MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 11-10-05, 23:11

Default Oranization - Armoured Recce Regts.

If anyone can assist me by advising of the organization of recce regiments within Canadian Armoured Corps during Second War it would be greatly appreciated.

I am researching 4Princess Louise Dragoon Guards, the 1st Inf. Div's Recce Bn. in particular.

Also, if anyone could nail down exactly which vehicles in addition to Otter and Fox Arm'd. Cars were employed by above unit. I found reference to Hvy. Arm'd Car in letters from relative from 4PLDG but not certain which vehicle this would be.....

Tried posting this on Armour but no reply. Am writing Bio of relative killed in action at Naviglio Canal in '45 and need help.

Thanks a bunch
Old 12-10-05, 12:09

Default IV PLDG infantry

The IV PLDG's were the armoured recce battalion for 1st Div until the summer of 1944. At that time they were converted to an infantry battalion and served with the 11th Infantry Brigade until February 1945. The unit was then converted back to armoured recce. During the period that the Plugs were an infantry battalion, they kept the naming of squadrons for the infantry companies. This often leads to confusion about the role of the Plugs. They were heavily engaged as an infantry battalion in the fall of 1944 and until Operation Goldflake in the late winter of 1945.
Old 13-10-05, 15:21
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: IV PLDG infantry

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Alexander
The IV PLDG's were the armoured recce battalion for 1st Div until the summer of 1944. At that time they were converted to an infantry battalion and served with the 11th Infantry Brigade until February 1945. The unit was then converted back to armoured recce. During the period that the Plugs were an infantry battalion, they kept the naming of squadrons for the infantry companies. This often leads to confusion about the role of the Plugs. They were heavily engaged as an infantry battalion in the fall of 1944 and until Operation Goldflake in the late winter of 1945.
Hi Bill;

4th PLDG were a Recce Regiment, not Armd Recce and also they served as an infantry battalion in the 12th Inf Bde, not 11th, after being re-allocated to the C.I.C. from the C.A.C. They reverted back to the C.A.C. upon the breakup of the 12th, after arrival in the NWE theatre of operations and resumed their role as the Div Recce Regt for the Cdn 1st Inf Div in NWE from effective 15 Mar 45 onwards

Serial No. 580 - 4th Reconnaissance Regiment (4th Princess Louise Dragoon Guards), C.A.C. - Converted & Redesignated: Serial No. 580 - 4th Princess Louise Dragoon Guards, C.I.C. - GO 18/45 - Effective 13 Jul 44

Serial No. 580 - 4th Princess Louise Dragoon Guards, C.I.C.
Converted & Redesignated: Serial No. 580 - 4th Reconnaissance Regiment (4th Princess Louise Dragoon Guards), C.A.C. - GO 252/45 - Effective 15 Mar 45

Cheers
Old 13-10-05, 22:40

Default Error

Mark, my mistake on the 11th / 12th. Was going off the top of my head, obviously missing part.
What is the difference between recce and armoured recce? My understanding was that they were basically the same? I know that the 4th and 5th Div "recce" regiments had really evolved into armoured support regiments by the end of the war, with not as much emphasis on the recce task.
Old 13-10-05, 23:49
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Recce/Armd Recce

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Alexander
What is the difference between recce and armoured recce?
Hi Bill;

The simple answer:

The Recce Regts (1st, 2nd & 3rd Inf Divs) - were wheeled (and/or carrier) borne

The Armd Recce Regts (4th & 5th Armd Divs) - were tank (track) borne

the Recce Regts:

4th Reconnaissance Regiment (4th Princess Louise Dragoon Guards), C.A.C. - 1st Inf Div

8th Reconnaissance Regiment (14th Canadian Hussars), C.A.C. - 2nd Inf Div

7th Reconnaissance Regiment (17th Duke of York's Royal Canadian Hussars), C.A.C. - 3rd Inf Div

the Armd Recce Regts:

29th Armoured Reconnaissance Regiment (The South Alberta Regiment), C.A.C. - 4th Armd Div

3rd Armoured Reconnaissance Regiment (The Governor General's Horse Guards), C.A.C. - 5th Armd Div

Cheers
Old 14-10-05, 00:12

Default Corps/Army Recce

And RCD's, 12 D's, were recce, wheeled. As well the HQ 1st Cdn Army Defence Sqn (RMR's) were wheeled armoured cars.
Old 20-10-05, 06:10

Default Recce WE from old MLU forum

Not my area of expertise but blundered over this thread while poking around the old MLU forum. Hope it helps?

http://www.network54.com/Forum/threa...s%2C+NW+Europe

Applicable post by Martin Schenkel:

Quote:
The Canadian War Establishment for a Divisional Reconnaissance Regiment, CAC, dated Feb/44 indicates the following vehicles on strength:

Motorcycle, Solo - x55
Car, 5-cwt - x10
Truck, Heavy Utility, Personnel - x1
Truck, Heavy Utility, Computor - x1
Truck, 15-cwt, GS - x12
Truck, 15-cwt, Water - x4
Truck, 15-cwt, Armoured - x33
Lorry, 3-ton - x22
Scout Car, or Light Recce Car (Armoured) - x24
Carrier, Universal - x63
Carrier, Universal, T16 (Gun Towing) - x12
Carrier, Universal, 3" Mortar - x6
Armoured Car - x28

The WE for the same type of unit dated Mar/45, is unchaged, except for the addition of x10 Trailer, 10-cwt, GS.

How the WE relates to actual units in the field, I cannot say!
Old 19-04-24, 15:30
MLU Administrator

Default Truck, 4x4, H. U. Computer Chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by klambie View Post
The Canadian War Establishment for a Divisional Reconnaissance Regiment, CAC, dated Feb/44 indicates the following vehicles on strength:

(...)
Truck, Heavy Utility, Computor - x1
(...)
File posted by Mark Twostar in the MLU FB group:

Click image for larger version

Name:	437947362_1515527972720172_773816627870370342_n.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	137482