MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 13-05-04, 01:13
Dog Robber

Default Internet Access outside USA/CDN

This is not the proper forum to ask the question, perhaps, but most of the folk I interact with tend to reside here.

Some years (3-4) ago, it was my understanding that Internet users outside of of the US and Canada had to pay normal "long distance" charges when connecting to the Internet.

At present, here, we pay for an ISP, AOL in my case, about $40 per month. I have phone DSL which costs I think about an additional $40 per month and that gives me pretty good high speed access when it comes to uploading or downloading large files.

That allows me, and I think my Canadian friends, unlimited access to whatever country we wish in terms of accessing Web Sites both from the sending and receiving end of things. At, a flat monthly rate.

The reason I ask the question is that once I get my computer gremlins fixed, I could send many dozens of photos out either through this forum or through e-mail and I do not want to cause a problem for anyone who has to, so to say, pay for each transmission more or less like a lot of cell phone programs.

Hopefully, I am dead wrong, it is a legitimate concern though and I would like to hear from some of my friends on the question.l
Bill
Old 13-05-04, 01:48

Bill here in Australia we have the same system as you. We pay a monthly flat fee if on broadband or a flat monthly fee plus a local call charge if we have dial up and this fee only applies once per session on the net. so if you hook up once a day you only have one local call charge added per day. The only extra fees' you would pay for downloading (or uploading) Photos would be if you have reached your maximum MB limit for that month.

That is unless you have unlimited time and up/down loads like me.
Old 13-05-04, 01:56
3RD ECHELON WKSP

here in Canada Hi-Speed internet through cable is about $49 a month, unlimited.
Old 13-05-04, 05:46
In Vino Veritas

Default Rural areas...

....is where the trouble lies. If you do not have a local internet provider then you woulld have to pay long distance charges on top of service charges. We have high speed cable and wireless in our small town, but they just go to our local provider and his servers just send it in to the phone line to get out of town so it is a fraction of the speed of highspeed in an urban setting. For high speed its 80 bucks and taxes per month for dialup its 30 bucks and taxes , what I have.
Sean
M38CDN 1952
Other stuff
Old 13-05-04, 08:14
former Resident Historian

Default BB

Here, British Telecom finally got round to installing Broadband in our little village last year. It's about £25 per month I think, all-in.
Old 13-05-04, 09:58
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Internet Access outside USA/CDN

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Murray
Some years (3-4) ago, it was my understanding that Internet users outside of of the US and Canada had to pay normal "long distance" charges when connecting to the Internet.
Yes, in the beginning we did have to dial in "long distance", but with a different telcom market here the price difference between a local and "long distance" call is much smaller than in the US. Internet providers quickly followed with local dial in access, and now offer special internet dial-in phone numbers which set you back € 0,48 - € 1,30/min, depending on the time and type of day.

ADSL is the latest hype here, I have just signed up for unlimited data transfer (downstream 512 kbps/upstream 256 kbps) for € 24,95 (US$ 29.57, CDN$ 41.21, £ 16.76)/month. Still need to install the wireless network, so hold your horses with those pics for a little while, please

H.
Old 13-05-04, 19:56

Default $50 equivalent a month...

... buys me a half Mb per second permanent cable connection, plus basic cable TV and cable phone rental. All I pay on top of that is the actual call charges for the phone.

I did recently cut down the speed of the cable connection as i just wasn't using the capacity, but it sure beats dialup

Gordon
Old 13-05-04, 21:43
Richard Notton

Default 25 quid a month

Gets me ADSL unlimited access, great back-up from Demon and guaranteed 520kbps down and 250kbps up; the down link always reports 576kbps.

It cheaper than dial-up for me when the ISP was 11.75/month and BT another 15/month for evenings and weekend free connection, but still tied up the phone though.

ADSL is stunning by comparison to dial-up although you often are held up by the server at the far end.

R.