MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > Military Shows & Events

Notices

Old 22-10-14, 06:56
Canadian Rangers

Thumbs up Movie: Fury

I wasn't sure where to put this so I decided "Military Shows" sounded right. The wife and I just saw the movie "Fury" starring Brad Pitt and we both give it 2 thumbs up. When it comes out on Blue-Ray we will be buying it.

Now since it was the first viewing we did not watch close enough to pick out any mistakes or bloopers, maybe next time after we buy it.

Also I read in CMV where all the vehicles came.

Gary

M152 CDN
VW Iltis and M101 Trailer

Old 22-10-14, 17:36
Richard Harrison

Did you not find it a bit OTT ? America saves the world ? (No offence to Americans)

I have not watched it yet but I am told it's pretty much a case of one tank Vs the Cream of the German army... And they win.

__5th Div___46th Div__
1942 Ford Universal Carrier No.3 MkI*
Lower Hull No. 10131
War Department CT54508 (SOLD)
1944 Ford Universal Carrier MkII* (under restoration).
1944 Morris C8 radio body (under restoration).
Old 22-10-14, 18:58
Canadian Rangers

Default Thoughts

Yes it was a movie that showed only the US fighting, however it is a movie about 1 tank and it's crew on a suicide mission and no they do not win, they do help minimize the German attack on the supply line however they do not "Win".

I would love to see more big budget movies like this and Band of Brothers made about the contributions of Britain, Canadian, Australian, France, and all the other countries involved however they will not get made. I know we have in Canada a few movies about D-Day and such but they are not as well done as the US movies

Gary
M152 CDN
VW Iltis and M101 Trailer

Old 23-10-14, 00:03
carrier mech

I found they added a little too much gore than was necessary. Seemed like there were only two kinds of soldiers in the movie: those who did not get shot and those who got shot and died, usually with dramatic things like heads popping off, legs falling off, or the German officer marching around while on fire.

During the final zoom out, you saw the dozens on dozens on dozens of German dead from the one immobilized tank. Seemed pretty hokey to me. The Germans did not get as far as they did in the war dumping 3 hundred soldiers onto one immobilized tank. Nor do you peer into a tank to see whats going on. You open the hatch just enough to drop in a grenade. After that has gone off, you can peer in.

The popcorn however was beyond reproach.
Old 23-10-14, 03:00
[user name reset]

popcorn brand??

I had though some parts of the film were meant to be science fiction...rounds bouncing of Sherman...
But its got a real Tiger in it so that counterbalances a lot of exaggerations... The equipment detail is quite remarkable..the story line...well that s hollywood.

Winners write history ..I wish the Americans would be a little more generous in their inclusion though . The Tommies are much more generous ...the poles in the battle of britain , a bridge to far , to name two .

Or maybe my movie going is to narrow and have missed American films that give the "Allies " a fair go.
Old 23-10-14, 04:34
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina Vampire View Post
popcorn brand??
Orville Reddenboker of course.

From my very few times on rocket ranges, it is not hard to deflect a round if the angle of incidence is too great.
Old 23-10-14, 23:13
M38A1 CDN3

...and the angle of incidence equals the angle of reflection which leads to sometimes great collateral damage.l
Old 24-10-14, 02:44

When the German column was marching down the road, it seemed like every other guy had a Panzerfaust shouldered. Funny that when they ran into the tank, they had one box of 4 to use. What happened to the rest?

I also thought the scene in the dining room was out of character for a crew that supposedly had gotten along so well for three years. I don't think they would have behaved so pissy when the SSGt was "playing nice" with the locals.

Granted, taking the piss from the FNG who just got laid would have happened, but I don't think quite so nastily.
Old 25-10-14, 18:58

Can't remember a movie in recent history that actually did their best to be accurate in the vehicles, uniforms, weapons etc....You can never please the "Rivet Counters". I saw some guy on the net going on about the tanks being too close together..."highly in-accurate" Except it is a movie...not a course in Tactics at Fort Knox...Pretty hard to get all the tanks in the frame if you have them all spaced "tactically correct" ....and yes Fury was actually an M4A2 posing as M4A3...but who the hell cares? They could have used Chaffee's for Sherman's and M47 Patton's for Tigers...but they didn't...and do you think 99% of the world would have cared?...probably not...yet the MV community who should appreciate the effort that was taken for accuracy sake...picks the movie apart because we are smarter then the film makers...I have never been in combat so I can not speak to the accuracy of the action sequences...but they sure made an impression on me...and if a Canadian writer director wanted to make a movie about a Canadian tank crew...would we fault him for not including more Americans? And finally we are disappointed in the final battle because the Germans didn't kill everybody more efficiently? Let's try to remember it was a fictional movie made for our entertainment...not a documentary
Old 26-10-14, 10:53
Blitzed

Default fury

Saw it today. Had read some criticism of it beforehand and had seen the trailer which didn't leave me too excited.
However, upon leaving the cinema I can thoroughly recommended it. It was tense, violent, gritty and very well acted.
I so want to own a tank again.
Old 26-10-14, 14:25

Default Fury

Saw it once, wouldn't see again; although I guess I have indirectly contributed to Brad Pitt's wealth.

I would summarize the movie as 'a re-enactor's wet dream', loads of nice kit, but very little substance.

From my perspective, the war movies of the 1950s and 1960s had pretty good plots but totally inaccurate kit; now they have all the right kit and ridiculous plots. Perhaps some day we will see a merge of the two.
Old 27-10-14, 08:10

Yeah Henry Ford and Telly Savalas rolling 50 gallon drums of gasoline down the road and single handedly thwarting the entire Ardennes offensive was way better...maybe in the Fury sequel Clint Eastwood and Richard Burton will swing in on a cable car and save the day...
Old 28-10-14, 20:02

Default Old War Movies

Too bad your 'vast' knowledge of WWII movies is limited to a few of the dreadful examples from the 1960s. You didn't disappoint me with your reply, I expected as much - or should I say so little.

Try "Go For Broke" and "The Tanks are Coming", both from 1951 for starters.
Old 28-10-14, 22:05

Default '' Fury'' or fury about '' Fury ''

Come on guys, not worth showing such ''fury'' about ''Fury '' !

Besides, i haven' t seen it yet, you are ruining my high expectations about Hollywood movies and accurate depiction of history and facts....

Robert
94 LSVW
Old 29-10-14, 03:54
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Funny to hear all the commentary and reviews on this movie. I have yet to see it but expect that I will.
As such, it is entertainment. If one wanted accuracy and fact they would watch a documentary...maybe.
I was screening some documentaries from US involvement in Vietnam last evening. Needless to say, even these had a certain flair to them, typical government produced quasi propaganda that at times seemed quite doubtful even though they were presenting "fact". Interesting to note that a great deal of the included information has since been disputed, disproven or altogether dismissed in the years since files have become unclassified.
Sit back, relax and enjoy the movie.

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 29-10-14, 09:48

Seriously Ed? "The tanks are coming" and "Go for broke" ? These are the movies that you cite as cinematic gems from the golden age of war movies? Ouch...The tanks are coming is probably worse than "Battle of the Bulge"...a cast of veritable unknowns with anchorman hair-do's casting each other knowing glances all the while looking like something out of a Rock Hudson Palm Springs pool party...wooden acting, a formulaic plot right out of the US War Office, laughable jingoistic narration and just plain painful to watch...twenty minutes in you are rooting for the Germans to kill them all! I think if you were trying to convince shoeless, dough-headed farmboys to join the army in 1951..this would be the ticket...makes war look like a pretty good time! (Grab a cup of "joe" Sarge then we will give them Krauts what for!) And "Go for Broke", Van Johnson's vanity project about discrimination in the ranks! Not entirely unwatchable...but I preferred him in "The Caine Mutiny"...a much better picture in my humble opinion...Hey I don't hate the old war movies (except "The Tanks are Coming"...it deserves to be hated) I even find myself watching Patton whenever it rears its ugly head on TV...but lets face it..."The Beast", "Saving Private Ryan", "Band of Brothers", "Lebanon", "White Tiger" and "Fury" among others, combine better writing, much better production values, vastly superior acting and I think make a much more realistic point of showing war for what it is...a horrible undertaking of last resort
Old 29-10-14, 11:00
Blitzed

Bah!

Everybody knows the best war movie ever made is Kelly's Heroes.

Flame suit on.
Old 29-10-14, 11:50
Member since 1998

Default Brad's Fury

I saw this last week and as entertainment goes it was good. My opinion only.
Kind of knew going in it would be the same US soldier wins the war on his own type film but what the hey.
The treatment of how it was filmed inside the tank was impressive if not a little too roomy (is that a word?) but at least the rivet-counting-types have little to moan about regarding the Tiger Tank but they will find something, they always do.

It's a movie, it's not real... unlike Star Wars and Dr Who.

And speaking of model makers, how long will this take...

The NEW Tamyia "Fury Tank" complete with steel barrel, blown track, Sgt Wardaddy and bits of 300 SS soldiers to complete that diarama.

Fury gets from me.
Wayne
Old 29-10-14, 12:05

Default TamFURYia Tank Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Henderson View Post
The NEW Tamyia "Fury Tank" complete with steel barrel, blown track, Sgt Wardaddy and bits of 300 SS soldiers to complete that diarama.
I would buy it!
Old 29-10-14, 16:03

Default Fury

we at the museum helped do the Canadian media release for the film , that was a busy day for us , many interviews , but a great plug for the museum , Billy was all dressed up to play the part of Fury with Bart playing one of the other tanks, lots of footage shot by the media outlets and it gave our last tank day of the year a great boost, the movie had some great camera angles and CGI, the US infantry moving from behind the Sherman's was real bad Hollywood , and the close up of the MG-42 gave you a great idea of what never to get in front of, and the combat lock on the loader's hatch seemed to be NS,
Old 29-10-14, 16:38
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Kelly"s Heroes, a true classic!
The time in which it was produced reeked of the 60's love and groovieness, man.
I still love Das Boot...

1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,

Old 29-10-14, 20:12

Default Wonder when it will come to DVD by summer

Hi Guys

Reading the comments on spotting equipment irregularities, thought what fun it would be get Fury on DVD and show it at the Weare Summer Rally nothing liken showing it in front of couple hundred MV enthusiasts.

When ever I start picking out the MV problems when watching a movie, my wife kiddingly tells me to shut up and watch the movie. But after all these years she spots the military vehicles particularly CMPs in the movie and records them.

Cheer Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 29-10-14, 23:00

I have seen the film and its great, In the opening scene the silhouetted disabled German panther and panzer armour I think is also genuine as I think I know who it belongs too. It's got great action all the way through, I don't want to spoil the storyline for others, I just wish it would of gone on for longer, perhaps in the directors cut?. One criticism is I wish they gave Scott Eastwood a few lines.

Kevin.
1941 Standard Mk1 stowage Carrier, light stone.
10 cwt wartime mortar trailer.
1943 Mk2 Daimler Dingo.
1943 Willys MB.
1936 Vickers MG carrier No1 Mk1 CMM 985.
Old 30-10-14, 09:52
Blitzed

Kevin I believe it was crompton collection for the axis armour at the start of the pic. Yes?
Old 30-10-14, 19:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Kevin I believe it was crompton collection for the axis armour at the start of the pic. Yes?
I don't think so.
1941 Standard Mk1 stowage Carrier, light stone.
10 cwt wartime mortar trailer.
1943 Mk2 Daimler Dingo.
1943 Willys MB.
1936 Vickers MG carrier No1 Mk1 CMM 985.
Old 30-10-14, 19:21
Adrian Barrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
No, Bruce supplied the other German vehicles but not those two tanks.
Old 31-10-14, 00:40
Blitzed

Axis track services. They're on facebook. Lots of fury set pics.
Old 31-10-14, 02:40
3RD ECHELON WKSP

As an aside, the Stuart that now resides at CFB Shilo (I believe) that is ex-Gregg collection was originally named FURY.
My uncle was employed with one of our fellow MLU members here while a majority of the Gregg collection was being restored.
As I was told, he was the guy who sandblasted this Stuart and discovered the markings under the various layers of paint...

1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,

Old 31-10-14, 17:57

were the Panther and Pz IV. from the Cadman brothers? Or Kevin Wheatcroft's collection?
Old 02-11-14, 01:42

Default fury

Read the reviews here while waiting in the theater. Thumbs up as far as I'm concerned, tiger was nice to see. Wife was a little sad about Brad , but she'll get over it ! My two cents. K Armitage