MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 26-10-09, 04:10

Default Ford 13 cab with odd features

While near Perth, Ontario last year I found this Ford that was still earning its keep on a farm. I didn't notice any data plates on the truck but find that it had a few details that seemed odd. The truck appears to be a late F60l that was cut and fitted with a tipper deck, but I must admit that I didn't really notice how the frame was modified. Note the double "Ford Canada" stamped below the headlights.

Has anyone seen doors with removable inner panels? I at first thought that these may have been cut, but I later noticed that the bead-rolled indentations were not in the normal star-burst pattern. The door-tops were extremely well done and obviously help when the truck is being used as a snow plow.

The truck is also fitted with a bulged hood, à la the F22, and a heavily modified inner engine cover. The domed panel on the top of the inner engine cover is virtually identical to a cover on an articised GPW hood that i have.

Could these mods be part of an articisation kit? Has anyone seen other trucks with these features?

I wish that i had better pictures to show the details more clearly.

Thanks,

J
Attached Thumbnails
Perth F60 2.JPG   Perth F60 3.JPG   Perth F60.JPG  
Old 26-10-09, 09:25

Default Ford

Doors are very late , there is a pressing in them for attaching a lubrication diagram on one side and a wiring diagram on the other side. Bubble on the bonnet is on all late fords with a frame around the radiator. First bubbles were spotwelded in , later ones were pressed in.
Old 26-10-09, 12:56

Default Doors

The rolled reinforcements look like they were arranged to fit around the depression in the door, I agree that makes it look more factory than owner modified. On the other hand, there is nothing inside a normal CMP door that needs access (except the latch that is accessed through a small plate at the top of the door. Is there any chance that the "access covers" are actually the lubrication and wiring diagrams painted over enough times that any profile has been lost?
The pads to mount the standard side screens are still there so I think the window setup is probably an owner modification.
With regard to the frame length, there were 2 lengths of rear overhand made. The shorter version had just enough frame behind the spring hangers to mount the tow hook mountings, the longer was 12 to 14 inched longer. The people fitting the dump bed would likely have have cut the frame just behind the last crossmember (which is in line with the spring hangers) to reduce the overhang, help dump angle and coincidentally reduce stresses in the frame.
Old 26-10-09, 13:22

Default Ford

Yes the plates attached on the doors with 6 screws are the Lubrication/Wiring instruction plates , they are plain alluminium with black printing on.
Old 26-10-09, 18:36

Thanks for the info!

Were these changes introduced during late 1944 or early/mid 1945? I have never noticed them before, but then again i don't think that I have ever seen a Ford as late as this one. Everything around here seems to be 1942-43 vintage.

If anyone had an image of a truck fitted with legible wiring and lube charts I would love to see them!

j
Old 26-10-09, 21:28

See these threads for some info on the door plates
http://www.mapleleafup.org/forums/sh...rication+plate
http://www.mapleleafup.org/forums/sh...rication+plate
Old 26-10-09, 21:39

Thanks Grant!
It is amazing how much info is on this forum. I searched "door" "door stamping" "inner door" before posting these images and never found those threads!
Old 26-10-09, 23:51

Default Clean the plates

I found that a little soaking with brake fluid and wipeing removed the paint of my plates and it was salvagable. It was worn and scratched before the paint was applied but it cleaned up pretty well.
Old 08-11-09, 23:40
Chev44

Default Red truck

J:
Found those pics of this truck that I took a year or two before it got moved across the road to where you took shots.

Sweet truck. Too bad it's a Ford.....
Attached Thumbnails
P0002580a.JPG   P0002576a.JPG  

'Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government.'
Old 09-11-09, 02:53

I just love that it's still being taken care of and used. There can't be many CMP's left in Canada that are still being used as work trucks!

j