MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 01-03-19, 20:55

Question F60s LAAT Census Number from Chassis Number

Hi,

I have been trying to work out my vehicle Census Number for my 1944 Ford F60 LAAT since I’ve owned it. (6 years )

The original data plates are long lost and I haven’t yet managed to locate a stamped serial number on the chassis. (Not sure if I’m looking in the right places)

However .... today my wife dug out the vehicle V5 logbook (United Kingdom) wich I’ve just noticed has the following chassis number recorded

Can anyone kindly tell me if this looks to be a viable chassis number for a 1944 Ford??

And if so ,,,,,, here’s the BIG QUESTION ....... Is there anybody out there that can possibly work out the Vehicle Census Number from this chassis number???

I would be absolutely thrilled if someone can help me as I would love to paint the correct numbers on my doors this summer in time for the 75th D-Day Anniversary.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Mark
Old 02-03-19, 06:20
MLU Administrator

Hello Mark,

Chassis number fits in the range of numbers recorded here: http://www.canadian-register.co.uk/database.html

Can’t help with matching the WD census number. I wonder if there was a linear relation?

If you’re coming to Normandy, will you join us for a MLU gathering on 3 June?

HTH,
Hanno
Old 03-03-19, 17:36

Hi Hanno,

Thank you ever so much for your post and that very useful link to the CMP Data sheet. From that I have managed to work out that my CMP would of been manufactured in October of 1944

None of the LAAT’s listed have their WD serial number recorded so unfortunately I won’t be able to work out an algorithm or a rough number.

However it’s great to know that my chassis number actually corresponds and doesI infact tally up with the “late war” features and 1944 date on the rear tow pintal plate. And to now know this was October 44 is a real delight.

Ivor Ramsden (a fellow forum member) kindly sent me a list of all Ford LAAT serial numbers allocated by Chilwel UK. There are just over 2000 number to choose from, so my best hope that I can think of is to choose a late number at random and use that.... it won’t be the exact number for my LAAT but at least it’s in the correct allocation.

The “big plan” was to definitely attend Normandy 75th ( I have attended every anniversary since 2004, in my family car only) and was hoping to get the Ford over this year with a Bedford MWD, however both lorries are still along way off from being ready and I’m starting to think that it won’t happen. But We’re doing our best.... I’ll keep you posted with our progress...

I’m currently fitting an electric distributor, re-plumbing the off side fuel tank, doing a total re wire, plumbing in a mechanical fuel pump,having my dynamo converted to 12v -earth. Changing all break cylinders, and trying to get the rear LAAT frame made up.

Thanks again ...

Kind regards ,

Mark Towers
Old 08-05-20, 15:14
MLU Administrator

Default list of all Ford LAAT serial numbers allocated by Chilwel UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Towers View Post
Ivor Ramsden (a fellow forum member) kindly sent me a list of all Ford LAAT serial numbers allocated by Chilwel UK. There are just over 2000 number to choose from, so my best hope that I can think of is to choose a late number at random and use that.... it won’t be the exact number for my LAAT but at least it’s in the correct allocation.
Hello Mark,

Dragging up an old thread in an effort to find more contract and census numbers...

Could you please share that file that Ivor sent to you?

Thanks in advance!