MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 27-07-10, 07:44

Default Wanted:pictures of Q.O.C.H.of Canada universal carriers

To MLU Members,
I have been searching like crazy on the internet looking for WWII pictures of universal carriers of the Queen's own Cameron Highlanders of Canada.I was asked by the association to display my carrier at their 100th anniversary display and I cannot find one clear photo of the front of one of their carriers.My research has the formation sign as being the blue square with a gold maple leaf with the C II in the middle of the leaf.As for the unit sign,they were 68 in northwest europe but am unclear of the background color of the unit sign.It is either brown or I was also told maroon.Does anybody know what the background color was for the 6th Canadian infantry brigade in the 2nd Canadian infantry Division? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am not having any luck in my searches.I would like to repaint my carrier to this regiment and want all the proper signs and identification markings to be correct and in the right place and an original photo would do that for me to answer my questions.Thanks for any help you can give me,
Derk.
1943 Bantam T-3 1/4 ton trailer
BSA folding airborne bicycle ser#R5325 (early)
Old 27-07-10, 13:27
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Uc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derk derin View Post
To MLU Members,
I have been searching like crazy on the internet looking for WWII pictures of universal carriers of the Queen's own Cameron Highlanders of Canada.I was asked by the association to display my carrier at their 100th anniversary display and I cannot find one clear photo of the front of one of their carriers.My research has the formation sign as being the blue square with a gold maple leaf with the C II in the middle of the leaf.As for the unit sign,they were 68 in northwest europe but am unclear of the background color of the unit sign.It is either brown or I was also told maroon.Does anybody know what the background color was for the 6th Canadian infantry brigade in the 2nd Canadian infantry Division? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am not having any luck in my searches.I would like to repaint my carrier to this regiment and want all the proper signs and identification markings to be correct and in the right place and an original photo would do that for me to answer my questions.Thanks for any help you can give me,
Derk.
Derk..
When I was working at Vimy there was an unrestored carrier in the back that was going to be restored ..It had all the original markings on it from the "Big One"..and was a Cameron MG carrier..
Had all the Cameron markings and bulilet dings etal..
anyway they show two listed ,one was the WASP and no more detail than this on the other..It could be still there ..may want to contact them or go and take some pictures of it..
Here is the info ..

armoured personnel carrier

Artifact Number 19680041-001
Museum CWM
Place of Use Country - no entry, Municipality - no entry
Place of Origin Country - Canada, Province - no entry, Municipality - no entry
Artist/Maker/Manufacturer Ford Motor Company of Canada
Begin Date 1941/01/01
End Date 1956/12/31
Measurements Height 63.0 in, Length 148.0 in, Width 83.0 in
Brand Name / Model Universal Carrier MKII No. 2
Category 07: distribution and transportation artifacts
Sub-category G160: land transportation, motorized

Good lunk..although Mark will jump in and give you what you want probably.
Old 27-07-10, 16:39

Default Carrier photo

Hi Alex,
Thanks for the information.Would this carrier be pictured on the internet somewhere? I am up to my eyeballs with projects going on right now! As I type this I am on my way out the door.I would have thought there would be a photo site for the Q.O.C.H.of C. that I would find the picture I need.Anyone know of one?I am going up to museum tonight to see what I can find there.
Regards Derk.
Old 27-07-10, 17:10
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

I show the Camerons as part of the 2nd Canadian Infantry Division in '44-'45. The formation sign would be a gold maple leaf on a royal blue background, but without the "CII", which was early war.

The unit sign was a "68" on a black background, according to Beldam (he's usually pretty good). The bridge class sign was of course a "5" on a yellow disk.

Hope this helps!
Old 27-07-10, 17:24

I have Jean Bouchery's Book 'The Canadian Soldier' from Dday to VE Day.
The '68' was on brown....but Geoff may know more than I.
Old 28-07-10, 07:30

Default carrier identification signs;

Thanks for the input from everyone.I have just returned from the Queens own Cameron Highlanders of Canada museum and after looking through their photo archives I still was unable to come up with a carrier photo.It is now 12:30 at night and I have searched through the Library and archives Canada photo's and still nothing.There was one photo of Camerons in their carriers on the move but they are Mk 2 carriers and nothing for tach or unit signs.Not even a bridge class sign on them.I am tired and going to bed! I'll try again tomorrow.Good Night.
Regards,Derk.
Old 28-07-10, 15:12

Derk, One of lads in the UK has a schematic showing all the vehicle markings.
Send me an email...I will forward the PDF file which I cannot upload to this message.
Cheers

Randy