MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > Military Shows & Events

Notices

Old 22-07-06, 01:53
Mr. HUP

Default BB1 - Where The Hell is Hammond?

Bob's BBQ 1 is scheduled for the weekend of 12/13 August 2006. A detailed schedule will be posted as soon as we tie up a few loose ends.

Where the hell is Hammond? Hammond is a nice little town in Eastern Ontario close to Chateau Carriere. In fact, Bob lives between the villages of Cheney and Hammond.

The best routes to access Bob's BBQ/campsite are along highway 417. Route cards (marked BB1 with directional arrows) will be posted along the route at major intersections, starting at the major exits.

The routes to Bob's place are quite easy to follow.

From the West:

Follow 417 through Ottawa. Continue on 417 towards Montreal.
Take Exit 96 at Carlsbad Springs or Exit 88 at Vars.

From the East:

Follow 417 West towards Ottawa .
Take Exit 79 at Limoges or Exit 88 at Vars.

At the Exits, look for the BB1 Route Markers, eg:

From Exit 96 (Carlsbad Springs) proceed North to intersection of road 26. Turn right (East) on 26 and drive to the village of Cheney. As you approach Cheney, you will see a government surplus outlet on the left side of the road. Continue East at a reduced speed and look for an intersection (Drouin Road) located between a corner store/gas station and a restaurant (Chez Marie). Turn left (North) on Drouin and follow the route markers.

From Exit 88 (Vars) proceed North on 33 to intersection of road 26. Turn right (East) on 26 and drive to the village of Cheney. As you approach Cheney, you will see a government surplus outlet on the left side of the road. Continue East at a reduced speed and look for an intersection (Drouin Road) located between a corner store/gas station and a restaurant (Chez Marie). Turn left (North) on Drouin and follow the route markers

From Exit 79 (Limoges) proceed North on 37 to intersection of road 26. Turn right (East) on 26 and drive to the village of Cheney. As you approach Cheney, you will see a government surplus outlet on the left side of the road. Continue East at a reduced speed and look for an intersection (Drouin Road) located between a corner store/gas station and a restaurant (Chez Marie). Turn left (North) on Drouin and ...you get the picture.

See the following URL for a road map of the area: http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/tra...eets/Map11.pdf - zoom in on Vars/Limoges etc...

The camp site will be “primitive” in nature – in other words there will be very limited electrical (mostly for lighting) and some potable water available. Portapotties will be provided.

Two shelters have been set up; one for cooking and one for gathering. They may be used for camping if inclement weather strikes.

Garbage bins will be provided.

There is plenty of parking available for campers/trucks/cars/vans/CMPS/SMP etc...

More admin details to follow!
Old 22-07-06, 23:37

Default Good Directions

Bob - sent me these direction when I came up a month ago, and I actually found his place without getting lost once. It wasn't till I left that I turned left out of his driveway instead of right and promptly got lost.

Wish I could join you. Cheers and lift one for me. Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 07-08-06, 03:19
Mr. HUP

Default BB1 (OR 2) UPDATE

Well, the Duke of Hammond recruited another Rotter on Saturday. Welcome to the fold, Grant. Today, Bob, Grant and I continued with the preparation for BB1 (or 2 for those of you who do not like "0").

The fire pit has been carved out and lined with cement blocks. The firewood is stationed nearby. The portapotties arrive on Friday. Mess tents get finished on Thursday. The water suppy has been cleaned up and refilled. Provisions are being stocked up. Tables and chairs are ready for pickup. BBQs have been sorta/kinda cleaned up.

The only glitch so far is that our favourite restaurant in Cheny (the one and only) Chez Marie seems to have closed its doors. Not to worry, Bourget is only five minutes down the road and is home to a nice restaurant located on Champlain road south - just across from the LCBO!

The agenda for the weekend has changed a little as well. Friday PM is set up and an informal meet and greet. A few beers and burgers by the fire, topped off with a good BS session. Saturday morning will start with breakfast at Bourget, followed by a tour of the famous Carriere Barn and stock yard. More BS followed by lunch - probably more burgers etc... the afternoon includes a C-15 tear down (frame is shot) and hopefully a chat with some of the local Iltis club members. Disspelling myths and raising awareness of this unique little truck being the order of the day. A chat on the new (proposed) firearms legislation and its implications will be discussed with a local expert, who can also answer any hypothetical questions...
Alex Blair and his trunk full of manuals will also be gracing our presence.

Saturday night is steak night where $12.00 buys a chef Bob special including corn. slaw or potato salad. Pop and water will be for sale (all proceeds going to the expenses related to the event). There will be water for washing, and some electrical access.

The "Bring your own" list includes:

Self/better half and off-spring,
CMP/SMP/MV,
Camping supplies/or hotel arrangements,
Libations (beer, etc... will not be sold at this event),
Cash for pop/burgers/steak,
Bug juice (many children are flown off every year by the dreaded Hammond mosquito),
MV knowledge,
BS stories, and most importantly
Sense of humour

See you in Hammond!

Last edited by RHClarke; 07-08-06 at 03:25.
Old 07-08-06, 14:32
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default BBB#2...

I'll get Rob trained yet...This is BBB#2...I know because we were both at BBB#1 but he had to leave early ,so I guess ,for me this is BBB#2 and for Rob ...BBB#1 1/2....
Any one wishing manuals for the event can contact me off line and I'll bring to the BBB#2 see my manuals list here..

http://www.dana-nield.com/d32/blair/...7/Default.aspx

I'll need to know today or tomorrow at the latest to have them ready for Friday..
Old 09-08-06, 17:31
3RD ECHELON WKSP

OK, need info.
As I am driving down from the far north to be at this most important event, I take the drive as an entertaining sidebar. Who knows what I may see or find. Last weeks trip to Montreal was wrought with many rocks, trees, lakes, more rocks, more trees and more lakes. The only curiousity was the wild turkey gawking at me from the roadside. Too bad he didn`t step out...
Anyhow, my question
how far is Hammond from Laval?
am I better to drive down through central Quebec to Ottawa or take the Ontario route via North Bay, the river and follow down thorugh Petawawa and Arnprior???

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 09-08-06, 18:09

Default This tells me lots..."Far North..."

Quote:
Originally posted by chris vickery
OK, need info.
As I am driving down from the far north to be at this most important event, I take the drive as an entertaining sidebar. Who knows what I may see or find. Last weeks trip to Montreal was wrought with many rocks, trees, lakes, more rocks, more trees and more lakes. The only curiousity was the wild turkey gawking at me from the roadside. Too bad he didn`t step out...
Anyhow, my question
how far is Hammond from Laval?
am I better to drive down through central Quebec to Ottawa or take the Ontario route via North Bay, the river and follow down thorugh Petawawa and Arnprior???
Chris ..
Where are you located when you start this trek...??

Sounds like you are in Moosonee or Chibougamou and want to start from there..

I know where you want to go but can't tell where you are from the posting..

If you are in Laval you sure don't want to go through North Bay and if you are in Georgetown area,go 401-416 to Ottawa,through Ottawa to Cheny...30 KM EAST of Ottawa and 10KM north of the 417...
Cheney to Laval about 40KM less that Ottawa-Laval...

here are directions from 417...
Thanks to Rob Clarke...

Print these out..

Where the hell is Hammond? Hammond is a nice little town in Eastern Ontario close to Chateau Carriere. In fact, Bob lives between the villages of Cheney and Hammond.

The best routes to access Bob's BBQ/campsite are along highway 417. Route cards (marked BB1 with directional arrows) will be posted along the route at major intersections, starting at the major exits.

The routes to Bob's place are quite easy to follow.

From the West:

Follow 417 through Ottawa. Continue on 417 towards Montreal.
Take Exit 96 at Carlsbad Springs or Exit 88 at Vars.

From the East:

Follow 417 West towards Ottawa .
Take Exit 79 at Limoges or Exit 88 at Vars.

At the Exits, look for the BB1 Route Markers, eg:

From Exit 96 (Carlsbad Springs) proceed North to intersection of road 26. Turn right (East) on 26 and drive to the village of Cheney. As you approach Cheney, you will see a government surplus outlet on the left side of the road. Continue East at a reduced speed and look for an intersection (Drouin Road) located between a corner store/gas station and a restaurant (Chez Marie). Turn left (North) on Drouin and follow the route markers.

From Exit 88 (Vars) proceed North on 33 to intersection of road 26. Turn right (East) on 26 and drive to the village of Cheney. As you approach Cheney, you will see a government surplus outlet on the left side of the road. Continue East at a reduced speed and look for an intersection (Drouin Road) located between a corner store/gas station and a restaurant (Chez Marie). Turn left (North) on Drouin and follow the route markers

From Exit 79 (Limoges) proceed North on 37 to intersection of road 26. Turn right (East) on 26 and drive to the village of Cheney. As you approach Cheney, you will see a government surplus outlet on the left side of the road. Continue East at a reduced speed and look for an intersection (Drouin Road) located between a corner store/gas station and a restaurant (Chez Marie). Turn left (North) on Drouin and ...you get the picture.

See the following URL for a road map of the area: http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/tr...heets/Map11.pdf - zoom in on Vars/Limoges etc...
Old 09-08-06, 19:37
3RD ECHELON WKSP

sorry Alex, I guess you need to know where I`m at to figure this one out. I would be coming down from La Reine QC which is N of Royun-Noranda.
Typically I go back to my place at Rockwood ON via North Bay which is about 4 hours to the south.
I was thinking the ride across the top of Algonguin would be nice and follow the river going past Petawawa and Arnprior.
My second choice is to travel through Quebec to Laval then on to Ottawa. It is about 7 hours to Laval.

1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,

Old 09-08-06, 20:55

Default Cool....

Quote:
Originally posted by chris vickery
sorry Alex, I guess you need to know where I`m at to figure this one out. I would be coming down from La Reine QC which is N of Royun-Noranda.
Typically I go back to my place at Rockwood ON via North Bay which is about 4 hours to the south.
I was thinking the ride across the top of Algonguin would be nice and follow the river going past Petawawa and Arnprior.
My second choice is to travel through Quebec to Laval then on to Ottawa. It is about 7 hours to Laval.
Chris..
Jeez man,you're so far in the bush ,you would have to come out to hunt..!!
You are pretty limited but the fastest ...shortest way is south on the 117 and then on to the 101 to Temiscaming..Hit the 63 in Ontario for a few miles and pick up the 533 to Mattawa....Down the 17 to Ottawa,which becomes the 417....stay on it right through Ottawa 30 KM east and pick up your exit ,north to the thrash..
Vars or Limoges exits and follow Robs directions...
If you go to the Limoges exit go north through Limoges and the road turns 90 to your right....(You are almost there)...about 1/2 KM turn left on Samaure Rd(I think it is,,,it is the only rd there...)
Go north about 3 km till you stop and turn right....Cheny is up the street about a quick beer...
Turn left at the indicated signs and Bobbys is at the top of the hill..
The first time I went that way Bobby says..."""Oh...no sweat..Just head nort' t'roo Limoge til you hit the Cheny rd and you are 'Der.."
He didn't tell me about that little Samure Rd bit and Tabernac...I ended up in Ecum Secum, Nova Scotia..so watch for it..
See you there....
Old 11-08-06, 05:08
Mr. HUP

Default Route Markers are Up!

For those who get easily "geographically challenged" (can't read a map), route markers/cards have been deployed at the Carslbad Springs, Vars and Limoges exits. Take your time driving these roads - the turtles are migrating, and the police are looking for some excitement...

The route markers are 8.5 x 11 white paper marked BB with a directional arrow affixed. The markers are in plastic envelopes and are posted mainly on DOT signposts or telephone poles.

Larger navigation aids (posters) will be set up in Cheney and at the entrance to Bob's CMP vehicle park on Friday.

Bring your long underwear - cold beer and 10 degree C weather could chill things off...

See you in Hammond!
Old 13-08-06, 18:29
Mr. HUP

Default BB1 in the Bag

They came, they saw, they ate, they drank, and they departed.

Bob, wonderful job organizing and hosting this great event. I really enjoyed the weekend.

I'll leave the more detailed descriptions of what transpired to others ...gotta make up time with the family.
Old 13-08-06, 21:10
T-16, C15A

Default Great Fun

Rob,

I agree 101% - Bob has himself a winner.

I had a splendid weekend seeing some old, and even some new faces. I even met another guy named Stewart!

The steaks were huge, as were the potatoes and salads - all top shelf eats - and well cooked too.

I am already looking forward to BB2 ( or as Alex will call it "BB3")

Stewart

PS - Jordan Baker - Alex sent something for you - I have it at my place the next time you drop by you can get it.
Old 14-08-06, 00:32

Default Re: Great Fun

Quote:
Originally posted by Stewart Loy
Rob,

I agree 101% - Bob has himself a winner.

I had a splendid weekend seeing some old, and even some new faces. I even met another guy named Stewart!

The steaks were huge, as were the potatoes and salads - all top shelf eats - and well cooked too.

I am already looking forward to BB2 ( or as Alex will call it "BB3")

Stewart

PS - Jordan Baker - Alex sent something for you - I have it at my place the next time you drop by you can get it.

Hi Stew..
You made it home ok..Yes we had a great time at BBB#1.....
The lads ganged up on me , although they admitted we DID have a BBBQ last year ,it was only a dress rehearsal for the real thing that would "OFFICALLY "become BBB#1....Eastern Ontario's-Western Quebecs answer to the fabulous CC series of events held at Chatsworth every June ,waiting to be CC6....
The Iltis-Trailer combination machines that came were the focus of much attention and admiration..
Many CMP antics were observed at "'Da Shed"..I believe Clive was the official photographer and should be posting some pix along with others..
Great time Bob..Rob ,and the ladies of the terrible two...
Great show guys..
Now at BBB#2..........
Old 14-08-06, 01:09
Mr. HUP

Default Re: Re: Great Fun

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex Blair
The Iltis-Trailer combination machines that came were the focus of much attention and admiration..
Alex,

I think the Iltis displays were wonderful. Some folks are having a change of mind. The attached photo does the little jeep justice.

Anyone going to tell about Clive's nudie shots?
Attached Thumbnails
iltoid.jpg  
Old 14-08-06, 03:31

Excellent get together, all the important people where there !!! It was certainly worth the 14+ hour round trip and great weather as well. Looking forward to BB#2, was great being able to put some faces to some familiar names. Good job Bob ,and of course Rob Clarke and both their better halfs who helped out !!!

Jeff
Old 14-08-06, 17:21

Default Re: Re: Re: Great Fun

Quote:
Originally posted by RHClarke
Alex,

I think the Iltis displays were wonderful. Some folks are having a change of mind. The attached photo does the little jeep justice.

Anyone going to tell about Clive's nudie shots?
Rob...
I wasn't going to say anything about Clive running around nude,but since you brought it up..I was laughing so hard I couldn't keep my camera steady...Someone should have a shot of it though....
I tried to get the ones of him dancing around the bon fire...Maybe Don Dingwall got some shots of him....
Old 14-08-06, 17:42
RIP

Aww...c'mon guys. Quit kiddin' around.

Seriously, the only nudie shots were stripped bodies and bare frames....of CMPs. I will try to get the photos organised tonight.

(If ever I get so drunk that I strip down in front of a bunch of you guys it would leave you with a permanent sense of inadequacy!)
Old 15-08-06, 15:35
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Thanks Bob for the hospiltality, sorry I was only able to come for the day but it was definately worth it.
Nice to meet some of the people I only hear about or talk with on the pc.
Well done!

1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,

Old 23-08-06, 02:49
RIP

Default Photos of BB1

In no special order. Bob explaining those damned short and long axles to Marc Montgomery (left) and Chris Vickery (centre)

Stewart Loy and Jeff Caldwell pretending that they are listening to Bob while looking for loose parts to bring home.

Alex Blair (in red) explaining that he will smoke wherever he damned well pleases!!
Old 23-08-06, 02:52
RIP

Don Dingwall (cente) holding court with an attentive Jason Ginn (right) really listening while Don's son (left) pretends that he hasn't heard this before.

A gaggle of MLU'ers trading lies about how big their....trucks are.

Just some of the wildflowers growing outside Bob's workshop.
Old 23-08-06, 02:55
RIP

Rob Clarke pointing to yet another frame (probably his and his Residential Sargent Major still doesn't know about it.)

Another MilVeh that the group just tripped over. The CMPs were in the workshop or under cover and didn't get photographed this time around.

Jason thinking that he can get a lot more 'borrowed' parts home if he fills up the trailer instead of stuffing his pockets.