MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 26-04-12, 07:24
Tony VAN RHODA

Default What are these brass plates

Hi All

I have just aquired a couple of Brass Plates and I have no idea what they are for, I suspect for a Jeep but I don't know where they go or where fixed on a vehicle. I am hoping someone out there has seen them before and can enlighten me.

Cheers

Tony
Attached Thumbnails
DSC02390.jpg  
Old 26-04-12, 12:38
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Plates

The top one looks like a poor replica of the Australian Nomenclature plate.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 26-04-12, 13:58
Jeep guy in CMP world!

Hi mate,

I agree with Keith about the top one. The bottom one looks like a poor reproduction of the shipping plate fitted to later MB's/GPW's- i think late 43 was when they started being added, but definitely by some time in early/mid 44.

Anyway, hope that helps.
Ian.

1942 Script Willys MB, sn:131175
1942 Script Ford GPW, sn:11730
1944 Ford GPW
1943 #3 GMH jeep trailer
1945 #4 GMH, RAAF jeep Trailer
SOLD: Ford F15A. Aust. #? Office Body.
www.vintageengines.net
Old 26-04-12, 15:12
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Plates

Keith - Ian

Thank you for the update on the brass plates. I was not sure what they were for as I have not seen them on any Jeeps and from the dates you advised definately not for my 1942 MB Jeep.

Cheers

Tony
Old 26-04-12, 22:42

I agree with Keith and Ian: poor quality reproductions.

However, the genuine Australian nomenclature plate was retrofitted to many (most?) Australian MVs in service, as well as to newly acquired ones as they were assembled by the contractors. So a genuine or good quaility repro of the plate is a worthy addition to your Australian jeep dashpanel. I have seen them filled out as both a hand stamped, rough as bags job, or as deeply etched, perfect lettering (I have examples of both finishes). Does your jeep dash panel have four small holes that you can't account for, somewhere about the middle? The distances are about 3 inches apart horizontally, and 2 inches vertically (I'm guessing on the measurements until I can find the plates!)

There is also the aspect that a sizeable proportion of the jeeps that arrived in Australia, particularly those in the last 18 months of the war, were US rebuilds, and not new production vehicles. Hence, you may have a 1942 jeep, but that does not indicate necessarily when it arrived in Oz. It may have had a history somewhere else prior to being used to fulfil an Australian supply contract.

Regards

Mike C
Old 27-04-12, 02:34
Tony VAN RHODA

Default More information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cecil View Post
I agree with Keith and Ian: poor quality reproductions.

However, the genuine Australian nomenclature plate was retrofitted to many (most?) Australian MVs in service, as well as to newly acquired ones as they were assembled by the contractors. So a genuine or good quaility repro of the plate is a worthy addition to your Australian jeep dashpanel. I have seen them filled out as both a hand stamped, rough as bags job, or as deeply etched, perfect lettering (I have examples of both finishes). Does your jeep dash panel have four small holes that you can't account for, somewhere about the middle? The distances are about 3 inches apart horizontally, and 2 inches vertically (I'm guessing on the measurements until I can find the plates!)

There is also the aspect that a sizeable proportion of the jeeps that arrived in Australia, particularly those in the last 18 months of the war, were US rebuilds, and not new production vehicles. Hence, you may have a 1942 jeep, but that does not indicate necessarily when it arrived in Oz. It may have had a history somewhere else prior to being used to fulfil an Australian supply contract.

Regards

Mike C

Hi Mike

Iam learning more about Jeeps everyday..I cannot find any small holes in the middle of the dash to indicate that there was ever any small plates attached there. The sizes of the two brass plates are as follows:

NOMENCLATURE: 8 cm X 5.5 cm
VEHICLE TRUCK 1/4 TON 4X4: 8cm X 4.5cm

Maybe I won't put them on the Jeep.

I also have another Plate. 14cm X 4 cm fixed in the middle of the dash which was on the Jeep when I purchased it. This indicates the vehicle was reconditioned on 2/8/45 by a USA company, Stewart and Stevenson. I have no idea how or when the Jeep turned up in Australia.

Cheers

Tony
Attached Thumbnails
DSC02393.jpg   DSC02394.jpg  
Old 27-04-12, 03:28

I agree that the plates you have, being poor repros, would not be going on my jeep, but a genuine plate would be appropriate if you can find one.

The rebuild date is, in US parlance, 8th of February 1945, so not too late to be sent to Australia. What is the chassis number? The US dates are in the order Month-Day-Year (yea, odd, eh?)

The original/genuine Aust nomenclature plate is 75mm x 55mm ( I found mine!)

Mike C

Last edited by Mike Cecil; 27-04-12 at 03:40.
Old 27-04-12, 11:19
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Quote:

Regards

Mike C
Thats interesting .

When I was 16 , I worked pumping petrol in a petrol station. One day, a WW2 Jeep turned up on a trailer . I was stunned to see a real one , not on TV or the movies . I was all over it like a rash . It had a U.S. rebuild plate on the dash , somewhere in Arizona from memory , crazy the things you remember .
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 27-04-12, 15:04
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Chassis number

Quote:
I agree that the plates you have, being poor repros, would not be going on my jeep, but a genuine plate would be appropriate if you can find one.

The rebuild date is, in US parlance, 8th of February 1945, so not too late to be sent to Australia. What is the chassis number? The US dates are in the order Month-Day-Year (yea, odd, eh?)

The original/genuine Aust nomenclature plate is 75mm x 55mm ( I found mine!)

Mike C
Hi Mike

Yes mate the plates won't be going on my Jeep. My Chasis number is: MB163331.

Cheers

Tony
Old 29-04-12, 00:44
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Here is the "Original Style" plate that was fitted to my Jeep. I use the inverted commas, as due to the style of rivets used, it is apparent that the plate was re-fitted or added at a much later point in the vehicle's life and may have not been period original.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Census.jpg  
Old 29-04-12, 02:28
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Tony beat me to it!

But for interest, here's one for a CMP. Interesting point is the overstamping where the vehicle was apparently modified from a GS No2 to Fire Tender.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 29-04-12, 02:43
Tony VAN RHODA

Default The original plate

Hi Tony - Kieth

Thanks for the update, that is the first time I have seen an original plate and I can now see the differences. I can see how as a newcomer to restoration how easy you could be led astray with non original items.

Cheers

Tony
Old 29-04-12, 02:43
Tony VAN RHODA

Default The original plate

Hi Tony - Kieth

Thanks for the update, that is the first time I have seen an original plate and I can now see the differences. I can see how as a newcomer to restoration how easy you could be led astray with non original items.

Cheers

Tony
Old 30-04-12, 03:30
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

As pointed out by others, these were fitted to a variety of Aust Army vehicles. As Keith has started the ball rolling by showing a Blitz one, here's a couple of others; Blitz Ambulance, and Studebaker.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3599.JPG   IMG_0425.JPG