MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 11-04-15, 01:05

Default Valuation Suggestions

I picked up my M37 wheels and new tires at the local tire shop today. The tire man who did the work was very careful and I only have a couple of marks to touch up. I thanked him for the extra effort and he asked me if I knew anything about jeeps. One of his relatives has an older restoration 1947 'jeep' that her husband owned and after his passing, is looking to sell it. Since I know nothing about MBs or M38s, I am looking for anything that they could refer to or someone they can contact for assistance in determining a fair value. This unit is located on central Vancouver Island. I have not seen it and have no stake in the outcome. I can forward any suggestions to them if posted here or sent to me by PM.

Jess
Old 11-04-15, 04:55
carrier mech

You cannot compare a military jeep against a CJ. The CJ will be worth about 1/2 to at best 3/4 of what a similar condition military jeep is worth.

Without photos and a better appraisal of the mechanical condition of the jeep, I would have to start the ball rolling by suggesting between $1000 for a fixer upper, to about $4500 if it is just about turnkey.

A lot depends of course on the quality of the older restoration. One man's "full restoration" is another man's rolling bondo.

Just had a look on ebay at completed auctions for willys jeep and for CJ2. If the restoration is real clean, and the jeep ready to roll, you can possibly see in the $7-10K range. But for that money, it has to be real clean. Yellow seems to sell the best.

Last edited by rob love; 11-04-15 at 05:19.
Old 11-04-15, 06:38

Default Valuation

Thanks Rob, I did the same when I came home from the tire shop and without pictures and a look at the data plate, its almost impossible to say what it might sell for. I will try to get some pictures and post here which might help in narrowing the range. I think there is some emotional value on the part of the owner, as it was her husbands. I was told that somebody offered to do a bit of paving in exchange for the jeep, which makes me think that it may be worth something. I hate to see anyone being taken advantage of and hope they do get a fair value eventually, whatever that is.

Jess