MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 21-12-03, 17:38
M38A1 CDN3

Default Clansman

This post is a follow on to discussions with dougiebarder which started with a generator 300W query. The subject of Clansman came up.

Clansman refers to a modular system of British Army field tactical radios. Try to stay with me, and remember the Clansman definition as I relate a true story.

I walked into a local in Brampton, Ontario, Canada. Having a beer, I was approached by a chap who had the "Grenadier Guards" mien about him. I suppose the fact that I was in uniform led to his approaching me.

Right away he identified himself as "so-and-so", stating "I'm a retired Major General of the SAS".

Well, right away, I started sifting info in my creaky cranial data base...Wait a minute...the SAS was a Regiment therefore the highest rank could have been only a full Colonel, but most likely a Lieutenant Colonel, certainly not a Major General.

We chatted a bit, and the pieces were not falling into place. Servicemen throughout the world can detect bullshit almost immediately. Perversely, I led him on.

With reference to the SAS, I asked, what did you think of Andy McNab's exploits in the desert.

His reply: Oh, that's all nonsense, he wasn't even there.(!)

OK, I said, during further conversation, what did you think of 42 Commando's actions at Goose Green?

His reply: Oh, Commando, we haven't used that term since World War Two.(!)

(Uh oh, this bugger's digging himself in.)

I then asked if the SAS were still employing Clansman.

His reply: Oh, yes. If they pass the medical, we'll employ them.(!)

I drained my beer, and, to his face, called him a ****in' liar, and left.
Old 21-12-03, 23:52
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Default Commandos Everywhere

Jon, just read your post and found it very true to life and entertaining.
Yeah, i'm a fellow who on occasion has walked into a pub with my combat shirt on, I like it and it's comfortable. No, I'm not in the Army as any idiot would believe.
What I find amazing is the number of commandos out there!
I've met SAS, Green Berets, Seals, CIA spec ops, MI5 agents, Special Forces, Paras, Spetsnaz etc etc
Funny part though is that these fellows seldom know their history or facts, I guess the memory loss is due to the time they were taken prisoner and had to fight there way out single handedly while being wounded, crossing the desert and swimming 10 miles down the alligator infested river, stealing an ox cart, rappeling down a cliff into a waiting Junk when they met up with some travelling salesmen (who were international arms dealers)....
:
Old 22-12-03, 00:31
Matt

I wonder if the bloke had thought's of rednecks in white robes and hood's swinging on ropes on the assult course. Or had he seen soliders in artic camoflage and jumped to the wrong comclusion.
I don't know how you managed to keep a straight face as long as you did.
Oh and another thought you should have asked him if he thought it was a good idea to replace the clansmen with bowman-he probably would have informed you that we haven't needed bowman since the middle ages (just in case-bowman is supposed to be the new british radio system-if we ever get our fingers out and finnish it)