MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 22-05-11, 02:03
"Sid and Errol's Dad"

Post In Their Footsteps

It might be late news to most Aussies here, but Channel 9 are currently screening a series called "In their Footsteps". Each week the wartime history of an Australian serviceman/woman is researched and one lucky member of that family gets to travel to different parts of the world to visit significant sites, war graves, and even survivors who knew their deceased family member.
The way the story is presented shits me a little... too many "Pregnant Pauses" and suspense and drama building, rather than concentrating on the facts. But I still recommend it as a good watch and it can be a bit of an eye-opener for the Kids, too.
Sunday nights, 6.30 on the 9 network.
Shows that have already aired can be viewed on line: LINK
Lest we Forget
F15 #12
F15A #13 (stretched)
F60S #13
C15A #13 Wireless (incomplete)
Old 22-05-11, 03:56
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Manufactured emotions

Last week's show had a scene set at the Temora Aviation Museum. I didn't catch that part of it but museum personnel who were there for the filming explained the poor woman was hanging around waiting for each 'moment' to be manufactured.

The format is of course a spin-off of the successful genealogy series which is typical of commercial TV - they see a success and milk it for all it's worth.

The other aspect is there seems to be an element of the game show where the subject is suddenly given a gift or opportunity like "You're going to have a ride in a Spitfire" smacks of "You've just won a new car".

The thing to keep in mind with commercial TV is the content is there to attract an audience to watch the ads which after all are what pays for the service. Shows which have some real interest are a bit of a bonus.

Yet despite the treatment and manipulation of the storytelling the subject matter is nonetheless compelling.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 22-05-11, 05:15
Terry Warner

Thirty years ago I learned about Least Objectionable Broadcasting from a Sir George Williams University communication arts graduate. It used to be nature shows, then games, then talk shows, now reality programming. Themes involving family history connections are harder to do than the average viewer would think. The producer has to set up the moment, have the crew rolling and get the right reaction from the cast. Amateurs don't always react how or as expected.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 22-05-11, 06:07
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Capturing the moment

I agree with your point Terry, as a producer of documentaries I have found capturing the moment is indeed difficult, even more so with a scripted story such as this, and particularly with a large crew. The less obtrusive and invisible the crew, combined with a flexible unfolding story the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maple_leaf_eh View Post
Thirty years ago I learned about Least Objectionable Broadcasting from a Sir George Williams University communication arts graduate. It used to be nature shows, then games, then talk shows, now reality programming. Themes involving family history connections are harder to do than the average viewer would think. The producer has to set up the moment, have the crew rolling and get the right reaction from the cast. Amateurs don't always react how or as expected.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern