MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > Tributes

Notices

Old 26-02-09, 11:00

Default Pip Borrman R.I.P.

Those Aussies who have marvelled at the aerobatic genius of Pip Borman (Hope I got the spelling right) will be saddened to here that he was killed at Sheparton yesterday, while practising for the Avalon Airshow.
He was a regular performer in the Castrol Edge 540, it had to be seen to be believed, the things he could do with that aircraft.....the laws of physics generally turned a blind eye when he was in the air.
Last I heard, it was thought to be a mechanical fault during a low level practice session
Old 26-02-09, 11:12
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Very sad indeed

Yes, Pip Borrman was certainly famous for his routine in the Edge. I used to bump into him at various airshows and interviewed him for the Tyabb DVD at some length in his hangar. He was a real gentleman and one of the best pilots I've ever known.
His death makes three I have known either through interviewing and working with in the very recent past. Tom Moon who was killed at Temora was a good friend.
Evidently he was being photographed or filmed at the time. I'm grateful I wasn't there behind the camera to witness it.
My sympathies go out to the friends and families of these three men.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 28-02-09, 01:19

Bev and I spent two weeks back in 98 with both Pip and Tom Moon (killed at Temora recently) on the Federal funded Australian Bicentenial Air Show which brought a full world class airshow to 10 Queensland outback towns in a travelling circus style of event. Hundreds of thousands of people travelled thousands of kilometres to see the shows.

I was in the more sedate program with a 1937 Beechcraft Staggerwing doing a few very limited manouvres for the crowd.

Tom Moon, ever the gentleman, did a very neat precise aerobatic routine. On the other hand Pip did an equally good display but with the showman's touch - fancy flying suit etc and talking on the radio through the loadspeakers describing each manouvre as he did them. Despite his spectacular "on-stage" performances you could not meet a nicer, down to earth fellow. Unlike many display pilots, Pip's routine was designed for business reasons not around an ego.

It's just part of the game and I have been to an average of one funeral a year for the last 40 years of military, display or working (crop duster, mustering, helicopters etc) aircraft pilots whom I knew personally. If you want to fly and don't mind the boring sector of aviation to gaurantee a long life fly airlines!

Lang

Last edited by Lang; 28-02-09 at 01:25.