MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 17-09-08, 15:53

Angry British Government to deport Gurkha veterans?

HI Kids

Last night I saw a piece on BBC World News that said the British administration is deporting Gurkha veterans who were discharged before 1997. Some nonsense about the Gurkha Brigade not being bsaed in England until 1997. At least one of these gentlemen was a VC. I am going back to the BBC website for more details, but what say we all?

Bob
Old 17-09-08, 15:58

Default Me again with a link

As usual, my facts were a bit wonky.

Here is the link to the story:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...re/7329431.stm

But the piece I heard last night made it sound more universal than just one soldier. Even one is an outrage.

Bob
Old 17-09-08, 23:43
Alan Bumford

Default New Neighbour

The house two doors away has a new family moved in last month and its a Gurkha who has just left the army after 17 years service. They are great guys and he seems a really nice bloke, and i think they have more than earned the right to stay here !
Old 18-09-08, 02:25

I served with the Gurkhas in Belize, brilliant blokes.

I also help to raise money for the Gurkha Welfare Trust, a charity set up to help Gurkhas at home in Nepal. For the last 2 years we have climbed Helvellyn in Cumbria to commemorate the Gurkhas part in capturing Hangmans Hill during the Battle of Cassino in WWII. The reaction from the general public at base camp truly shows what the British public think of the Gurkhas, we raised over £1000 in the first year and more than £2000 in the second. I would like those in authority to see just what these men mean to the British public.
Old 18-09-08, 08:53

What often gets missed in this agrument is the contribution the returning soldier make to the local economy when they go home.

If they all decide to decant to the UK at the end of their service whats the advantage for Nepal of allowing its citizens to serve.

They have also been saying on the local news over here that any other nationality can gain British citizenship after serving 4 years in the British Army. If correct I would increase this to at least 10 years.