MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 02-04-23, 20:02

Default Air cleaner decals

I am looking for the decals which would have been on the air cleaners in the No2 Mk2* Canadian Carrier. LwD Parts have the one which I believe is correct for the main oil bath air cleaner as per the attached picture from their website. I also need the decal which is on the crankcase air breather, I have attached a picture of the remains of the decal on the crankcase breather on my Carrier but would like to get a new one. Does anyone know where I can get one or does anyone have the artwork electronically that I could then print out on decal paper?
Attached Thumbnails
Oil bath air cleaner.jpg   Engine air cleaner.jpg  

1944 Matchless G3L
1944 No2 MK2* UC
10 CWT GS trailer
1944 BSA M20
Royal Enfield RE125 'Flying Flea'
Old 02-04-23, 21:42
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gurr View Post
I also need the decal which is on the crankcase air breather, I have attached a picture of the remains of the decal on the crankcase breather on my Carrier but would like to get a new one. Does anyone know where I can get one or does anyone have the artwork electronically that I could then print out on decal paper?
That looks like the "United Oil Bath Air Cleaner" made by United Specialties. I could take pictures of the label on mine but I have no idea how to transform them into printable artwork?
Old 03-04-23, 20:10

I appreciate the offer Hanno, at least I would know what the missing words are. If I could get a good photo of the decal flat I believe it can be printed onto decal paper but any photos of decals on air filters will be 'curved' and my computer skills are way short of managing that level of work.

1944 Matchless G3L
1944 No2 MK2* UC
10 CWT GS trailer
1944 BSA M20
Old 03-04-23, 21:10

Available on ebay.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/152364053240...AAAOSwCGVX~Rx1
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 03-04-23, 21:14

Is that filter standard fitment on a MK2 *? Mine just has a standard cap. Mike if you haven't already ordered the air filter sticker from LwD, could you order two and we can share the postage. Cheers Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Carrier 081.jpg  
Old 03-04-23, 21:57
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Baker View Post
Well Mike, Jordan just made it very easy for you!

Just a few mouse clicks away:

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	133327
Old 03-04-23, 21:59
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Pier View Post
Is that filter standard fitment on a MK2 *? Mine just has a standard cap.
Hello Ron, see the link I posted above: "In 1941, a Service Bulletin announced that a Oil Bath filter was introduced for "Heavy duty service in dusty conditions"." So it wasn't a standard fitment.
Old 04-04-23, 06:52

Thanks Hanno. I did read through your link, but wondered if carriers came into the frame as it being an essential fitting. I'll leave mine as it is as it marked for Europe anyway. Cheers Ron
Old 04-04-23, 20:43

The help available from this forum never fails to amaze me. Jordan, well spotted and many thanks. Ron - yes will do and Hanno, I don't know about standardisation as every Carrier seems to be slightly different. A friend of mine has a carrier same mark as mine and only 3 months apart from mine in build date but has various differences. His has a bypass oil filter which mine does not, each Carrier has different fire extinguisher brackets etc etc whether they started life the same and have had changes to some parts since is most likely or maybe the parts fitted did vary from month to month even when new. so far as anecdotal evidence has it the crankcase air filter has always been on my carrier but who knows as that 'evidence' certainly does not go back all the way to 1944. Variety is the spice of life!!

1944 Matchless G3L
1944 No2 MK2* UC
10 CWT GS trailer
1944 BSA M20
Old 09-04-23, 10:12
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Variety is the spice of life!!
Indeed Mike, and that is what makes this hobby so interesting!
Old 10-04-23, 13:44

Absolutely. While waiting for the new decals to arrive does anyone have an original picture of the decal on the large air cleaner as I am not sure where it should be positioned?

1944 Matchless G3L
1944 No2 MK2* UC
10 CWT GS trailer
1944 BSA M20
Old 13-04-23, 22:04
Bluebell

Mike I have a united specialties breather that has two tags one from Ford of Canada and the other with a Ford part number. I assume United Specialties was a subsidiary of Ford? I don't know that these were supplied as a carrier part, but assume they were used "across the board" where an oil bath breather was specified. Nigel Watson's book talks about the alarmingly short engine life of Carrier engines in the desert and assume the oil baths were adopted then?
My Canadian Commercial parts book specifies "C11AS 6766 D Cap - oil bath breather assy (when Hydro vent specified) "Push in type". Fitted from 3/41. There was also a screw in type.
Attached Thumbnails
2023-04-14 07.28.42.jpg   2023-04-14 07.29.04.jpg   2023-04-14 07.29.59.jpg  

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 13-04-23, 22:08
Bluebell

Sorry about the pictures. I don't know how to rotate them. Ron , you have the hydro vent, so in theory at least you should be running an oil bath breather.

Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 14-04-23, 07:06

"Hydro vent" Is that what my standard oil filler cap is called Lynn? If one of the oil bath filters comes along I'll fit it, Ron
Old 14-04-23, 08:31
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Eades View Post
Mike I have a united specialties breather that has two tags one from Ford of Canada and the other with a Ford part number. I assume United Specialties was a subsidiary of Ford? I don't know that these were supplied as a carrier part, but assume they were used "across the board" where an oil bath breather was specified. Nigel Watson's book talks about the alarmingly short engine life of Carrier engines in the desert and assume the oil baths were adopted then?
My Canadian Commercial parts book specifies "C11AS 6766 D Cap - oil bath breather assy (when Hydro vent specified) "Push in type". Fitted from 3/41. There was also a screw in type.
Lynn, Tony answered most of your questions here: http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...688#post123688
Old 14-04-23, 13:34
Bluebell

Ron, the pre 42 engine had a crankcase breather system where air was drawn in via the oil filler cap (as per your engine filler cap) This was drawn in because the sump had a vent at the r.h. front of the sump, that was affected by the air flow past it (in the draught under the engine in a car or truck) (In other makes, called a draught tube) In your engine there is no vent. However your engine has the hydrovent system which has a thin sandwich plate between the carb base and the valve cover (inlet manifold) This has connected to it by way of various fittings, a PCV valve which is in turn connected to a tapping at the front right side of the inlet manifold (under the generator). In this system a negative flow is drawn in via the oil bath oil filler. This negative pressure is generated from engine vacuum (under closed throttle) and in turn draws throught the PCV valve (I see it, in your engine photo) and in turn through the pipe running forward to the front of the manifold. The early system doesn't work in a carrier with no draught past the sump vent. I hope this all make sense?

Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 14-04-23, 19:41

Thanks for the concise explanation Lynn. I'll take a closer look next time I get the covers off. I'd like to find one of those filters some time.

Cheers Ron
Old 16-04-23, 00:36
VMVC

Default Air Cleaner Decal- Ford Canada

Quote:
Absolutely. While waiting for the new decals to arrive does anyone have an original picture of the decal on the large air cleaner as I am not sure where it should be positioned?
Hi Mike,

Not sure if carrier and Ford CMP trucks used the same decal but here is an original air filter decal on a NOS CMP truck carburettor air cleaner, the large "Honeypot" type.

The gold background is different to most aftermarket air cleaner decals which are yellow, as is "Made in Canada". Most ones have "Made in USA" for the US market. That is the type I used on the restored CMP air cleaner shown.

I made the artwork for the Canadian version but getting gold decal paper is costly. Likewise getting permission to use the "Ford" logo opens up legal issues I am not willing to pursue so I shelved the idea of making them.

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2798.JPG   IMG_0215.JPG   IMG_0127.JPG  

Jacques Reed
Old 16-04-23, 02:28
Bluebell

Back to you Ron. Here are the Hydro Vent bits.
So the inlet manifold changed, The sump changed, and also the rear main seal changed (from a slinger to a seal)

Guys, what do I do to fix these pictures taken on my Android phone? Rotating them on my computer makes no difference. Is it the way I orientate my ph. when taking the photo?
Attached Thumbnails
2023-04-16 11.56.53.jpg   2023-04-16 11.58.06.jpg  

Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....

Last edited by Lynn Eades; 16-04-23 at 03:07. Reason: images
Old 16-04-23, 04:21
VMVC

Default Ford V8 sump- with road draft tube and Hydrovent

Hi Ron,

As Lynn mentioned there were two types of sumps: those with a road draft tube and those without.

Keith Webb posted a while back on Canadian Military Vehicles Facebook page, a WW2 D.M.E Technical Instruction regarding the fitting of the Hydrovent. Perhaps he can reproduce it here too if he reads this. Hydrovent was a name used by Fram for the PCV system.

It mentioned those sumps fitted with a road draft tube and the Hydrovent need to have the tube blocked off with a thin shim for the system to function properly.

I have two 1946 engines with road draft tubes, but I am running the Hydrovent on one of them, so I fabricated a block-off shim as per the Instruction. Even those two sumps are different. One has a smaller drain plug and one piece (car?). The other has a larger plug and a removable lower section at the flywheel (truck?) which is the one that I am using on my truck.

Hope this is of some interest.

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0247.jpg   IMG_0067.jpg   IMG_0224.jpg  

Jacques Reed
Old 16-04-23, 07:05

Thanks Lynn and Jacques for your explanation and pictures of the hydrovent system.

Lynn I receive pictures all the time from guys using their phone album which are often sideways or upside down??

Jacques the filter decal that Mike and I are fitting is for the large air filter bolted to the rear wall of the carriers. Since I think the filter can be revolved within its brackets! I'm guessing anywhere between the brackets??

Cheers Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Carrier 125.jpg  
Old 16-04-23, 15:34

Ron, the decal on the air cleaner for the carburetor went on the top and not the sides.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 16-04-23, 16:43

OK thanks Jordan. I'll have to attach mine so that it can nearly be seen Ron
Old 16-04-23, 17:48
carrier mech

Derk Derin just got a NOS carrier air cleaner, and as Jordan says, the decal is on the top. It will be visible through the screen on the engine cover.
Old 16-04-23, 20:41

Many thanks all those who have replied, the decal from LwD has arrived and awaiting the one from the USA.

1944 Matchless G3L
1944 No2 MK2* UC
10 CWT GS trailer
1944 BSA M20
Old 03-06-23, 21:23

Well the 'United Oil Bath Air Cleaner' label arrived from the USA and on the newly repainted air cleaner looks great. It is exactly the same size as the original though it is a sticker rather than a water slide transfer as was the original. They come as a pack of two so I have a spare should anyone in the UK or Europe need one.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1430.jpg  

1944 Matchless G3L
1944 No2 MK2* UC
10 CWT GS trailer
1944 BSA M20