MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 12-05-04, 07:54
Vets Dottir

Question Why your passion for CMP's?

I'd love to hear your stories about this

Why are you so passionate about CMP's and such, and when/how did you get interested/started to begin with?

Carman/Karmen
Old 12-05-04, 08:05
Commonwealth NOT Europe

Default re. CMP

Hi Carmen,

As a modeller I think it's that there are few types of truck that had so many different body patterns, and were used by almost (maybe every) Allied nation during WW2. This means that I have almost endless scope for making a lot of the parts, loads of research etc. to do; so my hobby for the last 40years keeps going and I certainly won't run short of subjects.
And, as Chrissie says, they have such a pug-ugly face, kinda cute for a truck!

A wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age!! (Meatloaf)
Old 12-05-04, 09:06
Vets Dottir

Default Re: re. CMP

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveCox
Hi Carmen,

As a modeller I think it's that there are few types of truck that had so many different body patterns, and were used by almost (maybe every) Allied nation during WW2. This means that I have almost endless scope for making a lot of the parts, loads of research etc. to do; so my hobby for the last 40years keeps going and I certainly won't run short of subjects.
And, as Chrissie says, they have such a pug-ugly face, kinda cute for a truck!
Thanks a lot Dave 40 years means its more than a Hobby ...its definately a passion huh? Interesting stuff. This thread will help me understand all you guy's-es obsessions with these metal creatures and all their parts. They do sort of grow on you

I love Chrissy's comments Pug-Ugly ...

BTW ... last year in Nelson I started seeing TWO brand new "trucks" around town that were made to look like old army vehicles/trucks. They were huge and Pug-Ugly. I thought the Army had come to town!

Carman
Old 12-05-04, 11:26
RIP

Default CMP Passion

Hi Kartmann

CMPs are immortal, just as are Dakota DC3s, Jeeps, VWs, Mini Minors and any other vehicle that has transcended the ages.

Bob - a Transexual Male
Old 12-05-04, 20:09
Vets Dottir

Default Re: CMP Passion

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Moseley
Hi Kartmann

CMPs are immortal, just as are Dakota DC3s, Jeeps, VWs, Mini Minors and any other vehicle that has transcended the ages.

Bob - a Transexual Male
Ooopsie? Didn't you mean to say "Tranny-Sexual" Male? (I like Austin Healeys )
Old 12-05-04, 23:05
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Default OD Addiction

Carmen, to answer your question. My interest in all things military started at the young age of about 5 years. I spent many a weekend with my grandmother who's son (my uncle) lived with. He was a very active modeller as well as a army reservist. I used to spend hours building kits and if I was lucky enough to stay up real late I'd get to watch the old war movies with my uncle.
As I got a little bit older, my uncle was employed by the shop that was contracted to do much of the work on the Dr Bill Gregg collection. The odd time I'd get a sneak peak at what was being restored.
My fascination with military vehicles continued into my teens, and as most teens, lots of dreams and no money.
Into my twenties, an actual decent job and the search began for my first vehicle. I managed to stumble across a 12 cab cmp and the rest is history. I guess at the time it could have easily been a jeep, deuce etc but following the advice of some collectors, I pursued the cmp, afterall what a better tribute than to stick with Canadian manufactured vehicles.
I have had numerous types of mvs over the past 7 or 8 years but always am a sucker for the cmp.
Turning 33 next week and going strong, hope my interest continues for many more years to come. If I were a bit older, maybe I could have got into the hobby when cmps were much more plentiful and nobody wanted them!
Old 14-05-04, 07:08
Vets Dottir

Default Re: OD Addiction

Quote:
Originally posted by chris vickery
Turning 33 next week and going strong, hope my interest continues for many more years to come. If I were a bit older, maybe I could have got into the hobby when cmps were much more plentiful and nobody wanted them!
Wonderful story Chris ... thanks for sharing it! I love hearing all about how people first started and got hooked Its great to hear stories about the passion being handed down in a family, and so on.

I especially like your little comment at the end about had you been a bit older ... you would have quite the collection for sure, I'll bet. Too much competition these days, and thems thats gots ain't parting with 'em??? But they sure like to give you a ride and show them off hey? Cool! The old hoarders will have to be nice and leave them to younger folks with a passion for them too when they kick the bucket??? No? Yes?

Well ... I'm ready for another coffee and a ciggie. All this typing!... Lappy Yappy Carman

(thanks for the coffee Keefy I needeed that!I'm blissed ... stories, ciggies and coffe!)
Attached Images