MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 31-07-06, 12:09
RIP

Default Dim Lights Bright Lights

Hi all

When I first started restoring Chevrolet instrument panels, as usual, I obtained the best NOS speedometer and instrument faces to replicate. My first speedometer face just happened to be a “Bright Light” face and several old panels I obtained were all the same. Lately though the ones I have been obtaining have a “Dim Light” face. Of course I didn’t discover this immediately until I was comparing instrument serial numbers and found that I had two different numbers for the speedometer face. Shock, horror, where did this “Dim Light” come from and what was its history.

I consulted one of my guru contacts who told me the following. Prior to about 1938 there was basically no beam indication in a speedometer. In about that year Pontiac and Chevrolet built in a low beam indicator and that was described on the speedometer face. In the late 1940s, apparently after many complaints from army drivers, the wiring was changed to allow a high beam indication and that was reflected on the new speedometer face. I do not doubt the veracity of this story but would be interested for any corroboration. As an aside apparently the British were high beam indicators right from the start.

Apart from having to create new artwork to cater for this new face I now also have to create the odometer numerals that marry up with the “Dim Light” speedometer. So those of you who are waiting for a restored Chevrolet panel, we now have to wait for the new decals.

Murphy strikes again.

Bob
Attached Images

Old 31-07-06, 17:14
T-16, C15A

Default Waiting patiently ...

Bob,

Here is a picture of where I am thus far. I suspect that you will be done before I am ...

Stewart
Attached Thumbnails
c15 werk.jpg  
Old 31-07-06, 21:54

Boy you sure did manage to do lots didn't you. I guess getting the truck to face the other way in the garage is quite a chore :dh: Also did the CMP boogy man scare you, cause your shorts are rather "SCC2" colour in a certain area.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 03-08-06, 04:44

Default What are you looking for????

.... did you misplace the engine.......

Me think youse gong backward.... it ran when you got it....look at it now......sounds like you got my "maladie"........

Must watch my French now that I know the Aussies get all excited when they see French....... a mon cher!!!!!

To Monsieur Bob W......... I am puzzled... did Cab 11 circa May 40 have high beams.....???? ..... I have a few civvy 40 instrument clusters and they have the high beam dot/bar but not sure about my cab 11........

Am considering getting an Aussie overhaul on my dash..... from what I have seen quality wise ahem!!!! and if any one of you question Bob's fees check out Chevy Bow Tie rebuild clusters... I believe he uses real Gold paint to the lettering but charges around $500 US buckaroos......

BooBee
Ps..... I am prepared to wait for the new decals....hahaha
Canada
Old 03-08-06, 21:24
T-16, C15A

Default Still Not Ready for the Dash

Bob,

I got bored yesterday and decided to get going on that shop in the backyard. My brother came over to help, so we got a lot done yesterday. I am still a few days away from putting a truck in there to fit the dash.

I will give myself a short break to venture up to Ottawa for a burger. I better try to get that cable out also!

Stewart

Jordan will note that I got my best 'Sunday go to church' short pants on for this photo.
Attached Thumbnails
framed.jpg  
Old 03-08-06, 21:46
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default 24" centers

Stew...
Are those studs on 24"centers...???
If so, don't be in there if it snows...
Old 04-08-06, 01:21
RIP

Default Cab 11 Instruments

Bonjour Monsieur Bob C

Unfortunately most old panels I obtain are ex. truck so I don't have any idea of their origin or year of manufacture. I don't know whether there is a difinitive answer to which type of panel fitted where as most would have come off the shelf from their manufacturers and Ford & GM would have taken what they could get. It's one of those areas where I need to take a lot more notice of Blitzs I come across and also to ensure that the panel is original to the truck. Quite often the GM panels still have the manufacturing details stenciled on the rear of the speedometer but you would have to remove the panel to obtain those details.

Maybe Keefy can come up with an answer.

Bob
Old 05-08-06, 03:56

Default One heck of a Gin palace....

First..... yes thanks Bob....will follow on the PM...... hard to tell what they had to work with back inthe 40s when parts were hard to come by.....

Stew....... couldn't you guys afford a proper scaffolding????? with my poor eyesight I think one of you guys is not wearing any pants and just a tool belt......

Alex.... he is building a garage not a CMP he doesn't a safety factor of 50++...... seriously a lot will dpend on the outer skin and how ridig.... if Stew plans on using pressure treated screwed in 3/4 inch plywood he might get by......

Strange when all the comment come from people not with STew helpin him with the "erection"...... sorry couldn't help myself...better not revert toFrench now or we will get all the Aussies aroused!!!!!

BooBee
Canada
Old 06-08-06, 02:28
T-16, C15A

Default Re: One heck of a Gin palace....

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Carriere
Stew....... couldn't you guys afford a proper scaffolding????? with my poor eyesight I think one of you guys is not wearing any pants and just a tool belt......

Alex.... he is building a garage not a CMP he doesn't a safety factor of 50++...... seriously a lot will dpend on the outer skin and how ridig.... if Stew plans on using pressure treated screwed in 3/4 inch plywood he might get by......

Strange when all the comment come from people not with STew helpin him with the "erection"...... sorry couldn't help myself...better not revert toFrench now or we will get all the Aussies aroused!!!!!

BooBee

Bob,

'Scaffolding'? - because it was so hot here last week the concrete guys would not pour the cement for me - you should have heard the carpenters moan about having to put the ladders up on the crushed stone 'floor'. Then to hear that my brother and I were going to "help" - I just about had a wildcat on my hands! You will notice that my one hand on the header does not actually count as 'helping' so I don't have to get into the union. And the photographer caught my brother with his hands out of his pockets ...

The zoning on my property has just changed to residential - so the studs are 24" apart - just like residential construction here. If I were smart enough to figure out how to be a farmer, and the land was zoned 'agricultural' the studs could be spaced every 4 feet apart!

The walls and roof get strapped with 2x4s and then a layer of steel "BarnMaster' style siding gets screwed on. All of the various tradesfolks ( foundation formers, wood delivery guy, truss crane operator, etc.) all have super-duper ideas on insulating, heated floors, insulated mezzanine storage, radiant tube heaters, etc., etc., etc.

But it is just a CMP garage. If I behave, I may be allowed to BBQ and drink beer with my CMP friends when it is done.

Stewart
Old 08-08-06, 03:28

Default Bare essentials.....

Stew

Make sure you have at least one dedicated electrical outlet for the BEER fridge.....

See you soon
Canada