, because in countries around us like Germany things are speeding up. The TV programme interviewed a Dutch entrepreneur who has now contracted farmers to grow rape seed, and he is having a mill converted to press the oil while other entrepreneurs are selling conversion kits for diesel-engined cars (like http://www.greasecar.com/).

Art, I did not know Canada was a leader in using vegetable oil for I/C engines during WW II. You mean the lubricating oil, don't you?
Over here farmers have to use bio-degradable oil here in their farm equipment to minimise soil pollution. Next step would be to have their tractors run on rape seed oil, use the remaining matter as cattle feed so they are truly self-sustaining. Before you know it countries like Holland could be members of OPEC!

H.
Old 25-05-04, 11:17
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Re: Deisel Vehicles run with Veggie Oil

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra
Karmen, coincidentally, there was a feature on this subject on Dutch television last night.

H.
Thanks Hanno... and long time no hello

I think you guys have all forced me into another little learning curve here God the internet is great!

Tired Yappy
Old 25-05-04, 17:00
Art Johnson

Default vegetable oil

Yes Hanno it was for lubrication purposes. The RCAF also recycled the used oil from engines on their bases during WW II by filtering it and adding chemicals to the filtered oil so I've been told. Oh and by the way we don't call it Rape Seed in Canada any more, it's Canola, another victory for those of the PC persuasion.
Old 26-05-04, 13:50
MLU Administrator

Default Re: vegetable oil

Thanks Art, I guess in times of shortages resourcefulness knows no boundaries.

Quote:
Originally posted by Art Johnson
Oh and by the way we don't call it Rape Seed in Canada any more, it's Canola, another victory for those of the PC persuasion.
Miss Yappy, maybe you can tell us: do you know any woman who is offended by this inappropriate reference to vegetable oil?
Old 26-05-04, 14:05
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: vegetable oil

Quote:
Miss Yappy, maybe you can tell us: do you know any woman who is offended by this inappropriate reference to vegetable oil?
Only militant feminists, one of which I'm NOT! I'm all for equality based on actual capability, and am more of a practical realist and to get knickers in a knot over the real name of a seed that was probably named before "kill all men militant "male chauvenistic pig hating" Amazon women" got nit picking and ridiculous, is ridiculous in my mind!

(Do they think the rape seed was named after rape just to get their knickers in a knot?

Gawwwwwwd. Hanno ... you TEST me!
Old 26-05-04, 14:39
MLU Administrator

Default Re: knickers in a knot

Quote:
Originally posted by V_D
Gawwwwwwd. Hanno ... you TEST me!
I know ... it is tough job for a woman hanging out with men

Old 26-05-04, 15:33
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: knickers in a knot

Quote:
I know ... it is tough job for a woman hanging out with men

Ah well... who ever said life would be perfect?

Old 26-05-04, 22:27
In Vino Veritas

Default Biomass

http://www.freenet.edmonton.ab.ca/se...AL/BIOMASS.HTM

links to biomass conversion
M38CDN 1952
Other stuff