MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > Military Shows & Events

Notices

Old 02-10-11, 04:57

Default War horse...the play

Gentlemen....and mainly in the Toronto area. An old college classmate of mine called me the other day requesting some help. The subject is "The War Horse" the book, the script, the play and soon to be a movie, directed by Steven Speilberg.
The play which is currently playing in London and New York is a powerful script about a young boy and his horse at the outbreak of World War1. The horse is sold by the boys father to the army and shipped to the front. Rather than go into a great explanation of the play, you can Google it and see for yourself. Really worth the look!!!
Mirvish productions of Toronto will enter into rehersals this fall for the Toronto premiere of the play in the new year.
I've been asked to try and source out musems, regiments etc etc and mainly historians that can talk with the actors (35) about daily life in the trenches and the misery and human emotions that all soldiers and animals suffered during the War to End All Wars.
I think, based on my conversation with Charles, it would definitely be a rewarding life time experience, not to mention you'd probably get a couple of free tickets!
If you think you can provide some help, contact cchu@mirvish.com. The gentlemen's name is Charles Chu and he would be forever greatful. If you have any queries from me, contact me via the forum or rob.mor@shaw.ca.

Thanks very much for your time and enjoy.....Robert
Old 02-10-11, 10:28
Dennis Gelean

Default ww1 coming movie

The cast should visit the Peace Tower in Ottawa to get a true feeling of animals in ww1. The magnificent stone arch carved with images of animals,
reindeer,pack mule, horse and dog, the humble beasts that served and died
as inscribed. There is also images of canaries in a cage and mice above the words The Tunnellers' Friends.

Now if you live in Ottawa and haven't seen this Take some kids and post some pictures here.

this post is dedicated to Joseph (Joel) Paulson, bn in Sask. buried in England.
My uncle. Dennis Joel Adair Gelean, Adair was his friend, served together and died together.
Old 02-10-11, 18:03

Default War horse

Hi Dennis: Thanks for your insite and comments. I know the producers have been in touch with the War Museum in Ottawa and there's talk of a bus trip there. And you have touched on ALL the various animals that were utilized in this conflict. Hopefully some historian can give them the insite and depth of the sacrifices made by our 4 legged friends.

Keep the comments and knowledge coming.....Robert