MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 27-05-04, 13:26
Commonwealth NOT Europe

Default US Oil

I found this amusing, sent to us by a friend in the 'States:

"A lot of folks can't understand how we came to have an oil shortage here in America.

Well, there's a very simple answer......Nobody bothered to check the oil. We just didn't know we were getting low.

The reason for that is purely geographical. Our oil is in Alaska, Texas, California, and Oklahoma.

Our dipsticks are in Washington DC"

A wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age!! (Meatloaf)
Old 27-05-04, 23:16
In Vino Veritas

Default Also...

...they didn't have an oil pressure gauge, just one of those damn idiot lights...
M38CDN 1952
Other stuff
Old 28-05-04, 00:24
Dog Robber

Guys and Girls:

The truth is even screwier than the fiction.

Because of environmental concerns, we have not built a new refinery in this country in the last 25 years. Could be wrong, but I think our consumption of gasoline has "rather" expanded over that time period.

This problem is further exacerbated by the fact that we, again due to environmental regulations, have a situation where we have "botique blends" of gasoline to suit the particular problems of a number of our cities or slightly larger geographic areas.
I cannot find the link just now to a site that catalogs those blends but I believe it is either 17 or 27 totally unique blends of gasoline that our refineries either have to produce or procure to satisfy the various environmental agencies.

I live in the Atlanta, Georgia area and we have a several county area that requires our own specific "botique blend" of fuel. Actually, there are two flavors, the winter blend and the rest of the year blend.

While this has nothing to do with the MLU stuff, I live about 5 miles from the edge of this "endangered area". I happen to like performance in my daily driver vehicle and I have done a number of modifications (performance chip, performance exhaust, performance intake system) that requires that I need the best gasoline I can get. So, I drive the 10 mile round trip for a fillup to get the non "botique" gasoline. Bear in mind here that I have to pass an annual emissions test and my vehicle passes at about a rate of 10% of the allowable nasty stuff every time.

And you Canadians and Brits thought you had a monopoly on crazy politicians. Not............
Bill