MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 27-02-10, 01:31

Default Ferret squadron for sale

Todays Adelaide advertiser on page 101 has the following.
Quote:
For auction March 6th

Under instructions from an Australian military collector, who is seliing his lifetime collection of 4 restored Ferrets Recon MK1 and MK2 scout cars.

Plus a spare MK1 which is not servicable along with hundreds of new RR Parts.

It is to be sold as a single lot

Inquires James Bruce 08 82322860
Hum I wonder what the little lady will say as they roll down the driveway.

Regards

Col

Hey Max there is enought for your whole family, can just see Ema patroling the property, at leasy no one will give her a hard time.

Regards

Col
Old 27-02-10, 02:01

I recieved a broshure in the post a week ago for the auction, but I think it is the wrong way to sell them. Not many people would want a full collection like that let alone have the money that would be on the reserve. It is a nice collection all the same. I am not familiar with the owner but they would have been better off selling things individually.
Colin.
Old 27-02-10, 06:27
Blitzed

Default ferrets

I'm sure I saw this collection for sale on milweb just a short while back but I can't seem to find the advert.
Old 27-02-10, 13:22

Default Ferrets

I remember it on Milweb too. I recall the asking price was $80k aust.
I wish them well.

It's not what you know
It's not who you know
It's what you know about who..
Old 28-02-10, 03:32
Phil

CRIKIES $80k... tell them they are dreaming! I recon the only chance they have of getting that sort of money is to sell them as single vehicles.

Phil...
Milt Land Rovers
Inc:- 58 "gun buggy", 60 FFW, 70 FFW, 71 10 seater Wgn, 69 GS.
M3 Stuart Light Tank "hybrid"
FV1600 Humber FFW/cargo
Mk1 Ferret scout car (waiting restoration)
Various trailers
Inc:- K38, "Ben Hur" 1 ton, 200 Gal "Humber" water tank Tlr, Aust jeep, Landrover recovery.
Milt Radios
etc etc...
Old 01-03-10, 00:43
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default we need a ferret

I too received a brochure in the mail. Why on earth would anyone want a Ferret .. they are a dime a dozen in the UK . Almost impossible to work on , everything is nigh on impossible to get at .

I can recall them being around $1000 each at the Govt. auctions in 1975 ish.
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 01-03-10, 01:59
Armour Owner x 3

Mike

Speaking as a Ferret owner, there are a lot of misconceptions around about them.
They are no more difficult to work on than any other Pommie armoured vehicle including the WW2 ones such as Daimler and Hummer and are easier to work on than any British tank other than Valentine.
The problems mostly start when people are too lazy to do the essential maintenance.

As to trying to sell 4 vehicles and spares as a "take it all" deal, then I too think they are going to be disappointed.

Regards
Doug
Old 01-03-10, 09:04
Phil

Talking about misconceptions and pomy vehicles...

On one occation when I drove a champ to a monthly meeting of the Qld Milt Jeep club had this one guy ranting that it takes 8 hours to change the spark plugs. I conceed it would take twice as long as a normal vehicle as you have to screw off the shielded leeds... but 8 hours? I made a mental note never to go to him for any automotive work, as he was a auto mechanic.

But also being a tank owner no armoured vehicle is easy to work on but if you approach it the right way and dont try and cut corners they aint too bad. Being also the owner of a 1 ton Humber the same goes for it too!

Phil...
Milt Land Rovers
Inc:- 58 "gun buggy", 60 FFW, 70 FFW, 71 10 seater Wgn, 69 GS.
M3 Stuart Light Tank "hybrid"
FV1600 Humber FFW/cargo
Mk1 Ferret scout car (waiting restoration)
Various trailers
Inc:- K38, "Ben Hur" 1 ton, 200 Gal "Humber" water tank Tlr, Aust jeep, Landrover recovery.
Milt Radios
etc etc...
Old 02-03-10, 02:43
Armour Owner x 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztankboy View Post
Talking about misconceptions and pomy vehicles...

On one occation when I drove a champ to a monthly meeting of the Qld Milt Jeep club had this one guy ranting that it takes 8 hours to change the spark plugs. I conceed it would take twice as long as a normal vehicle as you have to screw off the shielded leeds... but 8 hours? I made a mental note never to go to him for any automotive work, as he was a auto mechanic.

But also being a tank owner no armoured vehicle is easy to work on but if you approach it the right way and dont try and cut corners they aint too bad. Being also the owner of a 1 ton Humber the same goes for it too!

Phil...
Phil

I have repeatedly found the problem is that those who get into armour haven't done their homework. On more than one occasion I have talked new owners through the correct procedures for Ferret operation and maintenance and seen in their eyes they have absolutely NO intention of doing any of it.

That attitude may work with a Commodore for 100,000km, but it isn't going to fly with an armoured vehicles where everything is heavily loaded and
relies absolutely on everything being kept lubricated and adjusted.

These are also the same people who within a year or 2 want to sell their vehicle and I subsequently find out that the gearbox is stuffed or it had a blown hub or bevel box.

I have seen similar attitudes in aviation, the old saying "there are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there are no old bold pilots" is very apt.
It is as simple as reading the manual. But it is also a case of understanding the machine.

Recently I have had several phone calls from an owner of Pommie armour who wants me to solve his problems, but will not do any of the maintenance routines - surprise, surprise, he has had nothing but grief with it.
I can hear it in his voice, he doesn't say the words, but the attitude is unmistakably there "I am not interested in all that".

Regards
Doug
Old 11-03-10, 04:21

Default Results

My information on this sale was:
- Owner going to Canada
- A handful of people turned up
- Ferrets were very nice.... cosmetically
- No copies of the spares list available, except for a closley guarded copy with the auctioneer
- Price wanted was $120 000
- The lot of 4 Ferrets plus spares was passed in.
- No individual lots offered

One of the more unusual sales I have heard of....

Rich.
Old 13-05-10, 11:11
Blitzed

Default they're back

And here they are on ebay now individualy.
I'm sure there was five but I can now only find four. One may have sold I guess.
$15,000:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Ferret-Scout-...item1e5bd8618d

$20,000:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Ferret-Scout-...item1e5bd86637

$8,000:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Ferret-Scout-...item1e5bd86e00

$27,000:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Ferret-Scout-...item1e5bd87f01
Old 13-05-10, 13:41

Thanks Ryan, only wondering about them last week. Ferret "C" is missing.
Info. has been passed along to a few interested parties.
Rich
Old 13-05-10, 15:00

Whats with all the stickers plastered over the Ferrets?
Old 15-05-10, 14:49

Default Ferrets

Have you noticed in the description column in the e-bay pages, it lists the Vietnam War under "campains".

I can't recall any Australian Ferrets going to Vietnam.

I find the ARNs interesting too in the fact they end in a letter.

It's not what you know
It's not who you know
It's what you know about who..
Old 28-06-10, 02:16

Default "A" Ferret found

Bit of a surprise to walk in to a farm shed up the road last week to find one of the Adelaide Ferrets sitting in the corner. Had to fight of a tribe of kids for a sit in it, very clean and complete, appears to be missing only the episcopes, and the sand channels off the front. Also had a set of the original aluminium surround batteries. As yet it has not been run, it is next on the list though, so hope to see it on the move by the end of the year.
This Ferret had had a turret retro fitted by last owner, the owner previous to that had used it to round up his sheep.....
This was listed on E-Bay as "A" Ferret :
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Ferret-Scout-...item1e5bd86637
but was sold privately afterwards.
Wonder where the others will surface.,
I am just a little jealous.
Rich.
Old 09-07-10, 11:39

Default One Left

Last Ferret is on E-Bay, down to $9500.

Quote:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Ferret-Scout-...item1e5cee2ff9

"Restored Ferret Scout Recon Light Armoured Vehicle - Mk I

Now reduced by $5,500! MUST SELL! All offers considered!

Rescued from a country shed, this ferret has had extensive cosmetic restoration. All that was removable was taken apart and thoroughly processed to ensure that it looked as new. While we only have the word of the farmer who owned them as to mechanical working condition being “good” we were advised that they had a brake problem. The ferret minus the smoke launchers and appears complete, it stands on car jacks in a specially constructed shed and on exhibit there for the past 8 years, with batteries removed. The engine is turned by hand regularly to ensure eventual start and compression seems fine. Sold AS IS, we recommend inspection by a qualified mechanic.

This Ferret is one of a collection of five Ferret Scout Recon Cars. Three of the other Ferret cars are also fully restored (one Mk I and two Mk IIs). There is also a semi-restored Ferret and collection of thousands of fully catalogued, original Rolls Royce Ferret Scout spare parts that are being sold as separate lots. ** Note - all other Ferrets and parts are now sold **

The owner is an Australian military vehicle collector who is selling his lifetime (and much loved) collection due to illness.

About Ferret Scouts:
The Ferret Scout cars were introduced and developed in 1952 as replacements for earlier scout cars in Britain. Production ended in 1971 and 4,409 were produced and issued. Approx. 40 countries used the Ferret Scout Car since it was issued, in Northern Ireland in the 50's, in Egypt at the Suez Canal in the 60's and in Cyprus (United Nations) in the 70's. The British Army thought so highly of the Ferret Scout Cars that they took 40 "out of mothballs" and re-furbished them for use in the first Gulf War.

Condition: This Scout is being sold "as is" and as described.

Inspection: The Ferret is on display in Jabuk, South Australia (about 2 hours East of Adelaide) and any inspection is very welcome.

Information: The owner can be contacted directly for any questions (by phone or email). Additional photos can be forwarded (just send us an email). Any questions are welcome.

Shipping: The purchaser is responsible for removal, shipping arrangements, insurance and any associated costs.

Payment: An initial payment of AUD$1000 must be paid within 2 days of auction completion. The balance must be paid within the following 14 days. Payment can be paid by Paypal, Cheque, Money Order, Bank transfer or Wire. "
Wish I could spare the cash.
Rich
Old 18-07-10, 23:53

Interesting, what you are saying about owners not doing the maintenance on armour and then having problems. I've noticed the same with some owners in the UK. some do, some don't. the ones that don't usually wind up stuck at the side of the road in the rain waiting for a tow truck. Personally, I work on the basis that I do about two hours service and maintenance for every hour driving. What I find does make it hard work is not the complexity of the vehicle (My Humber LRC is fairly simple) but the fact that these vehicles were designed to be crew operated and so the tasks were split between three men. I usually wind up doing them alone on my return from a show or rally.