MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 16-03-06, 18:29
GM Fox I

Default News Item

This was in yesterday's Toronto Star. It should be an article about theft, but has an undercurrent that makes me nervous. If 'cadpat' is a threat (terrorists posing as legitimate troops), then surley any military vehicle or uniform is equally dangerous...or will be made out that way by some?

Web sale of Canadian soldier uniforms probed
Canada's JTF2 gear sells on eBay
Pilfering poses security risk to soldiers
Mar. 15, 2006. 05:05 AM
CANADIAN PRESS
The military is investigating how uniforms and equipment issued only to Canadian soldiers are ending up for sale on the Internet, CBC News reports.
The sale also raises concerns about the security of troops.
"We'll be looking at all aspects right through and including the supply chain," Capt. Mark Giles of the military's National Investigation Service told the CBC.
Military investigators believe many items being sold on online may have been stolen by soldiers or civilians working in the supply chain.
The big worry is who is buying the uniforms and why. "It could mean that a potential attack is coming with insurgents who are disguising themselves as Canadian soldiers," said John Thompson of Toronto's MacKenzie Institute.
Each piece of a uniform is distinct, with its own serial number. It's not supposed to be worn by anyone other than a member of the Canadian Forces.
It is illegal for civilians to own or wear the Forces' distinctive camouflage CADPAT (Canadian Disruptive Pattern) clothing and illegal for soldiers to sell it.
But the CBC says that, for just a few hundred dollars, it's possible to buy a complete CADPAT uniform with name badge and rank insignia, making the person wearing it indistinguishable from a real Canadian soldier.
A web search also turned up gloves, combat helmets, specialized sniper jackets, and harnesses meant for the country's elite commandos, the JTF2. Such gear sold online last week for $1,200 (U.S.) before it was even issued to soldiers.
The ad reads, in part: "This auction is for both CADPAT arid and temperate versions. Winning bid wins both!!!!! ... Hard to find items! Both True JTF2 Canadian Special Forces Military Issue! ... This Auction contains no firearms, no firearm parts, no firearm magazines whatsoever."
The CADPAT became standard issue combat uniform for the army in 2002, replacing the olive green combat uniforms.
CANADIAN PRESS
Old 16-03-06, 19:46
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Re-inacters...

Bruce
With all those fat old basta*ds running around in Military uniforms of all description running around ,that have or had no ties to the military,yet can buy uniform parts and pieces and wear them when ever,what ever happened to "Impersonating an officer/military man/etc.."
Isn't it on the books somewhere as a "Crime against humanity" or something..???
Off to the block with the lot of them...
If your are not in the active military,hang 'em up....
You have no reason to be in a military uniform...
Wear a lapel pin and your medals...as a past military man/woman...
Old 16-03-06, 21:21
Mr. HUP

Default TORSTAR

No one else can get a story so wrong...each piece has a serial number - but that number is the same for all items of a similar nature...usually a NSN. The vest that sold to a dumb buyer is an old prototype. I guess if you say it belongs to a secret ssquirrel type, some knob will come out of the woodwork and buy it - ebay proves that daily...

As for picking out a "real soldier", Joe Q Public thinks that when I wear a pair of coveralls, old boots and drive a green truck - I'm a real soldier...different story for those who know.

Gullible isn't in the dictionary...
Old 16-03-06, 21:30
3RD ECHELON WKSP

With all the knock off copies of Cadpat going around, I'm sure anyone who wanted to pose could do so quite easily. Typical of the media to blow things out of proportion.

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 17-03-06, 01:35
In Vino Veritas

Default German prison camps

In WWII industrious British soldiers made passable German uniforms , to escape with, using only the most rudimentary kit. What can a person with internet for research , modern sewing machine and the will to make a copy of a uniform, do. I could make a very passable helmet out of paper mache' if need be.
Also there is such a thing as IDENTIFICATION and CROSS CHECKING and PHONING FOR VERIFICATION on the part of people. My wife has a set of camo pants, as does my son...please inform the MP'S to come and arrest them
Sean
M38CDN 1952
Other stuff
Old 17-03-06, 02:11
Mr. HUP

Default Re: German prison camps

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowtractor
In WWII industrious British soldiers made passable German uniforms , to escape with, using only the most rudimentary kit.
Sean,

Clever lads, then...now, I don't suspect a lot of 20 somethings are capable of threading a needle much less using it. If a "terrorist" does try to disquise himself and pass himself off as a soldier, he might get past a mall cop or sleepy Commissionnaire...but not vigilant soldiers, thanks to the regimental system and that nagging feeling that one wants to keep oneself and his mates safe.

Slow day at the TORSTAR...can't bitch about Harper, so why not invent a "crisis"? What's next? Terroists reading our manuals and trying to figure out our doctrine? The Soviets tried that and look what happend to them...
Old 17-03-06, 05:51
In Vino Veritas

Default Re: Re: German prison camps

Quote:
Originally posted by RHClarke
Sean,

Clever lads, then...now, I don't suspect a lot of 20 somethings are capable of threading a needle much less using it.
I think as you but then you've got the young Ballards out there that will surprise you. It would all come down to necessity, if they had to , they would get it done. Lets face the other obvious part which is , if there is a demand by US consumers or anywhere consumers , then there will be passable knockoffs coming out of asia next week. I notice that AIRSOFT has PASGT helmet replicas that would fool a Sgt Major from 2 feet, wouldn't stop anything more than a paint ball though.
Sean
M38CDN 1952
Other stuff
Old 17-03-06, 17:26
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Re: German prison camps

Quote:
Originally posted by RHClarke
Sean,

he might get past a mall cop or sleepy Commissionnaire...but not vigilant soldiers, thanks to the regimental system and that nagging feeling that one wants to keep oneself and his mates safe.

Sleepy Commissionnaires are a bigger problem than terrorists wearing CF uniforms. I had to report for training at CFB Chilliwack so I drove my 5/4 ton which were no longer CF kit, with civilian, not DND plates to the base. The commissionnaire just waved me through the gate, even though I had civilian clothes on! In any event, how could he stop anybody? He was unarmed. Halt! or I'll shout Halt! again!