MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 14-02-07, 06:10
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default BTT

As per my previous. This thread is what brought you here, and this is what shall take you there.

Old 27-03-07, 23:27
Vets Dottir 2nd

Hi Folks,

Was browsing the classifieds area of the July/August 2006 Legion Magazine just now and came across an interesting ad under the "requests" ads.

Quote:

Witness accounts and photos wanted from Cdn. units who had members murdered by the SS during WW11. For publication in French Regt. (40e RANA) magazine. Jean Penet, 25 Rue de Calitcho, Socoa 64122, Urrugne, France.

Unquote.

Karmen
Old 07-04-07, 08:32
Vets Dottir 2nd

Hello Folks,

Tonight (this early a.m. ) I'm browsing Archivianet again and there is a new section "Faces of War" which I believe has been mentioned in MLU before, but I emntion it again ... http://www.collectionscanada.ca/arch...s/index-e.html

I HOPE that I'm not doping something wrong by posting this photo (I love it of course ) that I just found there, and I'm also wondering if Mark had already posted this somewhere in here? : ... the link to the page is below:

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/arch...ls&interval=25
Rifleman F.C.S. Lloyd of The Royal Winnipeg Rifles standing beside the regiment’s sign “The Little Black Devils in the Woods” in the Reichswald, Germany, 19 March 1945. Grant, Donald I., Photographer

Mikan Number: 3203104

Karmen
Attached Thumbnails
archives rwr lbd in the woods.jpg  
Old 29-04-07, 22:44
Vets Dottir 2nd

Hello Folks,

In another forum I found a link for the Toronto Star "Pages from Our Past" section. I was pleased to see there is a free trial searching for 1945 and have been browsing some pages. I came across this story (below) by the Mother of one of the men who was executed with my Uncle and the others

Quote:
From Toronto Star, Saturday, Dec 15, 1945 – Front Page:

Hears Her twin Son Murdered By Nazi’s

Twin son of Mrs. Minnie Smith, Danforth Ave., Private Richard George Smith. 19, Winnipeg Rifles, is now reported to have been murdered by order of Gen. Kurt Meyer during the Invasion of Normandy.
“I follow the Kurt Meyer trial daily. But only the other day I was informed by Ottawa that Richard was among the victims.” Said Mrs. Smith. He enlisted in January, 1943, in the Q.O.R., transferring to the Winnipeg Rifles for the Normandy Invasion. He was reported missing June 8, 1944.
Here is the link for the papers "past" pages:

http://thestar.pagesofthepast.ca/Default.asp

Karmen
Old 02-05-07, 06:55
Vets Dottir 2nd

Hello All,

Just to mention that I've recently exchanged emails with a Gentleman who told me he recently visited Normandy and with Howard Margolian's "Conduct Unbecoming" in his hands, he located the field where my Uncle and the other Soldiers were executed ... and he told me that there is absolutely nothing marking the location or our Soldiers that were murdered there

I would like to see a memorial or plaque, something, there, as I'm sure the relatives of the others soldiers would like to see

The RWR has already "done" a Memorial at Audrieu ... who else can I (we? ) approach to get something in place? I'm considering contacting War Amps and Cliff Chatterton as a good person to talk to??? ... a good place to start?

Mark? What say you???

Karmen
Old 02-05-07, 22:23
Vets Dottir 2nd

By the way, Uncle Ed's photo (the MIA one that was in the newspaper) is at last uploaded to the Virtual Memorial site. I was hoping to have come across another photo of him to provide, but haven't been able to as yet.

Meanwhile, I'll be taking photos of some of the pages from his records and will submit them as well.

Just thought I'd mention this

Old 05-07-07, 22:17
Vets Dottir 2nd

Ah ... sad news I discovered today. I've been offline for a long time so didn't see this obituary until now. It's Albert (Abbie) Cook. He remembered Uncle Eddie but I wasn't able to visit Abbie and Lucille when I was back there, although I had talked with Lucille on the phone some time ago. Abbie could not talk because of strokes so she talked with me and talked with him, and relayed messages.

Abbie gave some witness reports about the missing (executed) soldiers in Normandy. I have copies of his comments in Uncle Ed's records. I'm really sad to know he's passed on.

Here is a copy of Abbie's obituary as written up in the Wpg Free Press passages (Rest in Peace now Abbie and thank you for everything.)

Quote:
ALBERT (ABBIE) E. COOK (COOKIE) It is with deep sadness we announce the passing of Abbie on June 3, 2007, with his entire family by his side. Abbie is survived by his wife of 57 years, Lucille; children, Buddy (Dawn), Linda (David), Patty (Manfred), Janie, and Marlene (Russell); grandchildren, Jimmy, Nikki, Megan, Brian, Lana, Jessica, Jordan, Shannon, Shane, Mandy, Ryan, Keri, Kyle, Justin, Chad, and Janelle; 13 great-grandchildren; brother Wilfred; sister May, and many nieces and nephews. He was predeceased by his son Jimmy; son-in-law Jerry; sister Marion, and brothers, Percy and Gordon. Abbie was born on January 28, 1920 and raised in Hogdson, Manitoba. He served with the Royal Winnipeg Rifles and was badly wounded in The Battle of Normandy. Abbie was recently awarded the chevalier de la Legion d'honneur, the highest national order given out by the French Government. Cookie, as he was fondly known, had an immense love for music that transcended all boundaries as Abbie composed and played for several years traveling to several senior homes receiving and giving great joy and happiness. Abbie was not one to sit idle, serving as past president of Selkirk Friendship Centre aiding in many charity drives, always ready to lend a hand. He loved to tinker endless hours in his garage. His love for his family was crystal clear and he took great joy in seeing his many children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren; we will miss you, and take solace in the fact we can reminisce on how you touched our lives. The family would like to thank the staff of the 4th Floor Tower, Deer Lodge Hospital for their kindness and care. A memorial service will be held on Wednesday, June 6 at 2:00 p.m. in the Gilbart Funeral Chapel, Selkirk with the Ven. Godfrey Mawejje officiating. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Siloam Mission, 300 Princess St., Winnipeg, MB R3B 9Z9. Gilbart Funeral Home, Selkirk in care of arrangements.
Carman
Attached Files
File Type: doc albert abbie cook rwr.doc (44.5 KB, 52 views)
Old 05-07-07, 22:38
Vets Dottir 2nd

Albert (Abbie) Cook ... Royal Winnipeg Rifles ... WW2
Attached Images

Old 11-08-07, 04:59
Gregory Pollard

Default Re: AUDRIEU Memorial

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets_Dottir
Hi.

I just searched for the `Audrieu Memorial'
online and found it...BUT

My Uncle's name is NOT listed on it.
I'm going to contact the Wpg Rifles Museum
to find out `WHY NOT?' :

From what I'm learning and understanding
he needs to be on that Memorial.
Hello Carmen,

It is nice to talk to someone with so much in common as myself. Our uncles being murder by the SS. I still have a hard time researching about my uncle. I get very emotional sometimes, can't help it.

I have been to Normandy three times now, with trip no. 4 in the works for Sept. 2008. On my last trip, I had the chance to visit the royal winnipeg Rifles Memorial in Audrieu. Your uncles name is there. I have a few photo of the memorial. I took a photo of the the back of the wall where the plaque was placed. This is where some of the men were shot. In one of the photos you can see a bullit hole in the wall. It was very emotional, to here some of the S.D.&G. Highlanders express their feelings after seeing where the men were shot.

If you visit Veteran Affairs Canada/ Canadian Virtual Memorial, you will see a photo of your uncle, the photo is a bit weak but you can still make out his features. Also there are documents about him. Use this hyprelink to view his information. http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/remembers/s...sualty=2060243

I hope this helps. If you want the photos I have you can send me an email and I will send them to you.

Bye for now,
Greg
Old 11-08-07, 05:41
Vets Dottir 2nd

Hi Gregory,

This whole (incredibly long) thread is incredible and goes into not just my Uncle but the other soldiers murdered in other spots around Normandy after D-Day, including the murders at the Abbey. Anyone I've talked to or who has contacted me to tell me about their own relative is pretty much the same story about how hard it is to learn about what happened and the particular details. Lots of blows, and lots of hard truths to swallow.

I don't know what info you've found out but this thread, especially at the beginning, talks about sources of more info ... like the Video that Waramps put out about the murders (you can get a copy for yourself) and the priceless book of details and sources for them called Conduct Unbecoming by Howard Margolian. I have both the video and the book.

Regards the photo of my Uncle, I uploaded that photo and it was the only one I had, A photograph of an actual newspaper clipping in the Winnipeg Free Press from when Uncle Ed was first listed as missing. Family calls the picture his "missing in action picture". The truth was a long time coming about what happened, for all the soldiers I guess. My uncle's group in particular I think as it was months before they were known about and found.

Some kind soul uploaded the pages from the records and photos of the headstones though I did too and did so for many if not all of the soldiers. The name of the guy responsible should be listed ... I know it is in my Uncle's memorial page and assume it is for the other soldiers as well.

If you've read through this thread you'll have noticed that Geoff, our webmaster and owner of MLU, went over to Normandy and payed a very special visit to my Uncle Ed's resting place for me and saluted him, layed a Canadian flag and a little memorial he made up for me to place there. I've never been to Normandy, but am glad you made it over. I can only imagine the emotional and psychological experience, and just the sacred energy of the place. Being there is powerful.

I do have a photo somewhere of the Audrieu with my Uncles name on it but would love to see the photo you took if you wanted to send it to me. I can give you my email address if you'd like, in a private message.

The bullet hole in the wall is ... wow ... physical eveidence stiill there to see, of the atrocities done.

I'm sorry you lost your Uncle, and more sorry for how he was lost. It wasn't right.

By the way, I will be posting more things to my Uncles memorial page, at some point. His age still needs correcting. He was 21, not the 25 they list.

Til next one,

Carman (look to you PM's for one from me with my email address
Old 09-11-07, 09:37
Vets Dottir 2nd

They shall grow not old, as we who are left grow old
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn
At the going down of the sun, and in the morning
We will remember them

Karmen
Old 07-04-08, 08:37
Vets Dottir 2nd

Call to families of the Executed POWS ...

Hello,

This lady, Celine Garbay, has got in touch with me through Geoff, and I have just contacted her back telling her I will help in whatever way I can, including getting in touch with other Executed Soldiers relatives who have contacted me in past and put them in touch with her. I decided to post her letter as she and the Museum would like contact from other family/relatives of other Executed POWS, so if you could please pass on this information and the contact details for Celine, I would really appreciate it. I would love to see this exhibit a reality!!! Who wouldn't?

I have emailed Celine that I've posted this

Thanks a lot folks,

Karmen

Quote:
Hello

I have been reading your on-line forum with great interest this afternoon and would like to get in touch with one of your members, Vets Dottir (Karman).

I work with the Canadian Battlefields Foundation and live in Normandy, in Le Mesnil Patry. I was contacted this morning by the curator of the museum at Tilly-sur-Seulles who would like to create a permanent exhibit in honour of the Canadian POWS executed by the 12th SS. He has specifically asked for help in finding documents and witness accounts relating to the murders, but also asked about finding the families of some of the victims. In his request he mentioned the victims of the Chateau d'Audrieu, but I cannot imagine that he would limit himself entirely to that one location.

Karman herself would have much to contribute thanks to your forum, and in one post she said that she had been contacted by other relatives of soldiers who had been murdered in June 1944. I'm sure the museum would appreciate information from as many of them as possible.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Very best regards

Céline GARBAY ( cngarbay @ hotmail . com) (remove spaces to email her)

Canadian Battlefields Foundation
vice-president (France)
Old 08-04-08, 05:30
Vets Dottir 2nd

PS: I also sent a copy of this to RWR Museum

:
Old 06-06-08, 15:00
Vets Dottir 2nd

Old 06-06-08, 16:21
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Nic Names....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vets Dottir 2nd View Post
Hi Stubby,,
Haven't chatted for a while..I was looking at your posting with the people at the museum and think(Only my opinion) that it would be much nicer and more professional if you used your God Given real name ,in communication with these other professionals..You have so many AKA's that half the time I'll bet you don't know what to sign off when you say your prayers at night..
You do have a real name and it is a nice name and who wants to go down in history as AKA.."Stubby"?
Rant over..
Carry On..
Worthy cause for sure..Go for it..

Old 24-04-23, 18:24

eBook: Juno Beach Invasion Survivor (3rd Edition), - published for the first time.
Price: $3.00 Can.

This book follows a three-day journey of a member of C Company, Royal Winnipeg Rifles (June 6 - 8, 1944). The story describes the experiences of Corporal E.T. Ketcheson (NCO) who narrowly avoided being a victim of two different Nazi war crimes (i.e., Haut-du-Bosq and Fontenay-Le- Pensnel). The Fontenay-Le-Pensnel case murders are the worst war crimes committed against soldiers in Canadian history.

Amazon site:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C2611DFL...al-text&sr=1-1
Old 24-04-23, 21:43

Default This is really waking up the deads.....some from MLU.....

....this posting going back to 2003...... what memories.......

How time flies......... I feel like the lucky few who managed to sneak by un-noticed by the Reaper!!!!!!
Canada
Old 10-06-23, 19:03

eBook: Juno Beach Invasion Survivor (3rd Edition), - published for the first time.
Price: $3.00 Can.

This book follows a three-day journey of a member of C Company, Royal Winnipeg Rifles (June 6 - 8, 1944). The story describes the experiences of Corporal E.T. Ketcheson (NCO) who narrowly avoided being a victim of two different Nazi war crimes (i.e., Haut-du-Bosq and Fontenay-Le- Pensnel). The Fontenay-Le-Pensnel case murders are the worst war crimes committed against soldiers in Canadian history.

Amazon site:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C2611DFL...al-text&sr=1-1