MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 31-12-17, 05:09

Default Block Heaters

Anyone know if these things have fallen prey to Energy Conservationists in the last few decades?

I know modern aluminum engine blocks do not hold heat in the Winter anything close to what the older iron block engines did. Even inside a garage, a new aluminum block engine is barely warm at minus 20 when started up after being plugged in all night.

Not picking on any particular company, but was curious if anyone has an old (50’s or 60’s vintage) block heater that fit a flat head Ford V8, that they know the rated wattage for. Be interesting to see if the wattage has been reduced for a block heater used in a modern Ford V8.

David
Old 31-12-17, 05:40

Hi David. Im not sure about a flat head V8 Ford engine, but about 5 years ago I installed a block heater on an older model diesel MF tractor. I found an online catalog that listed all the specs for various block heaters for many different automotive and industrial engines. I cant remember for sure, but this might be it the catalog I used: https://phillipsandtemro.com/wp-cont...rt-Catalog.pdf

If you know the diameter of the frost plug and the amount of clearance inside the water jacket, you can probably spec one out from the listings yourself.

The wattage seems to range from 400 watts to 1500 watts depending on the engine. You can compare what is spec'd for new and old engines in the listings for each manufacturer (go down to the agricultural/industrial listings to see the wattage ratings).

Hope that helps!

Last edited by Wayne Hingley; 31-12-17 at 06:02. Reason: add info
Old 31-12-17, 15:45
Terry Warner

Instead of trying to find something to clank onto a block, why not use the more modern route of an in-line coolant heater? Yes, it means splicing into a hose, but the effect will be more dispersed throughout the block and system.

If you are worried about purism, maybe get a second hose for when you have to open the hood for inspection.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 31-12-17, 16:25

Hi Guys.

Not so much worried about what to use. I’m just suspicious that, across the board, manufacturers of these things have quietly been reducing the wattage output of them, to make them more energy efficient. Haven’t a clue what they are rated at today but 40 years ago I think they were running 400 to 500 watts in an iron block engine.

David
Old 03-01-18, 16:27
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

I don't know where on a Ford V8 you could fit a block heater, considering the lack of freeze plugs, but the original GM accessory freeze plug was 400W 115v:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVY-GM-W-...BZ0sJk&vxp=mtr
Attached Thumbnails
GM2.jpg   GM1.jpg  
Old 03-01-18, 16:48

Default Heater Hose type

Hi David

I have one of those heater hose type heaters that have a one way flow check valve you connect it in line with the heater hose or some other convenient point in the cooling system. Then mount the heater as low as you can vertically. The unit heats the coolant and the thermosyphon draws the heat through the system.

I use one of these when I'm testing new engines to bring them up to temperature two torque the heads. Unit I have is relatively small 110v plugged in over night in 40F air temp in the shop it will take the engine up to 180F.

When I'm first starting a new engine with system on the test stand will take the engine through a couple of heat cycles to re-torque the head. Then when I'm ready to start the motor do the oil prime with the drill and pumping the oil into an already warm block warms the oil quite fast.

When used in a car in the winter it has the added advantage that you get heat out of the cars heater almost immediately.

With the weather we have been having may be looking for one to put on the plow truck.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 03-01-18, 17:43
carrier mech

One of my favorite block heaters to use on the older vehicles was the one that spliced into the lower rad hose. I used to use on a M38, and on a Manitoba winter morning, there was actually heat on startup. But when I went to buy one about 15 years back, I noticed a change. They had now included one of those little thermostatic switches on the heater to turn it off at a certain temperature. Now whether that was a conservation measure, or a safety measure, I knew I didn't want that style. Those little thermostatic discs seem to be the thing that will fail.

Re the flathead Fords, there were the blockheaters that would install in place of a headbolt.

The block heaters Phil talks about that go into the heater line are also a winner in my books. You can get them in wattage up to 1500W. I installed one years back on a HLVW wrecker that would be called on for crash duty in Moosejaw. The truck would start immediately on the coldest of days. Only problem was that you had to change the heater hose every 2 years. Even the silicone hoses I used for it would rot off form the heat, but it was a small price to pay for reliability.