MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 16-11-06, 19:07
Vets Dottir

Default TEXAS Priority Post to BC

Hi,

Someone sent out a Priority Post small package/envelope from Arlington Texas to come here to me in the SE corner of BC.

Sent: Monday Nov 6.

Thursday Nov. 16th today, and it ain't here YET!

Is the package coming by dogsled, or what???

Anyone from Texas ever sent a priority post from Texas to Canada, especially BC, and how long did it take???

Thanks
Old 16-11-06, 19:55
Dave Demorrow

vetts
calm down. it sometimes takes 30 or so days for something to get from texas to the ontario area. its only prioriety in the USA. when it crosses into canada customs and the canadian mail slow WAY down. it will probably show up in the next week. unless it gets inspected, then just hang it up for another week.

dave
42 6LB GUN
and the list keeps growing, and growing.... i need help LOL
Old 16-11-06, 20:08
Vets Dottir

Thanks a lot Dave, I'll chill some then, as will the sender who keeps asking me, "Did you get it YET???" I guess we both just assumed that the "Priority" part would work both sides of the border ... dogsled it is then

I have some "concerns" about my unlockable mailbox on the outside of the house and my neighborhood, and try to watch for deliveries when expecting things. Even Priority Post Canadian style is just left in the mailbox by the carriers.

Vets
Old 16-11-06, 20:41
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Priority post..

Caermaenski
I send manuals to Texas and send them expedited post...insured and traceable..Canada post hands them off to UPS at the border and it can take 10-12 WORKING days..
I send a manual by express post to BC(as far as Texas is from here) and it is two days..
The difference is cost...borders...customs etc..so distance is not the only factor in the Post office..
You'll eventually get it and depending on what the value stated by the sender,you may be pleased to find that you will be contributing to the Canadian Government coffers for taxes and duties...
Do you still want it really fast now..????
Old 16-11-06, 21:08
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Priority post..

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex Blair
Caermaenski
I send manuals to Texas and send them expedited post...insured and traceable..Canada post hands them off to UPS at the border and it can take 10-12 WORKING days..
I send a manual by express post to BC(as far as Texas is from here) and it is two days..
The difference is cost...borders...customs etc..so distance is not the only factor in the Post office..
You'll eventually get it and depending on what the value stated by the sender,you may be pleased to find that you will be contributing to the Canadian Government coffers for taxes and duties...
Do you still want it really fast now..????
Thanks Alex. I understand it's a "process" to go the loops of "WORKING" days to get here.

It's only a CD on the way If I have to pay anything on this end then I'll likely be in trouble I assume Post Office would also hold things for a while until paid for/picked up.

Caermaenski
Old 16-11-06, 21:23
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Re: Priority post..

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
Thanks Alex. I understand it's a "process" to go the loops of "WORKING" days to get here.

It's only a CD on the way If I have to pay anything on this end then I'll likely be in trouble I assume Post Office would also hold things for a while until paid for/picked up.

Caermaenski
Hi Carmski.
It dosen't matter what it is actually worth,it is what the sender states it is worth..
A CD may have any content..
A CD of an engineering program would have a commercial value of ,say $1000.00 ..
If you stated that on your declaration you may have to pay duties and taxes on that value..
A CD full of pictures of your friends or kids that you send to family ,for instance,in the value column of the declaration you should put "NCV" which stands for No Commercial Value..
Then your CD will come to you duty and tax free..This would apply to many things ..as long as they have no commercial value ,that should be stated and the $$$$ amount should say "$0"...
Printed Matter such as photo copies should also be declared as such...and the same NCV added....

Old 16-11-06, 21:37
Vets Dottir

That's all good to know for future reference Alex. Thanks again
Old 16-11-06, 22:15
David Gordon

I mail out books all the time from Texas and can get one to England or Austrailia in five days going normal airmail. Same book and shipping method to ANYWHERE in Canada takes from 15-35 days for some reason. Priority Mail is only within the USA and takes 2-3 days from here to Anchorage so it must go over Canada to get delivered.

Things coming south tend to be fast as a letter from Canada takes only about five days and packages take 2-3 weeks if going expedited.

Likely your package will arrive safely unless it contains something considered to be restricted now in Canada. This will include anything weapons related as well as things that are unknown to the inspectors since they might be weapons related. In most cases, that is only a delay though and your goods will proceed once cleared.
Old 16-11-06, 22:31
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by horsa
I mail out books all the time from Texas and can get one to England or Austrailia in five days going normal airmail. Same book and shipping method to ANYWHERE in Canada takes from 15-35 days for some reason.
I wonder what's with Canada's slow processing then. Amazing.

Thanks Horsa
Old 17-11-06, 01:30
RIP

Quote:
I wonder what's with Canada's slow processing then.
Canada used to be very quick but then we spent millions of dollars in process improvements and succeeded in getting things slowed down to a manageable speed. A few more million and a couple of years more and we should be able to get the mail to stop altogether.

All joking aside, when researching an article on the Gatling gun in the 1880s (in Canada) mail would be sent from Brockville to Ottawa and arrive the same day! At times early enough for the recipient to send a reply in time for evening pick-up and morning delivery back in Brockville. Distance of about 50 miles (80km).
Old 17-11-06, 01:34
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Originally posted by servicepub
All joking aside, when researching an article on the Gatling gun in the 1880s (in Canada) mail would be sent from Brockville to Ottawa and arrive the same day! At times early enough for the recipient to send a reply in time for evening pick-up and morning delivery back in Brockville. Distance of about 50 miles (80km).
Gee, Clive, I'm impressed. All I can say is that you don't look your age.
Old 17-11-06, 01:49
Vets Dottir

Quote:
By a Canadian Pony Express or canoed along a river?

Karmen
Old 17-11-06, 02:11
RIP

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
Gee, Clive, I'm impressed. All I can say is that you don't look your age.
And to think that you still have a couple of years on me....
Old 17-11-06, 02:12
RIP

Quote:
By a Canadian Pony Express or canoed along a river?

Karmen
Actually, by train. But remember, the mail had to be sorted (at both ends) and then delivered. All of this in time for the recipient to get a reply into that day's pick-up.
(note serious tone of response )
Old 17-11-06, 02:22
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Actually, by train. But remember, the mail had to be sorted (at both ends) and then delivered. All of this in time for the recipient to get a reply into that day's pick-up.
(note serious tone of response )
Serious tone of response noted and appreciated, Clive. I was actually seriously wondering/asking how they transported the mail and could only think of horse or boat/canoe. Trains never occurred to me Still have a lot of edumacating to go for this Little Miss Ma Yappy

Karmen
Old 17-11-06, 16:19
Derek Heuring

Default Re: TEXAS Priority Post to BC

Quote:
Hi,

Someone sent out a Priority Post small package/envelope from Arlington Texas to come here to me in the SE corner of BC.

Sent: Monday Nov 6.

Thursday Nov. 16th today, and it ain't here YET!

Is the package coming by dogsled, or what???

Anyone from Texas ever sent a priority post from Texas to Canada, especially BC, and how long did it take???

Thanks
I have sent all types of mail from letters to small and large packages to B.C. and elsewhere in Canada many times. A letter takes 5-6 days. For the others, it depends upon the declared value. If it's worth less than $50.00cdn the small package will arrive in 2-3 weeks. Large packages and items that are dutiable first go to Montreal where they are opened and inspected, and possibly stolen. This very slow process takes 5-6 weeks. Using Fedex or UPS doesn't help, the Postal workers in Montreal still demand their due.
Old 17-11-06, 18:54
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: TEXAS Priority Post to BC

Quote:
Originally posted by sapper740
Using Fedex or UPS doesn't help, the Postal workers in Montreal still demand their due.
Geez, Canada postal service sure sounds glitchy. No wonder couriers companies are so busy :dh:

Karmen
Old 22-11-06, 18:21
Vets Dottir

Default It's here!

Well, a huge envelope was poking out of my mailbox today ... the CD arrived. It took 16 days from Texas to here. Not as long as I was figuring after reading you folk's comments in here.

Am totally enjoying listening to some Cajun music (the awaited CD) with my coffees and cigs while I do my online thing, this morning

Cajun Karmen