MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > Your Relatives

Notices

Old 19-08-18, 21:36

Default Grandfather in Royal Army Service Corps

Hi all,
My grandfather served with the Royal Army Service Corps during WW2.
He joined up in 1937 and spent time in Palestine and Egypt before the war. In 1939 he was sent back to the Uk and ended up in France with the BEF.
He made it home through Dunkirk.
His main memory of this episode was torching his Bedford truck which was full of Jam and other stores on instruction from his officer.
After returning home, he married my gran, and then was shipped off to Africa in 1942.
His RASC unit was merged into the 396 GT Coy, which then went over to Sicily and on into Italy. He spent 1943 and 1944 working different docs and supply routes as the allies progressed through Italy.
In 1945 he was charged with taking a convoy over the mountains into Austria to supply Graz. He stayed on in Europe until 1946 when he returned home and was demobbed.
His connection to the maple leaf was that his RASC unit had lots of trucks ( mainly 10T Macks) but his favourites were always the D15 Dodge trucks.
As a convoy leading NCO he always preferred a D15 with its closed cab.
I have attached some photos I took of the 396 coy Canadian trucks in North Africa and Cassino, Italy.
These photos were taken from the company magazines I found at the IWM Duxford.
I have also linked his eulogy from when he passed at the ripe old age of 95 in 2014.
http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/NEWS/1096...esert_veteran/
Attached Thumbnails
Cassino.jpg