MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 23-02-18, 09:45
F60S

Default Cab 13 mystery brackets

I am currently re-building a 1944 F60S CAB13 and have two of the attached brackets to find a home for. Can anyone tell me where they fit? The two countersunk screws were holding a strap of something like canvass and it looks like they are supports for something like the choke and hand throttle cables but I cannot see any corresponding attachment points.
On the subject of the cables, what is the function of the slotted plate between the control knob and the cables themselves. I have yet to find a pair of these and knowing their function would make it easier for me to manufacture them for myself.
Old 23-02-18, 09:51
F60S

Default and now the picture!

Sorry I left the picture out
Attached Thumbnails
Bracket.jpg  
Old 23-02-18, 20:35
VMVC

Default Radiator support bracket

Hi Alastair,

They are the radiator support brackets. They fit inside the front of the cowl near the top and behind the radiator to prevent the radiator from moving back toward the fan. The two countersunk screws held a rubber pad to prevent damage or (squeaking?) at the contact point with the radiator. See attached photo from Maintenance manual. Brackets at top.

Choke and throttle rods: The slots in the rod I think are purely to compensate for any inaccuracies in the lengths. By moving the rod position at the slot relative to the shaft of the knob, one can ensure the throttle is all the way off with the knob pushed in and ditto for the choke knob.

Good quality replica knobs are available from Dennis Carpenter. Think I ordered 40 Ford Deluxe ones which were the identical shape and size.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0039.JPG  

Jacques Reed

Last edited by Jacques Reed; 24-02-18 at 01:05. Reason: added photo, rephrased slot and rod terms
Old 23-02-18, 22:01
VMVC

Default Ford CMP choke and throttle rods

Hi again Alastair,

Just re-reading your post you mention cables instead of rods for your carburetor. If you have a cable it could be you have a later '49-'50 Holley carburetor fitted. These had a swivel on the choke lever to accommodate the control wire from a cable. Earlier carburetors had just a ball and socket end on both the choke and throttle levers at the carburetor. First picture is a '49-'50 type with the swivel on the choke lever and the second type is the earlier type with ball and sockets at both choke and throttle levers. Throttle end not visible as it is on the opposite side.

It is easy enough to change over the choke lever to a ball and socket type if required.

All Ford CMP trucks used only rods from the carburetor to the knobs. The throttle rod had two slight doglegs in them to clear the fuel pump as per the third photo. 2 x NOS ones at the bottom. The choke rod was a straight rod from the knob to the choke lever.

Hope this info is of some use to you.

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
holley 94-1.JPG   IMG_0249.JPG   IMG_0848.JPG  

Jacques Reed

Last edited by Jacques Reed; 23-02-18 at 22:40.
Old 24-02-18, 10:06
F60S

Default Thanks

Thanks, Jacques. I am new to forums and I can quickly see the power of collective knowledge.
Old 26-02-18, 10:00
F60S

Default Control rods

Jacques, Sorry about the confusion rods vs cables. I have no evidence of either and will check for balls next time I visit the truck.
I would be most interested to know how to contact Dennis Carpenter as I do not have the knobs either.
Old 26-02-18, 11:45

http://dennis-carpenter.com/
This is a list http://www.vintagepartsource.com/ford%20parts.htm of many suppliers of Ford parts. It is often useful to check several of them. It is surprising how often I've seen different suppliers selling what appear to be the same repro parts at very different prices. Also, some might have NOS parts at virtually the same price as others are selling the repros for. In addition, some (openly) sell parts that they source from others on the list.
Old 26-02-18, 22:28
VMVC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair Thomas View Post
Jacques, Sorry about the confusion rods vs cables. I have no evidence of either and will check for balls next time I visit the truck.
I would be most interested to know how to contact Dennis Carpenter as I do not have the knobs either.
Hi Alastair,

No problems. When I replied I was thinking about my first CMP truck in the early nineties which had cables jury rigged to the choke and throttle. As it turned out, they were cut down Bren Carrier cables and knobs. For a long time I didn't know they were not the correct items. It was only until I started to obtain the various publications for the vehicle or saw other CMP trucks that I knew they were not original.

Luckily I held on to them after I obtained the correct rods and knobs, and 20 years later when I found out what they were, was able to pass them on to someone who could use them.

Moral of the story: Never throw out anything thinking it is junk until you determine what it is.

Cheers,

Jacques Reed