MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 17-09-03, 00:08

Default Trailer - Canadian - 10 Cwt - WWII

Vince Hands, a military vehicle collector in Maple Ridge, BC, recently acquired a tired Canadian built WWII 10 Cwt trailer, the model with the steel body. Sadly, the data plate is missing.

He would like to get in touch with owners of other examples of these rare trailers.

Was the serial number recorded anywhere else on the vehicle?

What did the serial number look like?

What years were this model produced?

On a similar trailer found out here in BC, I am told that the data plate appears to be marked: 2-10-P-GS-2-210
The viewer thought it was P-C5 in the middle but the DESIGN RECORD page on my web site says P-GS I believe the first "10" would refer to the weight (10 Cwt = 1/2 Ton cargo capacity). One of the "2" numbers, likely the one after P-GS, would refer to it being the second model. The first version had a composite wooden body. The 210 MAY be the actual serial number in this case.

All of my reference books are packed away due to a recent move - from Pitt Meadows to Burnaby, BC.

Colin Stevens' web page on the trailer.

Page on the steel body trailer of this type.
Old 21-09-03, 16:54

Hi Colin
I have one of these trailers, as does Brian Gough. One of these years we will get our as*** together enough to take them to the OMVA show hooked in tandem. Mine has two data plates, one on the body and one on the chassis. I may be wrong but I think Brian's is missing tha plates. I can take photos of the plates if you want .
Barry
Old 21-09-03, 17:44
HUP guy

Default Trailer 10 cwt.

Hi Colin,

The 10 cwt. trailers that Barry and I have were both made by Brantford Coach & Body and have the all steel, bolted body. Barry is too modest as his trailer is beautiful. Mine, well..... Although my data plates are gone, the trailer was built in 1942 and one of the serial numbers is 210E2225.

I believe Bob Phillips had one of the prototype Brantford Coach trailers and it is now owned by Jim Fraser in Arnprior, ON.

I seem to recall there was a similar thread to this on the old MLU Forum. Perhaps Hanno, the master of MLU searches, can help us out and post it here if it is relevant.

Brian
Old 21-09-03, 22:28
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Trailer 10 cwt.

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Gough
Perhaps Hanno, the master of MLU searches, can help us out and post it here if it is relevant.
Brian,

Please, I am trying to get a life
Anyhow, if anyone is interested see the links section on my page on the Trailer, 1 Ton, 2 Wh., G.S.
In a recent issue of MMI magazine there is a picture of one (albeit with wooden body), bought at a UK farm auction for a mere UKP 25!

Cheers,
Hanno

Last edited by Hanno Spoelstra; 08-02-16 at 16:27. Reason: fixed link
Old 15-04-16, 06:06
Tony Baker

What kind of life do you fancy, Hanno? I'm not using mine much, and you're welcome to borrow it, if that helps. Bit boring though.
Old 15-04-16, 09:58
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private_collector View Post
What kind of life do you fancy, Hanno? I'm not using mine much, and you're welcome to borrow it, if that helps. Bit boring though.
Wow, Tony, if you revive a 13 year old thread, your life must be boring
Or you are getting very good at searching for information on MLU - who knows, I may sign you up as a moderator

Thanks,
Hanno