MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 19-04-11, 06:27

Default Trailer for a friend!!!

Gentlemen: Got a call today from a client whose looking for a Military Trailer for off roading and/or camping. Found one on Craig's List....A model CDN 101. A bit pricey. We are located in lower Mainland B.C. and would like to buy one locally. Any contacts...or price we should be looking at???

Re gards....Robert Morrison
Old 22-04-11, 05:19

Thumbs up Stuart...your the man!

Hi Stuart: Thanks very much for the insite on the trailer. As I said before, I'm no expert in this field....just trying to help out a client/friend.
There is one currently for sale locally in camo finish, but I haven't seen it or a photo of it. Its still wired for 24 Volt. Asking price is $1100.00 CDN.
I'd appreciate your comments on the price. Many thanks....Robert
Old 22-04-11, 15:15
carrier mech

The M101Cdn2 is the best built 1/4 ton trailer in my opinion. The 1/8" steel re-enforcing on all the corners combined with the solid steel grab handles make it extra tough. There are the LED type taillamps available on e-bay these days which will work on both 12 and 24 volt, and are the correct pattern for these trailers. I think they are priced at just $25 a lamp....well worth it.

I had 28 of them, but only one left now which I am keeping. These things sold themselves, and I still get the odd call for them. I should have bought the other 17 that I had an option on.

$1100 seems a bit pricey. I know there are half a dozen out this way for less than that price, but they are a fair bit out of your way for delivery.
Old 23-04-11, 04:37
aut viam inveniam aut fac

given the scarcity of these trailers, or any quarter ton trailer, i sincerely hope you encourage your friend to opt for a NON military trailer for his offroading...something that he may cut up or otherwise modify to suit his needs better.

There are usually people on this collection, restoration, and preservation forum who are seeking such a scarce military trailer... perhaps you could list the advert so that it may possibly end up in hands of someone who appreciates it for what it is and will preserve it for use and display in context.
Old 24-04-11, 06:53

Thumbs up Gentlemen...many thanks!

Stuart, Rob and YES Marc! Many many thanks for your input on this little enquiry. The deal was done on Friday for $1000.00. The unit is in very good shape and requires some touch up painting where there's surface rust. It is registered and there are happy campers all the way round.
Rob...I knew you had a bunch of these and I was going to approach you next. I even thought of throwing one on the transport of the Prototype HUP from Lockport in the next couple of months. Just waiting for the floods to die down.
And yes Marc....I echoed your sentiments as well, prior to my friend buying the unit. He is well aware of value of it as far as Canadian history goes and has sworn on a stack of bibles....He will not alter it in any way shape or form!! He's actually looking for a good original top for it, if anyone out there in ODG Land has one to sell??
Once again, happy campers all round....better than a Chocolate Rabbit! Cheers all ....R
Old 24-04-11, 08:32
M38A1 CDN3

M100 trailer tops available from Brian Asbury (BCA, this forum).

Last known price:$90.00CAD.

3 colour cam pattern.
Old 25-04-11, 04:07
Brian Asbury

Default M101 wheel bearings

Stuart's advice of checking the wheel bearings should be well noted. My trailer had a cracked wheel bearing race. Close inspection showed the bearing was made in Romania! My apologies to Romania, but I'd rather see Timken USA on them. Also if you got original tail lights with your M101 then check the bulbs - probably made in China like mine.
For all the good aspects of this trailer there was cost cutting on the hidden details.
... Brian
Old 25-04-11, 15:20
carrier mech

Cheapest bid wins, and you won't get the cheapest bid using domestic made goods.

Seems like the bearings on these trailers may have been a bit undersized for the usage. We had a special inspection on all the trailers in the mid 90s due to the bearings, and I have seen plenty more of them fail than on the old M100s.

There was also a TFR and a military recall on some of the made in china bulbs. Despite their 24V part number, they turned out to be single filament with a very short life, much akin to a 12 volt.

The original tail lamps for these trailers are not DOT or SAE approved, and technically should not be on the highways. The new LED versions are SAE approved, and are far better lighting. And as I mentioned earlier, will work from 12 to 36 volt.

The majority of these trailers saw little or no use. If they had, another weak spot on them (I suspect) will be the simple spring bushings and shackles, which feature the cheap nylon sleeves.

Last edited by rob love; 25-04-11 at 15:26.
Old 26-04-11, 06:58

Default Embarrased!

Gentlemen: To you generous contributors, to my little M101 trailer dilema, I have a confession to make. The trailer that was purchased was NOT an M101 CDN but an American M416 dated 1968. I was fed the wrong info! The seller told my friend that it was the same as the 101 and that is what the unit was referred to.

I guess the seller figured the buyer knew his military trailers. So that said, the deal is done and I phoned Brian Asbury and got an NOS vinyl top for it today. Price...still $90.00 CDN plus shipping, if anyone else is looking.

Once again fellas, thanks for your help.....just don't shoot the messanger!!