MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 24-01-13, 03:24

Default Australian fire pump trailer

I would like to model this little Aussie trailer that was towed behind CMP fire tenders, but despite extensive searching here and elsewhere, I have not been able to find pictures of the front. I did see one post-war with a lovely chrome radiator cover, but that seems unlikely for 1940s. Here's a pic from the AWM.

Thanks for any help,

Allan.
Attached Images

Old 24-01-13, 07:03
Rick Cove

These pump trailers are fitted with the same engine as the Chev Blitz towing it. The wheels are also C1940 Chev. car wheels and hubcaps and are fitted with 600x16 tyres.
Regards Rick.
1940 F30S Cab11
1940 Chev WA LRDG "Te Hai"
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
1942 Bren Gun Carrier VR no.2250
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
25pdr. Australian Short No.185 (?)
KVE Member.
Old 24-01-13, 11:07
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Jupiter

That looks like a GMH made JUPITER , there was one of those in Bill Drews yard years ago , it was pretty much a wreck .

Rod Keys had a complete one at his auction , 10 years ago ?

Mike
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 24-01-13, 16:59

Thanks Rick for the detail on the wheel and tyre size, good info.

Cheers,

Allan
Old 24-01-13, 18:08

In had one of those trailers: got the bones of it from Billy Drew in Mt Alexander Road, Pascoe Vale (?). I used it as the base for a high-sided box trailer, which is still being towed around the Yass area somewhere (fitted with 7.50x16 tyres on the original wheels, and 700x16 on Toyota Hi Lux wheels, which have the same stud pattern).

A couple of points from memory, as I stripped the badly rusted bodywork from it so I remember something of what it looked like.

Chassis: is an "A" shape from the rear corners where the props are in the image, to the apex (towing eye) point. There are outriggers on the A frame to mount the axle springs.

The prop visible in the rear corner: there was one at each corner and one about a foot back from the apex on the right side. The prop mounts were brass/bronze, and were intwo halves, held together with a bolt on one side, and a threaded rod bent into a handle on the other. The prop feet were not flat, but slightly dome shaped, and about 6 inches across. Ros was probably 1.5 inches in diameter (these are guess-timates!) The top was flat and much smaller, maybe 3 inches across.

Bodywork, front: the two long boxes along each side are open topped, with flat steel U shaped stirrups to hold the pick-up lines (visible in the image). These two boxes end in square ends. Across the front of the trailer was a flat sheet steel wall, with a half-round locker in front of it. The locker had a hinged lid (hinged along the straight side). The width of the locker was the distance between the boxes: it did not extend across the front of the two boxes.

Towing hitch/eye was mounted above the chassis (like the No.4 jeep trailer).

As Rick said, Chev tyres and car-type wheels. The bearings were really strange: glad mine never had to be replaced. I just took them apart (they were not a closed cage type, but all loose balls with an inner and outer), cleaned them, greased them, and left it at that. Never gave me any trouble, and I used the trailer for thousands of miles of field work for years. I towed it behind a Hi Lux, hence the second set of tyres on Hi Lux rims, which gave me more spares if needed.

Hope this helps.

Mike C
Old 24-01-13, 22:50
Rick Cove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cecil View Post
As Rick said, Chev tyres and car-type wheels. The bearings were really strange: glad mine never had to be replaced. I just took them apart (they were not a closed cage type, but all loose balls with an inner and outer), cleaned them, greased them, and left it at that. Never gave me any trouble, and I used the trailer for thousands of miles of field work for years. I towed it behind a Hi Lux, hence the second set of tyres on Hi Lux rims, which gave me more spares if needed.
Those ball bearings are known in the trade and vintage circles as Chev Bearings. They are still available and seem to work well. My 1940 Chev Staff Car has them and whilst I have replaced them I have never had any trouble.

Just remembered that my Australian No.3 IHC (No.7) built trailer has them as well, infact I put the used bearings out of the Chev when I replaced them into the trailer as they were in better condition than the originals. (and kept the best one as a spare.)

I have run HiLux split rims on the Chev ever since I found out via the late Neil Wain that my Chev, being a desert model should have had 7.50x16 tyres instead of the smaller 6.00x16 it had on it when I picked it up. The HiLux rims have the correct off-set where as LandCruised rime are set too far in and fouled the steering. I have now picked up a full set of original wide Chev rims to tke the 7.50x16 tyres all I need now is time to get them painted and fitted.

Regards Rick
1940 F30S Cab11
1940 Chev WA LRDG "Te Hai"
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
1942 Bren Gun Carrier VR no.2250
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
25pdr. Australian Short No.185 (?)
KVE Member.
Old 25-01-13, 00:18
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default C8 bearings

The C8 uses those same wheel bearings - front
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 25-01-13, 03:30

Great detail Mike, thank you very much. Certainly helps to know what's underneath too.

Cheers,
Allan
Old 01-02-13, 10:40
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default pics

pics ...................
Attached Thumbnails
FIRE TENDER A.jpg   FIRE TENDER B.jpg   FIRE TENDER C.jpg  
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 01-02-13, 13:40

Those bicycle type cup and cone ball bearings were also used on the Lease/Lend Chev front axle. The balls are not loose, they are ganged in a cage arrangement and can be picked up as a single unit.

One strange anomaly is that the shorter (civilian?) version of the L/L truck is always to be found with a heavier front axle using barrel rollers. The longer L/L
truck nearly always with the lighter axle and bicycle bearings??

David
Old 01-02-13, 16:33

Thanks for those three pictures Mike, nice and clear too. The first and last are new to me, and great for scaling out the size of the trailer.

Does anyone know what colour the fire extinguishers would have been? I've heard that a lot of WWII extinguishers were either green or brass, but not red.

Allan
Old 17-05-22, 19:59
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Dragging up an old thread. One of these trailers ha come up for sale on Facebook Marketplace. Pictures posted here for posterity.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...2111112l%22%7D
Attached Thumbnails
Fire Trl 1.jpg   Fire Trl 2.jpg   Fire Trl 3.jpg   Fire Trl 4.jpg   Fire Trl 5.jpg  

Old 28-05-22, 15:02

Thanks for the pictures Tony. There can't be many of these left, surely, so good to see one more.