MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The Wireless Forum

Notices

Old 04-11-17, 18:41

Default 19-Set, A-Set Aerial Connectors

From what I can see in the literature, there are just three of these available:

Aerial Feeder Assembly No.9 - as used in the 15-cwt Wireless Trucks, connecting the Seating Plates No. 4 to the A-Set Aerial Base.

Connectors, Single No. 7C - used to connect the cast iron Telescopic Mast Aerial Base to the Seating Plates No. 4.

The rubber Transmission Lines attached to any of the horizontal aerials.

Does anyone have surviving examples of the first two, they can post photographs of, showing overall length and the connector fittings at either end? I think they are all single conductor (probably stranded copper wire) in a rubber sheath. They might have yellow rubber ID sleeves on them, or the brown, woven laquered sheaths. I would also like to find out what the end connectors are. I suspect the end fitting to Seating Plates No. 4 is some form of ring connector that takes a short metal stud, which is secured to the ring connector by a cheesehead screw and internal lock washer, The other ends of the first two cables could be a ring or a hook connector.

If these connector cables are simple single conductor items, and not coax, they should be easily enough replicated.

David
Old 04-11-17, 22:54
Junior Password Gnome

From memory, most of the wire used is "Cable, Electric, P11" and this is (I think) still in current use - it certainly turns up at various surplus dealers.

It's a tough rubber sheathed multistrand tinned copper core cable, as used for the feeder on the various wire aerials issued with the truck & ground station.

If you look in the Parts Identification List EMER (FZ256-3) that gives you all the (admittedly 80 year old) component details and the lengths of cable used.

Somewhere I have a (British) No.7C cable and it does look like an exact match for the drawing, but I can't go looking for it at the moment. ("Stay at home, keep warm, and rest." said the Doc, after the cold I developed as soon as I booked a week off turned into a chest infection that hasn't yet cleared up. )

The 7C feeder has 6-feet of P11 cable with a side-slotted 5/32" 10 amp solder lug fitted to the mast end and a "Clinch" (crimp?) 15 amp, 3/16" hole lug at the set end (plus the Plug, Aerial, Single, C1 and associated fixings).

The two aerial feeder assemblies I did find were for the WS38AFV and have a smaller (and slotted) plug on one end and a Ross Courtney terminal for the aerial base on the other, so that was no help.

I'm trying to remember where the correct aerial feeder is likely to be hiding....

Chris.
Old 05-11-17, 17:55

Chris.

Thanks for reminding me of that reference work. I will have to take a closer look at it with regards to these connectors.

Hoping to get the Mk III 19-Set fired up again later today to warm up and check out. If all looks OK (last run about 15 years ago) I am going to attempt netting with another Mk III set here in town next Saturday, November 11th. Might be the first time two 19-Sets have communicated here in Winnipeg since the late 1960's.

David