MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 15-05-11, 01:59

Default M 577 Gate Guardian Kingston

Sorry about the quality of the pics.

This last week an as yet unidentified (ie no CFR) M577 was lifted onto a pad at the entrance to CFB Kingston at the newly named BEAMENT gate, this is the eastern most gate onto #2 Highway beside the communications museum.

There is as yet also no tac signs or unit markings. She is freshly painted and I'm presuming fully "monumentised" i.e. non runner fully stripped.

Will try to get back with a better camera in the coming weeks.

Sadly the plinth is low and the wall in front hides the lower portion of the vehicle.

Robin
Attached Images

Old 15-05-11, 05:28
carrier mech

It could just as easily be a runner. There seems to have been giveaways by DND to museums of M577s, M548s, and Bisons over the last year. Shilo got one of each, and all were runners, and in fairly pristine shape. I did have to replace the quill shaft on the M548 after it was towed off the trailer. It was kind of neat to drive one again, even just around the parking lot.
Old 16-05-11, 00:48
MUTT Guy

The Centurion Bridge Layer monument here in Gagetown was driven onto its perch. Same for most if not all of the rest of the "display" vehicles here around the Base. Seems to be standard fare at most of the Bases for that matter.

I think its only the ones on the economy such as at Legions and Armouries that seem to be gutted and welded up.

M548s were like race cars compared to a 113s, or god forbid a Queen Mary. We used to have two per Field Troop for hauling Explosives and Fuel. Although it was nice to have two less tracked vehicles to maintain when they left, the HLVW Cargos we got instead never really filled the void when it came to sheer utility. I know some 113s were converted into an "Armoured 548" of sorts, but i've never actually seen them in use.
Old 16-05-11, 03:10
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by armybuck041 View Post
M548s were like race cars compared to a 113s, or god forbid a Queen Mary. We used to have two per Field Troop for hauling Explosives and Fuel. Although it was nice to have two less tracked vehicles to maintain when they left, the HLVW Cargos we got instead never really filled the void when it came to sheer utility. I know some 113s were converted into an "Armoured 548" of sorts, but i've never actually seen them in use.
I found the M548s to be a maintenance nightmare. They seem to rattle themselves apart.

The pickup style variant of the M113 has made it's way into theater for a couple of years now.

Back to Robin's original entry, if you check over the rear hatch on the M577, the CFR or a serial number should be stamped in the hull there.