MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 06-06-23, 02:52

Default LRDG Ford F30 front vents information

I'm trying to find information on these LRDG Ford F30 front vents. Are they standard vents relocated from behind the small grills, or added in base workshops? They don't seem to be anything to do with the engine air intake, or cooling system, so were they vents to the cab foot wells. We know the cabs were very hot places to be in the desert, as the crew had the heat of the engine added to the ambient air temperature, so was this some attempt at adding cooling for the crew? They are fitted to the majority of trucks, Any ideas or photos would help!
Attached Thumbnails
vents3.jpg   vents 4.jpg  
Old 08-06-23, 22:11

Hi Charlie,

I am not sure about Ford, but the Chev cab vents had round funnels behind the mesh, not the square ones you see in the pictures.

Some of the pics you posted clearly show that the trucks are non-vent cabs, so presumably cab 11, as there are no holes visible in the front of the wheelwell panels....so I presume that's the reason the crew, or a workshop, added extra hoses and the square intakes. However....I do wonder why they didn't just cut a hole in the front panels.........unless they wanted to "aim" the are to their feet in stead of their legs (?)

The factory air vent hoses by the way are very short sections, so it looks the desert guys sourced the hose from somewhere else.
Old 09-06-23, 01:24
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Down View Post
I'm trying to find information on these LRDG Ford F30 front vents.
Charlie, they are not specific to, or have anything to do with the LRDG.
They are factory design features on Canadian production as it evolved in the early development of the various cabs, with differences between Ford and Chev.

When the sheet metal of the Bonnet (Hood?) and radiator surround are removed to aid engine cooling, these cooling tubes (factory fitted) are exposed and no longer have bodywork to mount to. They have simply been relocated to mount on the closest suitable bodywork, the guards (Fenders, Wings?).
Old 10-06-23, 10:55

Hi Tony,
Apologies, I meant RHS for the PTO Compressor. I now have photos of the vents in the cab and photos showing them from the engine compartment.
Attached Images